Unofficial Preview Changes for Lions v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outs- Oscar McInerney/Eric Hipwood, Jacob Allison.
Ins- Nick Robertson, Sam Mayes.

I feel like we had one tall too many in against the pies, and the Dogs are a smaller side and I think Jacob needs to go back to NEAFL level for a few weeks.

I feel like we had one tall too many in against the pies, and the Dogs are a smaller side and I think Jacob needs to go back to NEAFL level for a few weeks.
Agree with McInerney and Allison as omissions, particularly Allison who I thought was largely unsighted for most of the night.

I’d be inclined to bring in Walker or perhaps even Bell as a forward option. Robertson IMO is a natural inclusion.

Out: Big O, Allison
In: Robbo, Mayes

^ seems like a straight forward swap. I'd almost love Mayes getting a run up forward. I know it's been said many times and he's very much a Backman, but it may be just what he needs to find confidence playing from the forward pocket to the wing.

Would give hipwood a run in the twos for a few weeks. Needs to work on bringing the ball to ground in contested situations, forward 50 defensive pressure and effective disposals. Difficult position for such a young man . Maybe a more mature body might be suited for the rigours of CHF for now. We have plenty of quality crumbers when the ball comes to ground.

I wouldn't be surprised if they made only the one change - Robertson for McInerney.

As already mentioned, I also felt we had one too many talls in the forward half.
Hipwood was far more competitive in the 2nd half and McStay is starting to look like a forward again.
Feel like we could use Eagles in the ruck to support Martin if needed.
As for Allison, I think he needs another game in the seniors as he has the run and carry we need in the back half. He also looks like the type of player that with 30-40 games under his belt that he will be a very good player for us.

I wouldn't be surprised if they made only the one change - Robertson for McInerney.

As already mentioned, I also felt we had one too many talls in the forward half.
Hipwood was far more competitive in the 2nd half and McStay is starting to look like a forward again.
Feel like we could use Eagles in the ruck to support Martin if needed.
As for Allison, I think he needs another game in the seniors as he has the run and carry we need in the back half. He also looks like the type of player that with 30-40 games under his belt that he will be a very good player for us.
Yep agree Allison deserves more time in the seniors. Reckon he could be a player.

Pretty much agree, we had one too many calls in the forward line. I think we need to get games into Oscar, Steph Martin is the next top grader likely to be off our list (retired) in a year or 2 so we have to have that position covered. I though he went better than his 1st week, finally too a pack mark and laid 7 tackles. I think it's McStay that has to step down against the bulldogs and be replaced with more forward press and medium size. Robinson I believe should come back against the bulldogs he has our best motor in him. Maybe push Alison more to a wing although against the Bulldogs full of runners I'd try either Mayes, Cox, Keays or Bastinac as a small forward. I lean slightly to Cox who can kick off both feet and if he is kicking at goal he is not kicking and missing a team mate in the back line. minimal changes I'm liking the core of the team playing together each week now. We just need to tinker week to week for injuries and opposition but it's coming along nicely.

Dodongo wouldn't be dropping McInerney. Dodongo sees potential there and he needs a few more games.

Dodongo would look at dropping McStay or Hipwood. Dodongo would also drop Allison.

Dodongo sees Robertson and Mayes coming in this week.

I would be keeping Hipwood. I actually thought that he impacted the contest around the ground much better this week, although a few more goals would have been handy.

Agree about Robertson and Mayes coming in this week

Pretty much agree, we had one too many calls in the forward line. I think we need to get games into Oscar, Steph Martin is the next top grader likely to be off our list (retired) in a year or 2 so we have to have that position covered. I though he went better than his 1st week, finally too a pack mark and laid 7 tackles. I think it's McStay that has to step down against the bulldogs and be replaced with more forward press and medium size. Robinson I believe should come back against the bulldogs he has our best motor in him. Maybe push Alison more to a wing although against the Bulldogs full of runners I'd try either Mayes, Cox, Keays or Bastinac as a small forward. I lean slightly to Cox who can kick off both feet and if he is kicking at goal he is not kicking and missing a team mate in the back line. minimal changes I'm liking the core of the team playing together each week now. We just need to tinker week to week for injuries and opposition but it's coming along nicely.
Cox is way ahead of Allison,who is way off standard , Lyon deserves consideration...is a very professional player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: McStay, Allison
In: Walker, Robertson

Mayes and Keays next in line if injuries occur. Could also see Oscar omitted for one of them if we want to go smaller, but I don't mind getting games into him for a little while longer.

McStay is awkward. Years of development and not good enough to be a forward or a defender in our Best 22 at the moment. Regardless of where the club wants him to play he needs to find NEAFL form. Not sure how he is getting a game over Walker as a forward at AFL level.

Mayes and Keays next in line if injuries occur. Could also see Oscar omitted for one of them if we want to go smaller, but I don't mind getting games into him for a little while longer.

McStay is awkward. Years of development and not good enough to be a forward or a defender in our Best 22 at the moment. Regardless of where the club wants him to play he needs to find NEAFL form. Not sure how he is getting a game over Walker as a forward at AFL level.
How has Walker been going in the NEAFL? Don't think he has been banging the door down.

Robbo for Allison
Mayes for Eagles
Keays for McInerney

Robbo the superior back flanker and fixing up the structure assuming the Bulldogs only play one tall forward. Keays deserving a shot the most in the twos.

Even if we end up a little too tall I'd like to see McInerney retained for one more week at least. There were some positive signs and it'd be good for us if he got the chance to build on that. We still need to figure out both how to help out Stefan during games and what life looks like after him.

There was a piece play in the last Qtr down the Stanley St wing involving Alison , Witherden and Cutler that provided a glimpse of the future and why we should just keep playing Alison. He has pace and size and speed and preparedness to take the game on. Just needs to develop more tank and that will come.with age, game time and maturity.Would line him up on the wing opposite Cutler. Cox will also be a gem and will cover Christensen and Lewy should there be an injury but it’s hard to get him in there right now. Strange problem seeing we are winless:)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Even if we end up a little too tall I'd like to see McInerney retained for one more week at least. There were some positive signs and it'd be good for us if he got the chance to build on that. We still need to figure out both how to help out Stefan during games and what life looks like after him.
I'm thinking if we are swapping stef for Oscar the answer would be "less attractive"

I think just the one changefor robbo.

Big O probably the out.

Calls for Mayes back aren’t premature. Hasn’t set the world on fire in the reserves and was very poor in the seniors all year. Unfortunately looking at our half back line I can’t see him breaking back in this year bar injury.

How many years does sam have on his contract? Hasn’t come close to the heights expected of him

I think just the one changefor robbo.

Big O probably the out.

Calls for Mayes back aren’t premature. Hasn’t set the world on fire in the reserves and was very poor in the seniors all year. Unfortunately looking at our half back line I can’t see him breaking back in this year bar injury.

How many years does sam have on his contract? Hasn’t come close to the heights expected of him

Only played the first half in the last reserves match to be on standby for the seniors. That to me is an indication he’s not too far off especially with Allison playing poorly.

I think Mayes is a victim to a degree of "recent game" syndrome.

He had a shocker against Richmond, that's beyond dispute ....and deserved to be dropped

But let's not forget his body of work over the period. He was 4th in the B&F last season and hass been a solid contributor over the years since he was drafted.

I would like to see him have a run up forward though.

There was a piece play in the last Qtr down the Stanley St wing involving Alison , Witherden and Cutler that provided a glimpse of the future and why we should just keep playing Alison. He has pace and size and speed and preparedness to take the game on. Just needs to develop more tank and that will come.with age, game time and maturity.Would line him up on the wing opposite Cutler. Cox will also be a gem and will cover Christensen and Lewy should there be an injury but it’s hard to get him in there right now. Strange problem seeing we are winless:)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You can see what they want Allison to be, but a couple of nice passages of play don't cover for the fact that he's a liability everywhere else at the moment. Apart from those nice passages of play, he looked about as quick and agile as Lester yesterday. Can't run defensively, can't stand up physically in a contest and doesn't do enough the other way to balance it out. I know that sounds harsh, but I just don't how he can be expected to improve on these things at afl level.

I don't see what dropping McStay does for us. It was hardly a standout performance, but after the first quarter he made a contest and brought the ball to ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back