Preview Changes for GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry for the intrusion but didn’t someone previously say that whenever your bench is not listed alphabetically then the last player is always the sub? So in this case it would be Macrae?

(I’m just lurking for Supercoach reasons but thought I’d help with the sub topic haha)

Yep OG read it perfectly last week.

I wouldn't read too much into it this week. I'm pretty confident Daniel will be the sub. Macrae has been playing fairly well and it would be strange to move him back into the sub role.

My theory is that it was in alphabetical order with Bramble on the bench, Johannisen on the back pocket and Daniel as emergency but Johannisen being a late out messed it up.

That was only for Sunday games with the extended squad. The order on the AFL website for us is always alphabetical, while on our website it's generally random...

INT: Caleb Daniel, Jack Macrae, Luke Cleary, Harvey Gallagher, Joel Freijah

Daniel is a horrible sub. You need someone versatile and ideally bags of pace. Nobody on our interchange really ticks both those boxes. Would be a shame to see Cleary or Freijah demoted. Maybe Gallagher is the best bet. He’s had a good run at it.
Daniel’s a great sub, and has probably had some of the most success out of any of our players there even this year. Can genuinely play back forward or midfield and is super dangerous coming on fresh when his lack of speed is neutralised

If he’s not going to be in the side he should probably be perma sub, much much better option than the way we usually use the sub

Haha, this Plastics supporter:

"To be fair, Bevo is not the smartest dog in the pound. He fluked a premiership that should rightly have been ours in 2016, due to the help from the biased VFL referees. Bevo is a coach under significant pressure, and is probably a very bad game away from getting fired. I would back Kingsley against Bevo any day of the week."

"To be fair, Bevo is not the smartest dog in the pound. He fluked a premiership that should rightly have been ours in 2016, due to the help from the biased VFL referees. Bevo is a coach under significant pressure, and is probably a very bad game away from getting fired. I would back Kingsley against Bevo any day of the week."
Someone should remind the plastic idiot we call them umpires in the AFL

Richards was also great against those other witches hats, the Saints.
He had only 18 touches despite being full-time mid in that game. He wasn't poor that game but I would hardly call a game when you get fewer touches than times you attend centre bounces (unless at 100% efficiency or whatever) a great game by any stretch

Be careful quoting from their board. i got a warning last season apparently it is against Bigfooty posting rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very Western Sydney to call them "referees"

Sydney's weather does not look great for our marking forwards. Possibly wet and windy.

Saturday 18 May​

Summary
showers.png
Min 12Max 17Showers.Possible rainfall: 2 to 10 mmChance of any rain: 95%
rain_95.gif

Sydney area​

Partly cloudy. Very high chance of showers along the coastal fringe, grading to medium chance in the west. Winds south to southwesterly 25 to 40 km/h.

He had only 18 touches despite being full-time mid in that game. He wasn't poor that game but I would hardly call a game when you get fewer touches than times you attend centre bounces (unless at 100% efficiency or whatever) a great game by any stretch

I liked his repeat sprints and defensive running, which helped us to annihilate them.

I'd argue Daniel is versatile and a decent option as sub. With legs getting heavier as the game wears on, pace won't be as big of a deficiency as it normally would be for slower types. Some examples of this working off the top of my head would be Hewett for Carlton last week, Sam Berry kicking the matchwinner earlier this year and having a fair amount of the ball, Lipiniski in the Grand final, Jack Carroll in the first game against Brisbane. There's probably countless examples.

This whole thing of the sub needs to have pace is a myth.

Only possibly comes undone if an early injury occurs, and he comes into the game while everyone is still fresh, but largely agree with you.
Harks back to Gia as a regular sub late in his career.

I think I’m scarred from the Freo game where Daniel was sub and he was genuinely the worst on ground.

I think I’m scarred from the Freo game where Daniel was sub and he was genuinely the worst on ground.
In one of the early games he was sub and was BOG [well played very well anyway]

I'd argue that experience is more of a pre-requisite for the sub role than pace
Hard for a kid to come in and hit the ground running late in the game.
CD has experience and can play multiple positions.
I weirdly think Anthony Scott would make a good sub too.

I think they either need speed or the ability to play multiple positions. This makes Daniel a better choice then Macrea in my mind.

Edit to add. I agree Scott would make a good Sub, he is a mature head with ability in multiple positions and a turn of speed.

Gia is still probably the best sub ever, and he was one of the oldest players in the league when doing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back