Changes For Round 19 vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems I'm in the minority re Varcoe. Ah well.

I agree he chases. I just think for a supposed skills player, he makes too many skill errors and although goals and possessions are not everything, 0.3 and 12.7 per game are not enough for an outside player, considering he only goes at 2.6 tackles a game which is pretty average for a 'pressure only' player.

He puts on pressure, but hardly enough for a player who offers very little else.

Last edited:
Yes I do like your quoting of Enid Blyton the Naughtiest Girl in the School.
Assume you referring to John Terry the gardenening loving boy in the book series.
He loved using his wheelbarrow in the garden. Of course the greatest character in the book series (even including the eponymous Naughtiest Girl [Elizabeth Allen]) was Julian Holland. Green eyes and scruffy hair.
upload_2018-7-22_10-12-24.png

Murray was a s**t magnet in the first half! The reason his second half seemed better and lessened the feeling that he should be dropped is that he didn’t win as much of the ball (16 1st half possessions v 8 2nd half). IMO, you’re running the gauntlet big time v Richmond with a guy as shaky as him in the mix.
The tension certainly mounts every time Murray gets the ball. Leaving him out would be the safer option, but I'd play him. You don't beat the Tigers with safe ball movement. Bring on the berserker.

Do you think Murray was good defensively? I thought he was one of Kangaroos best avenues to goal with his defensive mistakes.

I actually liked his run and carry which opened the game up for us. His kicking was shaky but generally he seemed to pull them off.

I tend to agree we're running the gauntlet playing him against Richmond but i'm inclined to back him in and see how he goes.

One alternative if we don't want to play Murray is to shift Varcoe back and bring Elliott forward into Varcoes half forward role.

Yeah in terms of closing down the space and shutting out his opponent I thought he was solid. He plays with good defensive instincts such as his spoiling and positioning and I didn’t see them as flaws in his game earlier in the season or yesterday. Their smalls (Turner, Atley and Simpkin) were completely shutout yesterday so I had the defensive games of him, Maynard and Crisp as fantastic.

I thought his intent to run and carry was great, but the execution was lacking. The best assessment I can make was that he was Marley Williamsesque. We all knew Marley can play some good footy as a defender, but ball in hand was always a role of the dice.

I think that shuffling is most definitely an option. The only other option I can see is Elliott for Daicos, Greenwood into defense and Murray pressing up to a wing where the damage of his turnovers can be lessened. The obvious problem there is Greenwood is equally dicey ball in hand, but for me he’s an 8-10 possession defender so he doesn’t draw it as much as Murray who is a 15-20 possession defender. It’s good to have options though which is the sign of a developing team.

Do you think Sier can do another head to head v Martin this week? His performance on Cunnington was encouraging, IMO.

The tension certainly mounts every time Murray gets the ball. Leaving him out would be the safer option, but I'd play him. You don't beat the Tigers with safe ball movement. Bring on the berserker.

Yep, but maybe remind him that Majak Daw is not a slow lumbering ruckman. Like this week Sam, probably don't try an outrun Rioli. Otherwise have at it.

Mayne has been very good but i feel he slows down play too much to get a game ahead of Aish who imo is the better player

I’ve been impressed with Maynes ability to put himself in the hole and help with the outnumber in support of the defence.

However with ball in hand Mayne is very similar to Langdon. They both hang onto the ball so long that they invite pressure. Inevitably end up dishing that pressure off via a hospital hand pass to a team mate.

Absolutely does my head in.

Last edited:
Murray was 100% responsible for the Maynard fumble. You don't kick across goal to a players feet. It's asking for trouble. That probably registered as an effective kick but that would be an error in how the stats get calculated.

You're right about his offensive impact and that shouldn't be overlooked. He was excellent with his run and helped us replace some of that drive that Treloar gives us.

But it was a Jekyll and Hyde performance. He was terrible defensively. He was excellent offensively. If his role is half back he needs to improve defensively.

No he wasnt, Maynard waited for the ball to bounce to him instead of coming forward to meet the ball. Then when it didnt bounce his way he panicked and fumbled. But either way the defence was excellent yesterday, which Murray was part of...

Seems I'm in the minority re Varcoe. Ah well.

I agree he chases. I just think for a supposed skills player, he makes too many skills errors and although goals and possessions are not everything, 0.3 and 12.7 per game are not enough for an outside player, considering he only goes at 2.6 tackles a game which is pretty average for a 'pressure only' player.

He puts on pressure, but hardly enough for a player who offers very little else.

We're in the minority re: Varcoe. His inability to kick a goal from 25m out under zero pressure does my head in.

Last edited:
Yeah in terms of closing down the space and shutting out his opponent I thought he was solid. He plays with good defensive instincts such as his spoiling and positioning and I didn’t see them as flaws in his game earlier in the season or yesterday. Their smalls (Turner, Atley and Simpkin) were completely shutout yesterday so I had the defensive games of him, Maynard and Crisp as fantastic.

I thought his intent to run and carry was great, but the execution was lacking. The best assessment I can make was that he was Marley Williamsesque. We all knew Marley can play some good footy as a defender, but ball in hand was always a role of the dice.

I think that shuffling is most definitely an option. The only other option I can see is Elliott for Daicos, Greenwood into defense and Murray pressing up to a wing where the damage of his turnovers can be lessened. The obvious problem there is Greenwood is equally dicey ball in hand, but for me he’s an 8-10 possession defender so he doesn’t draw it as much as Murray who is a 15-20 possession defender. It’s good to have options though which is the sign of a developing team.

Do you think Sier can do another head to head v Martin this week? His performance on Cunnington was encouraging, IMO.

On Murray - I don't mind the idea of Murray to the wing for the reasons you mention. It takes the sting out of his errors. Our forward line is quick enough and contest well enough that they can turn those chaos balls into real chances.

On Sier - I really like him. He has all the qualities to be a gem of a player. His step, burst of speed, kicking penetration and his vision with the handball are all class. But I thought Cunnington was their most influential player and a big reason that they killed us at the contest. We couldn't stick a tackle on him all game. We shut them down on the outside which was pleasing and nullified the good inside work.

Sier needs to get more exposure and better fitness. I recall he started out as a low possession winner in the VFL and when he settled he started winning a lot of ball. I reckon we'll see a similar curve in the AFL so i'm inclined to give him as many games to fast track that. With greater fitness he'll stay in the contest longer and be able to impact more.

On the small defenders - I really like the form and combo of Crisp and Maynard. Maynards really become more dependable turning it over less. And concentrating more. I think we're still finding our third small defender and that position is up for grabs. I like the idea of Varcoe in there. I do like Murray and Appleby too although elements of both their games need to be ironed out. Quaynor might surprise next year too.

Last edited:
We're in the minority re: Varcoe. His inability to kick a goal from 25m out under zero pressure does my head in.
I’m in the minority’s view that his place should be under scrutiny.

Dropped? That’s a close thing but not certain. Under notice at least.

Give him one big plus he does appear to bring this perceived pressure to opponents so that’s a good thing.

I’m in the minority’s view that his place should be under scrutiny.

Dropped? That’s a close thing but not certain. Under notice at least.

Give him one big plus he does appear to bring this perceived pressure to opponents so that’s a good thing.

That's fair Saintly.

Can't deny that Varcoe has a controlled aggression in his attack that is a plus for us. He does let himself down in front of goal.

Do you prefer him over Mayne on the wing?

It would appear Murray will hold his spot. Although such calamitous errors every week will wear thing very quickly. Needs to continue to work on his disposal & decision making.

Probably couldn't drop Josh Daicos, either. Who I thought clearly had his best game for the club to date.

I'd have Mayne in the gun, personally - every time he gets the ball its stop.....look forwards......look sideways......kick sideways. Saps all momentum.

With better players ready to return in the next week or two, these are 'good' selection dilemmas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would throw in Moore too (based on our final 22 yesterday).
These constant injuries have really created great depth to our list.
Yes, not sure many teams can keep losing players and just keep finding players like Mihocek, Sier, Appelby or Murray and continue to plug along like we aren’t missing 1/3 of our best 22

That's fair Saintly.

Can't deny that Varcoe has a controlled aggression in his attack that is a plus for us. He does let himself down in front of goal.

Do you prefer him over Mayne on the wing?
If picking today (this week) I’m keeping Mayne.
I’d not drop Mayne for Varcoe as that stands.

It would appear Murray will hold his spot. Although such calamitous errors every week will wear thing very quickly. Needs to continue to work on his disposal & decision making.

Probably couldn't drop Josh Daicos, either. Who I thought clearly had his best game for the club to date.

I'd have Mayne in the gun, personally - every time he gets the ball its stop.....look forwards......look sideways......kick sideways. Saps all momentum.

With better players ready to return in the next week or two, these are 'good' selection dilemmas.
You have crystallised the over all picture.

I’m taking the Murray errors as his good stuff is a net positive overall for me, and as he is early doors career wise, I’d rather he strings multiple games together and learns and rids himself of the silly stuff.

I’m not suggesting Mayne doesn’t bring some sideways play but overall has become very reliable and capable to my eye. His position will be tested with a few more returning types in the next few weeks.

As you suggest good selection dilemma.

Replace our bottom 3 players with Elliott, Treloar and Aish and it’s a formidable team. Bodes well for the upcoming finals series.
Realistically Treloar very very iffy as a returning player this year.
I’d also place Moore as important to return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back