Analysis Changes for next week v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. Settled.

(I still live in hope he has an awesome game)
So do l, cannot see it happening though, but hey occasionally a strange things happen

I think too much of the focus is at the wrong end of the ground. Scoring wasn’t the issue last week and we’ve improved our ability to score this week with Brown and Blair netting off and Wells a greater offensive weapon than Crocker. Our back half though looks putrid from a pure defensive perspective with our 7 defenders of Dunn, Shaz, Crisp, Howe, Murray, Varcoe and Appleby.

If we can hold them to sub 80 points we win, but I have zero confidence in that with the defensive group named and the lacklustre defensive performance of our mids last week. IMO, we needed another defender with Maynard and Langdon still out. I would have gone with Mihocek myself, but that’s much of a muchness. In terms of the frustration though I’m not feeling it because the result won’t hinge on Fas v Mayne unlike the back half.

Why? Brown has come in for him. If Pendles misses we can throw JT or JDG into the middle. Will then need another half forward.
Be Daicos in my view.
Hence he’s the emergency.

Nah, the discussion has all been Faz v Mayne. Reality is Faz can't come in and play wing. So then you move to a completely different discussion about rearranging the positions of other players to accommodate the inclusion of Faz. Now WHE has clearly played wing, as has Varcoe. But your essentially disrupting a forward group that has managed >100 points 4 of the last 5 games. It's a much bigger discussion than Faz v Mayne.
Has been my discussion that Faz should be playing ahead of Blair and Mayne. Yiu brought in the position discussion...so nah to your nah. As to disrupting a foward group that happened when Blair and Mayne came in...and yes both played forward at times. Further, if one player disrupts a forwardline then we are i trouble with the injury profile we have.

Bottom line is we are a better side with Blair and Mayne out and Faz in IMO.

I think too much of the focus is at the wrong end of the ground. Scoring wasn’t the issue last week and we’ve improved our ability to score this week with Brown and Blair netting off and Wells a greater offensive weapon than Crocker. Our back half though looks putrid from a pure defensive perspective with our 7 defenders of Dunn, Shaz, Crisp, Howe, Murray, Varcoe and Appleby.

If we can hold them to sub 80 points we win, but I have zero confidence in that with the defensive group named and the lacklustre defensive performance of our mids last week. IMO, we needed another defender with Maynard and Langdon still out. I would have gone with Mihocek myself, but that’s much of a muchness. In terms of the frustration though I’m not feeling it because the result won’t hinge on Fas v Mayne unlike the back half.

I'd have sent Moore back and played Howe or Shaz on a shorter opponent. Gone in smaller up forward by bringing Faz in. That said our defenders were beaten at ground level last week and we can really only back in Crisp, Murray, Appleby to have better games - because our other small defender options (through injury) just aren't there atm.

If Pendles does get up. This will be the strongest team we have fielded this season IMO. Happy to see Mayne get another crack at it, thought he was serviceable last weekend and if he doesn't perform we have players pushing for selection in the magoos. Interesting situation with Fas, Coaches are definately making him earn his spot. I liked that bucks made it clear that he knows what he needs to do to get back in. Hopefully Fas takes it well and it could be the making of him. If he can consistently apply pressure once he does return to the seniors he will be a big in for us. Long time since we have had such high expectations on our senior players... It's a good thing in my eyes.
Good to see Wells back in, another one that had to bide his time in the 2s when he probably would have been straight in last year. Lets hope he can stay injury free for the remainder of the season. Happy to rest him every 5 or 6 weeks to have him primed for what will hopefully be a few finals at seasons end.

I viewed last week as the whole team was poor defensively, and I'd imagine the paint would've peeled off in the rooms post game given the likely spray Bucks would've given on that aspect of the game - you won't see it again this week. He would've put the team on notice IMV, sure no Langdon and Maynard does dent the back 6 structure somewhat but I reckon we can handle their forward set up with what we've got.

Got a bad feeling Blair will be the carry over player for Pendles...

Have it on good authority that Blairy will be joining Bucks' staff post his playing career.

He will take over as Bucks' valet. He will start each day ironing 'The Age' then lay out Bucks' clothes.

Blairy will then assign tasks. Rocca is on half duties - only scooping leaves from the pool (kept dropping kids off at the wrong school) and Tarks does the shopping and finds the Foxtel remote. Chrissy Mayne is doing his TAFE Cert 3 in nannying so will be able to replace the Fillipina illegals that Hirdy lent Bucks.

Busy, busy for Blairy up until he towel-drys Bucks after his bath and gives him an aromatherapy massage before bedtime.

Faz for Pendles?, yeah nah. An x factor forward who plays short / tall to replace a inside outside mid? Daicos at a maybe but not Faz
You must have missed the other part of my post about rotating players around.

Have it on good authority that Blairy will be joining Bucks' staff post his playing career.

He will take over as Bucks' valet. He will start each day ironing 'The Age' then lay out Bucks' clothes.

Blairy will then assign tasks. Rocca is on half duties - only scooping leaves from the pool (kept dropping kids off at the wrong school) and Tarks does the shopping and finds the Foxtel remote. Chrissy Mayne is doing his TAFE Cert 3 in nannying so will be able to replace the Fillipina illegals that Hirdy lent Bucks.

Busy, busy for Blairy up until he towel-drys Bucks after his bath and gives him an aromatherapy massage before bedtime.
I assumed that Mr Roarke would need him back on the island.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Pendles does get up. This will be the strongest team we have fielded this season IMO. Happy to see Mayne get another crack at it, thought he was serviceable last weekend and if he doesn't perform we have players pushing for selection in the magoos. Interesting situation with Fas, Coaches are definately making him earn his spot. I liked that bucks made it clear that he knows what he needs to do to get back in. Hopefully Fas takes it well and it could be the making of him. If he can consistently apply pressure once he does return to the seniors he will be a big in for us. Long time since we have had such high expectations on our senior players... It's a good thing in my eyes.
Good to see Wells back in, another one that had to bide his time in the 2s when he probably would have been straight in last year. Lets hope he can stay injury free for the remainder of the season. Happy to rest him every 5 or 6 weeks to have him primed for what will hopefully be a few finals at seasons end.
The concern I have is that Fas has been told what he needs to do but is not motivated to do it. Or worse still that the coach is not open to him having reached those measures, and simply prefers other players. Either way, he’s long odds to be at the club next season.

The concern I have is that Fas has been told what he needs to do but is not motivated to do it. Or worse still that the coach is not open to him having reached those measures, and simply prefers other players. Either way, he’s long odds to be at the club next season.
Thanks Dave :p

I think we need to be very wary of Blicavs and Stewart this week. They've been playing really well and winning a lot of footy from the key posts. Cox needs to be making them accountable by marking the ball and the rest of the forward group needs to put them under pressure.

Cats midfield group has also been performing really well. Kelly has been excellent, as has Duncan supporting Selwood and Dangerfield. Grundy plays a big role here with his tap work which needs to be purposeful and to advantage. The extra follow up work on their mids at ground level also important. Kelly and Dangerfield are units but they're not Grundy big. I want to see them feel his wrath in there.

At the other end I reckon we can exploit Menzel. He doesnt like tackling and I reckon with Crisp, Shaz or Howe we can find a match up that can run off him and really assist our transition.

This of course all needs to be underpinned by our structure. We need to apply more pressure from midfield than we did last week on the ball carrier. Our defenders need to do the basics better. If they leave their man they need to impact the contest. They need to cut out the defensive mistakes, position themselves well and win more ground level footy.

This is a huge test for us and I still don't have that gut level faith that we'll perform when challenged. But we're building and need to be resilient here. Should be a cracking game.

I think we need to be very wary of Blicavs and Stewart this week. They've been playing really well and winning a lot of footy from the key posts. Cox needs to be making them accountable by marking the ball and the rest of the forward group needs to put them under pressure.

Cats midfield group has also been performing really well. Kelly has been excellent, as has Duncan supporting Selwood and Dangerfield. Grundy plays a big role here with his tap work which needs to be purposeful and to advantage. The extra follow up work on their mids at ground level also important. Kelly and Dangerfield are units but they're not Grundy big. I want to see them feel his wrath in there.

At the other end I reckon we can exploit Menzel. He doesnt like tackling and I reckon with Crisp, Shaz or Howe we can find a match up that can run off him and really assist our transition.

This of course all needs to be underpinned by our structure. We need to apply more pressure from midfield than we did last week on the ball carrier. Our defenders need to do the basics better. If they leave their man they need to impact the contest. They need to cut out the defensive mistakes, position themselves well and win more ground level footy.

This is a huge test for us and I still don't have that gut level faith that we'll perform when challenged. But we're building and need to be resilient here. Should be a cracking game.

Menzel is still injured, so we need to adapt to a very different Cats forward line.

I agree on Blicavs, and I think that some people --including myself from time to time-- might underrate the supporting cast in their midfield. I used to think that Duncan was flaky, good one week but completely absent the next, but he's developed some consistency.

I prefer Shaz for the Menzel job. I think he’s more of the lock down defender of that group and it frees up Howe to intercept and lets Crisp get up the field a bit more on a quicker player.

Menzel not playing, guys. Line up as follows (sorry for the formatting, copied from AFL site and on phone):

B
  • Jed Bews
  • Harry Taylor
  • Jack Henry
HB

• Zach Tuohy
  • Jake Kolodjashnij
  • Tom Stewart
C

• Scott Selwood
  • Joel Selwood
  • Mark Blicavs
HF

• Mitch Duncan
  • Stewart Crameri
  • Tim Kelly
F

• Jordan Murdoch
  • Esava Ratugolea
  • Cory Gregson
FOL

• Zac Smith
  • Patrick Dangerfield
  • Gary Ablett
I/C

• Sam Menegola
  • Jordan Cunico
  • James Parsons
  • Jackson Thurlow
EMG

• Wylie Buzza
  • Zach Guthrie
  • George Horlin-Smith
  • Rhys Stanley

Menzel is still injured, so we need to adapt to a very different Cats forward line.

I agree on Blicavs, and I think that some people --including myself from time to time-- might underrate the supporting cast in their midfield. I used to think that Duncan was flaky, good one week but completely absent the next, but he's developed some consistency.
Duncan always racks them up against us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back