Preview Changes for GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Could we include both Lobb and Croft. Why have a 4 headed monster when you could have a 5 headed one.

If we played Gards in the ruck and moved Timmy fwd we could have a 6 headed monster.

Is there a mythical 6 headed monster?

A couple of things play into selection this week. Because of the draw and short turnaround, I think the GWS game and the Sydney game have to be considered together in terms of selection.

Both are top tier opponents, the first away, the second at home.

In this instance, I'm not in the one game at a time camp.

Player management, who would be better playing in or being exposed to what environment, recuperation and match ups.

This is a very complex selection imo and is not just for this week.

Sydney is the game that I would target. Giving our best and most promising players the best chance of being physically up for the game. Stand alone Thursday night fixture under the lights and roof at Marvel against a current top 2 team.

And by Thursday next week, I think there's a chance Sydney might be a bit banged up and travel weary. Possibly vulnerable.

Happy to trot out a few war horses against GWS.

Last edited:

A couple of things play into selection this week. Because of the draw and short turnaround, I think the GWS game and the Sydney game have to be considered together in terms of selection.

Player management, who would be better playing in or being exposed to what environment, recuperation and match ups.

Sydney is the game that I would target. Giving our best and most promising players the best chance of being physically up for the game. Stand alone Thursday night fixture under the lights and roof at Marvel against a current top 2 team.

And by Thursday next week, I think there's a chance Sydney might be a bit banged up and travel weary. Possibly vulnerable.

I really don’t think we can afford to be planning ahead too far like this. We have no idea how players will pull up, what if they’re perfectly fine? Not sure it’s wise to be resting players because they might potentially be tired in a weeks time. Easy to overcomplicate things sometimes one week at a time is the best option

I really don’t think we can afford to be planning ahead too far like this. We have no idea how players will pull up, what if they’re perfectly fine? Not sure it’s wise to be resting players because they might potentially be tired in a weeks time. Easy to overcomplicate things sometimes one week at a time is the best option
I'm disagreeing in this instance.

I think it's important for a few developing players to play at home against Sydney on a Thursday night and then 8 days later against Collingwood on a Friday night and to do so in the best possible physical condition. Both big occasions and Collinwood will be a sell out.

I've identified the following players as being in this category.

Darcy, Freijah, Cleary, JOD and Buss.

So my thinking goes that if I want them to play in those 2 games, do I want them to play against GWS with 5 days between that game and Sydney?

The answer, in my view is no, so my thoughts have evolved over the week to manage all 5 against GWS to consider the bigger picture that is now a block of 3 games.

Should we be looking at moving Arty to hb or a wing rather than a forward. Could replace JJ or is his kicking no good?
It may not be should we, but in order to see if Arty can have an AFL career it may be we need to. We should be giving him the best opportunity to succeed in the longer term not just try and plug a hole in the short term

I think it's important for a few developing players to play at home against Sydney on a Thursday night and then 8 days later against Collingwood on a Friday night and to do so in the best possible physical condition. Both big occasions and Collinwood will be a sell out.

So my thinking goes that if I want them to play in those 2 games, do I want them to play against GWS with 5 days between that game and Sydney?

The answer, in my view is no, so my thoughts have evolved over the week to manage all 5 against GWS to consider the bigger picture that is now a block of 3 games.
The theory behind this is solid, though they are all different and you could also throw Gallagher in this mix too.

Cleary has been in the system long enough that playing all 3 games given he has just got in will do him more good than harm.

Freijah also just in should just be monitored and if his body is showing signs of stress maybe run him as the SUB instead of resting him in one.

Darcy entirely on how his body is holding up given it takes 4 pre seasons for full base fitness development. Though he is not at Darcy's level Lobb is a handy backup.

JOD and Buss can initially swap if need be. Buss should make his debut next week at home, in saying that JOD has a more mature body and worked into some form on the weekend so for him I would again be looking at the fitness team.

The theory behind this is solid, though they are all different and you could also throw Gallagher in this mix too.

Cleary has been in the system long enough that playing all 3 games given he has just got in will do him more good than harm.

Freijah also just in should just be monitored and if his body is showing signs of stress maybe run him as the SUB instead of resting him in one.

Darcy entirely on how his body is holding up given it takes 4 pre seasons for full base fitness development. Though he is not at Darcy's level Lobb is a handy backup.

JOD and Buss can initially swap if need be. Buss should make his debut next week at home, in saying that JOD has a more mature body and worked into some form on the weekend so for him I would again be looking at the fitness team.
Fair points. Perhaps the point that we both understand is that this is the time you have to utilise the squad rather than run the same players into the ground in successive weeks.

If it were 7 days between each game, perhaps none of this would be much of a consideration. But a 5 day turn around is a spanner in the works that has to be mitigated so very much a consideration. St Kilda when they played us, ordinary as they are and were, gave us some insight there.

I tend to think that part of the reason we recruited the likes of Lobb, Poulter, Bramble and Baker and retain Keath and Gardner is for this very scenario. We have some young talent on the list and we need to give consideration as to the circumstances under which we expose them whilst also developing them.

Last edited:
I'd also expect us to go into this game with a lot of options for midfield rotation so Sanders probably does come back in.

Harmes is an interesting one. Bevo, to this point, either hasn't been inclined or hasn't shown his hand with tagging opposition mids.

With Daicos looming for the Pies and Gulden/Warner/Heeney for Sydney, might not be a bad time to experiment on someone like Tom Green.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Play your best team against GWS and try and get the win then worry about the five day break after the game. Yes, GWS is an away game and Sydney is a home game but they are in better form. I do remember a pretty good win against GWS at that ground in 2016. Be pretty disappointed if we are not fired up against a team we hate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Play your best team against GWS and try and get the win then worry about the five day break after the game. Yes, GWS is an away game and Sydney is a home game but they are in better form. I do remember a pretty good win against GWS at that ground in 2016. Be pretty disappointed if we are not fired up against a team we hate.
I had to do a spreadsheet to work this out. Basically, I want to see a team of promise play 2 games in a row at home against good opposition whilst not being hamstrung by a taxing schedule.

I started with the team I want to see run out against the Pies and want to make only 1 change from the Sydney game. Worked backwards from there.

1715648816567.png

He's been thrown those jobs in the past. Went to Sicily the last two Hawks games (no comment!)
West was pretty good against Sicily the end of last year. The htb in the goalsquare was the best moment. He missed the game the other week v Hawks cause of suspension which didn't help us.

Resting a player who hasn’t even debuted yet sure is a new theory ! Along with a player who played half a game in his first game of the season?

Yeah not sure about this take

Resting a player who hasn’t even debuted yet sure is a new theory ! Along with a player who played half a game in his first game of the season?

Yeah not sure about this take
TBF, whilst Buss probably won't play seniors this week, his minutes in VFL (if there is a game this week) can be managed with a view to Thusday night against the Swans.

Cleary could play this week and have his minutes split with Gallagher.

I'm sure you won't be the only one unsure on this take. Hell, MC might even be on your side.

Could we include both Lobb and Croft. Why have a 4 headed monster when you could have a 5 headed one.

If we played Gards in the ruck and moved Timmy fwd we could have a 6 headed monster.

Is there a mythical 6 headed monster?
I only subscribe to this tactic if they're all flying for the same ball.

Fair points. Perhaps the point that we both understand is that this is the time you have to utilise the squad rather than run the same players into the ground in successive weeks.

If it were 7 days between each game, perhaps none of this would be much of a consideration. But a 5 day turn around is a spanner in the works that has to be mitigated so very much a consideration. St Kilda when they played us, ordinary as they are and were, gave us some insight there.

I tend to think that part of the reason we recruited the likes of Lobb, Poulter, Bramble and Baker and retain Keath and Gardner is for this very scenario. We have some young talent on the list and we need to give consideration as to the circumstances under which we expose them whilst also developing them.
I posted some analysis (not mine) a few weeks back. It suggested that a single short break of say 5 days was not much of a problem but having multiple games with short breaks (say 3 games in 11 days) was more of a problem.

So it’s an important consideration.

Can’t remember where I found that analysis unfortunately.

I posted some analysis (not mine) a few weeks back. It suggested that a single short break of say 5 days was not much of a problem but having multiple games with short breaks (say 3 games in 11 days) was more of a problem.

So it’s an important consideration.

Can’t remember where I found that analysis unfortunately.
The Sydney game would be the 3rd game in 12 days for some.

Would that qualify?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back