Changes v Port (latest; out: Murray, In: Murphy)

Sep 19, 2011
Zeta Reticuli
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Victory
If no Howe, I say no change.
Port will mix it up with a smaller forward set up.
They will look at fast entries to small, quick, skilful players.
We don’t need to go too tall down back.

Agree with this

They’ll have the small forward set up that will destroy our current inexperienced defenders.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feb 8, 2007
Point Cook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Spurs
DeGoey looked sore to me in the last quarter against the Lions. He kept bending his leg, and doing crouches in the goal square, then he was off the ground for the remainder of the last quarter. I dont think he will play this weekend. lm hoping he hasnt got a recurrence of his injury.

MagpieBat

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Ruby
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL, #TeamBatman
Mark Stevens said another Defender is Sore.

De Goey was not at Training Today

As for De Goey...

^JDG did train today. I was in attendance.
He told me too that his leg had pulled up good as gold.

He, Crocker and Cox were still practicing snap shots for goal at the end of the session when everyone else had pretty much gone in.

Howe was unsighted.
Goldsack may have stood in the middle at the start and not trained.
Adams had a rest today too.
Sam Murray likewise.

Encouragingly, Adam Treloar was pretty much training with the main group.
Darcy Moore was doing run throughs and sideways/lateral running with exaggerated knee lifts to test and strengthen his hamstrings.

http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1857715#1857715

DeGoey looked sore to me in the last quarter against the Lions. He kept bending his leg, and doing crouches in the goal square, then he was off the ground for the remainder of the last quarter. I dont think he will play this weekend. lm hoping he hasnt got a recurrence of his injury.

IF De Goey does Miss I find it hard to see how we beat Port

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
If we have erred with selection this year it's probably putting to much faith in the ability of Reid and Moore to get and stay healthy and fill a key defensive position in the absence of Dunn and Scharenberg.

We now find ourselves in a vulnerable position up against any side with a quality power forward and I can't help but feel that we would have been much better served by exposing McLarty prior to now.

If we are looking at the bigger picture then surely his presence last week in place of Oxley just felt like the latest opportunity presented because of our injury curse to get a look at a player who potentially offers more value because of key roles he could fill.

Of course McLarty has spent the year playing in the position of forward/ruck after spending 2017 in defence so his inclusion might be more about allowing Mihocek to go back than McLarty himself but at least it gives us more key positional flexibility.

It's obviously not an easy call because Mihocek has been good up forward and is still an undersized key position defender himself so it's far from the perfect solution but with Dixon out and Howe still in doubt bringing in McLarty for Oxley just feels like we're covering more bases moving forward and the better decision on balance.

12kilos

Club Legend
Sep 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
there is no guarantee on reid goldsack and even moore this season, we should have played McCalty against the lions .I would bite the bullet and play him against power we are at least one gorilla/bigman short for the finals.Oxley out for McCalty
What i like about having both McCalty and Mihocek in the team they can play both back and forward which ads a lot of flexebility in the team considering our injuries

Last edited:
May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
If we have erred with selection this year it's probably putting to much faith in the ability of Reid and Moore to get and stay healthy and fill a key defensive position in the absence of Dunn and Scharenberg..

Thats hardly an error in selection. List/injury management perhaps. More likely luck. Not sure what else we could have done except have Nostradamus like foresight and played McLarty in defence in the VFL instead of ruck-forward. And then Moore would be forward...and hed still be injured!

Its got to be remembered our best five key defenders are out injured.....Dunn Shaz Goldsack (who between them have held down the posts in 2017/18), Moore, the most talented of the lot, and AA Reid. Howe makes it six. And we still have Madgen Landgon and Mihocek !!! Hard to cover those injures and hard to predict them. The clubs done an awesome job to fill gaps. .

I'm sure that playing Mihocek forward wasnt in the plans. He was brought in to cover a hole and simply has played so well forward that throwing him into defence (for which he was recruited) would be a backwards step. Theres your error in selection.............Mihocek was simply too good at the other end of the ground. I'll take those mistakes every day of the week.

Last edited:

surfer1

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2006
coogee
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
parramatta
The reality is that the only likely backman to come back this year from i jury are Howe and Appleby who has played less than 10 games.

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thats hardly an error in selection. List/injury management perhaps. More likely luck. Not sure what else we could have done except have Nostradamus like foresight and played McLarty in defence in the VFL instead of ruck-forward. And then Moore would be forward...and hed still be injured!

Its got to be remembered our best five key defenders are out injured.....Dunn Shaz Goldsack (who between them have held down the posts in 2018/19), Moore, the most talented of the lot, and AA Reid. And we still have Madgen Landgon and Mihocek !!! Hard to cover those injures and hard to predict them. The clubs done an awesome job to fill gaps. .

I'm sure that playing Mihocek forward wasnt in the plans. He was brought in to cover a hole and simply has played so well forward that throwing him into defence (for which he was recruited) would be a backwards step. Theres your error in selection.............Mihocek was simply too good at the other end of the ground. I'll take those mistakes every day of the week.

We've had many opportunities to expose McLarty to senior football throughout the season or switch him to defence starting with Reid going down in attack early in the year, Moore earmarked for defence missing the majority of season, Dunn then Scharenberg injured, hell even Cox is hardly a dominant forward but we have seemingly been prepared to wait, hope and see if Moore and Reid could get and remain fit to cover our key position losses.

Well they haven't and now McLarty who could have been useful in terms of both the positions he can play and who he can release has no senior experience to call upon or be judged on if the situation with availability calls for his inclusion come September.

Jack Watts is due for his 1 big game a year. Kept hearing when he was traded to Port how good a pick up it was, he's just an ordinary footballer. Crispy will smash him.

Would not be the 1st Player who has there only Good Games Against Us

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
We've had many opportunities to expose McLarty to senior football throughout the season or switch him to defence starting with Reid going down in attack early in the year, Moore earmarked for defence missing the majority of season, Dunn then Scharenberg injured, hell even Cox is hardly a dominant forward but we have seemingly been prepared to wait, hope and see if Moore and Reid could get and remain fit to cover our key position losses.

Well they haven't and now McLarty who could have been useful in terms of both the positions he can play and who he can release has no senior experience to call upon or be judged on if the situation with availability calls for his inclusion come September.

We have exposed more players in 2018 than in living memory
Stephenson Murray Mihocek Madgen Appleby have all debuted and two of them are locks in our best 22.
Daicos Brown Cox Aish Crocker
Even players like Thomas Phillips hadnt played many games prior to 2018
Broomhead and Fasolo suffered long term injuries in their only senior games of the year otherwise would have got more chances.
Mayne getting a reprieve after 3 games in 2017

McLarty is the only one yet to debut apart from first year players T Brown and Murphy and rookie Lynch. If Cox Grundy or Mihocek go down he'll get his callup.

And we are still in the hunt for a top four position

Back