Changes for next year, Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe not so daft when you consider his speed, height and running ability. Not a great disposer of the ball but neither is Macintosh. Could quite probably do a job on the Steeleside Bottom’s of the world. Also maybe a good wing pairing as a defensive foil to the dangerous attacking play of Caddy. I can see some sense in this one. Whether the brains trust might want to be a bit more adventurous and flexible with the wingers remains to be seen, but you could see this working ok. Balta on the second tall as understudy to Astbo, Grimes on the third tall or dangerous midget forward. Then Vlastuin, Short, Houligan. Broad could slot back there to do a job if any of the first four missed matches. Stack, Baker two of several options to replace the runners back there if needed.

This type of plan would create an even greater logjam in the midfield and forward line though.
If you were seriously considering Broad on a wing, I cant see it. It'd be far better to put Balta there, offers more in that position.

If you were seriously considering Broad on a wing, I cant see it. It'd be far better to put Balta there, offers more in that position.

Don’t worry, Broad doesn’t appeal more as a natural winger to me either. I was just responding to someone’s observation that he had been trialled there in the intra-club match practice. I was surmising as to what the match committee could be thinking with that. When you think about it at face value you think he doesn’t have enough attacking weapons to play wing. So maybe they are thinking of using him at times against the more dangerous or damaging wingers to shut them down. You would fancy he could do that job well, he has the speed, endurance, commitment and size to go with some of those players. It makes perfect sense to me to have a player ready for that job when required, what do you think?

The thing with Broad playing the Ellis role as a defensive winger is that he knows the defensive structures that we play with, knows where he needs to be positioned to have a genuine impact and has some height to be able to get in the hole and be an intercept marker, which gives Balta & Astbury extra support in the air, rather than just a sweeper in the way the Ellis played the role. It also allows us to then bring in Balta to play CHB and not be too tall down back with Grimes Astbury Broad Vlastuin & Balta all being 187cm or taller.

Can't see Broady playing wing TBH....

I think he needs an opponent to take him in and out of the play for him to be effective...
Not sure he knows the right spots to be, then be creative on top of that without a starting point (his oppo)

Don’t worry, Broad doesn’t appeal more as a natural winger to me either. I was just responding to someone’s observation that he had been trialled there in the intra-club match practice. I was surmising as to what the match committee could be thinking with that. When you think about it at face value you think he doesn’t have enough attacking weapons to play wing. So maybe they are thinking of using him at times against the more dangerous or damaging wingers to shut them down. You would fancy he could do that job well, he has the speed, endurance, commitment and size to go with some of those players. It makes perfect sense to me to have a player ready for that job when required, what do you think?
A monster midfield tagger who hurts guys could be kinda cool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that the pre-season is run and done it might be worth having a crack at this without the cloud of "depth/rookie improvement during the offseason" hanging over it.

B: Broad, Astbury, Grimes
HB: Houli, Vlastuin, Short
C: Caddy, Prestia, Baker
HF: Lambert, Riewoldt, Bolton
F: Castagna, Lynch, Rioli
R: Soldo, Martin, Cotchin

Int: Stack, Edwards, Pickett, CCJ*

Emg: Higgins, Ross, Dow, Balta

Inj: Graham, McIntosh, Nankervis*

It'll be interesting to see whether Graham is a walk up start into an already strong team. As far as positions for 2020, I hope Stack keeps playing at half back while Pickett looks the better pick to sit at half forward when not rotating through the middle. Another year of depth putting pressure on for spots this year too, I think Houli looked a step slower during the Marsh series and will make way to be the next spot up for grabs during this season, barring injury of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back