Review Changes for Pineapple Grapple

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Dew's post game press conference identified 10 players had either 1 or zero tackles
How's this for forward pressure

Sexton 0 tackles
Wright 0 tackles
Corbett 0 tackles
Ainsworth 1 tackle
Lukosius 4 tackles (I think often because he lets his man push past him to get to the ball, but still positive)
Holman 4 tackles
Macpherson 5 tackles

Sexton the big one here.
Guys who he could possibly be compared to on other teams - that mid sized forward who can get up the field a little.

Hayward (Syd) - 3.3 tackles per game
Tarry Thomas (NM) - 3 tackles per game
Petracca (Mel) - 4 tackles per game
Truest (Haw) - 3.2 tackles per game
Rohan (Gee) - 1.6 tackles per game
Fantasia (Ess) - 2.2 tackles per game
Callum Brown (Coll) - 3.2 tackles per game
Lincoln McCarthy (Bri) - 2.2 tackles per game

Alex Sexton (GC) - 1.5 tackles per game

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Back to reality I guess. We have those three good wins (albeit against sides that probably won't figure in the finals) - one narrow loss to another side that will start the slide down (STK) and two losses against sides that will be pushing hard for finals. Watched the 2s and think Day, Ben King and Young should all get a call up for next week - Miles as well if he's fit. Be interesting if the club invests in Ben King and gives him some games at top level like most other clubs have given their top draft picks. If we hope to keep him, we need to put AFL experience in to him and persevere (same as Lukosious). Rankine should also be brought straight in when fit (no point in wasting him in the 2s).
Who to drop? So many could get the hammer but will be interesting to see how hard Dew reacts to two very poor games in a row. Martin needs to declare his intentions or give someone else the job with a view to long term. Joyce needs to back but who is there to replace him until Weller comes back? Big trip to WA this week so let's hope we see some light on the horizon but it's time for our young heralded players of the past 3 years or so to really stand up and show consistent form. No need to mention names - we all know who they are.

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
As a team, that is a fail this week. Did not play hard all game, and given we were close at 1/2 time, a final score of 111 points to 62 is a blow out.

The worrying bits:

Joyce has gone backwards in skills and decision making. Baffling but not playing well enough to stay on the list let alone get picked.

Brodie covering the ground. Not worried when he is near the ball, but I think it was Eppo that mentioned a few weeks ago that the coaches are worried about his transition running. So I watched him a few times without the ball. Fair dinkum Queen Mary with his first steps. Once he gets going he covers the ground but unless he can get going more quickly he will struggle to defend well enough. Not for want of trying but for want of physical ability.

2MP in the contest. Dropped a couple of marks he should have taken, and even worse got pushed out of the contest too easily. Yikes. We don't get enough ball inside 50 for that to happen. It can take time for a young big man to get good at contested ball, but it can also never come. Fingers crossed.

There were plenty of other no-shows or limited impact players in the game, but those 3 young players (Joyce, Brodie, 2MP) worry me long term.

The older player that should be a lot better is Hanley. He is 4/5th of a gun player which will make him a poor player until he changes his game. Not quite quick enough over the ground to get past enough people now, not quite a good enough kick to hit the tight targets he used to hit. At this stage in his career, probably needs to try to do a bit less but do that bit really good. Less running with the ball, more short kicks and handballs to the first open player. More defending (heaven forbid!).

Otherwise....largely as expected. Going to be a few years before our promising young players grow into quality players.

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
down the ground footage should emerge over the next day of Neale driving bowes into the ground 30m of the ball. been next to no talk about this incident but Neale looks likely to be suspended for it.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
down the ground footage should emerge over the next day of Neale driving bowes into the ground 30m of the ball. been next to no talk about this incident but Neale looks likely to be suspended for it.
I was wondering who was it. I noticed it at the stadium, the ball was long gone. Bowes was real shaky.

There was another incident on Fiorini later in the game I would like to see again. It could be fair.

SunsGal

Senior List
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Was Hanley not 100%? I was told he was almost a late withdrawal (along with Touk). Anyone know any details?

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Thought we started slowly and lucky not to be 5 goals down within 15 minutes. Then took over for the next 30 minutes and were plus 40 in uncontested possessions shortly before halftime but struggled with forward entries.
Simply ran out of gas and lack of numbers rotating through the midfield and maybe the 6 day break told a story.
Basic skill errors continue to kill us and the Crows / Lions were able to score multiple goals quickly. Work in progress and hopefully Powell, Weller, Miles will help out.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
When Miles gets back in it will be interesting to see how he affects the team. We really seem to have struggled with structure around that area when he hasn't been there. Is it just a mature body? Him telling people where to go? Interesting to see when he (hopefully) comes in next week.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks

They showed it on the telecast.
Got decent footage.
Was a free kick if the umpires had seen, nothing more I would have thought.
Very much doubt he’ll get suspended

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Martin looked really average on ground and lacking in effort - was the same against Adelaide too.

With all the contract talk in the air, it should be sign up or sit in the twos.

Rather some of the kids get game time than getting Martin in form for St Kilda

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not realistic. Do you want to sit in the twos all players who did not sign up yet? We got plenty. He could be banged up as most players are by now. Yes, his failed chase of McCarthy was surprising.

I am sure the club will want to know after bye like with Lynch, May and make decisions accordingly.

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We're in a real tough position in who we play. Yes more midfield depth would be great but would it mean Brodie plays 2s? Yes it would be great to send a message to some players but who's knocking down the door of selection that hasn't already played? About 7 weeks til the bye and it already looks like we're crawling there.

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Martin looked really average on ground and lacking in effort - was the same against Adelaide too.

Rather some of the kids get game time than getting Martin in form for St Kilda
He’s had 3 poor games in a row when we’ve really needed him. Fumbling, poor skills - not sure what all the hype is about TBH.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
You need to play Brodie and Martin regardless of form .Heron, Dawson, Nutting , Schoenfeld type can't even compete at NEAFL level .

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We could have used pick 2 for Neale or am l mistaken.

Think Neale was determined to get to Brisbane. You can be certain the Suns would have offered pick 2 and the big V clubs would have made some big offers. Cost us a fair bit trade wise but well worth it.

Suns should be targeting the best inside mids at this years draft.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That was the incident early in the first quarter yeah? Saw Bowesy down and out but didn’t see who did it. The Lions also were targeting Fiorini all afternoon so it looked like a plan to get stuck into our two classiest young mids and clearly worked. Jack and Brayden will need to get used to this kind of physical attention in the future.

Edit: just saw it highlighted on Fox Sports News. Was a different incident. The one I was referring to was where Jack got slammed down near the boundary wing.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Forgive the intrusion from a Melbourne based person but I have two comments.

The first is Witts was cooked in the second half and why doesn't Two Metre Peter do some rucking if you re not going to select a second ruckman?

The second is the awful viewing at the ground. I was up in the stand on the wing but when looking into the sun, with the ball on the other side in the shade, you couldn't see much at all. In fact the comments "Who was that?" or "What happened then?" out numbered complaints about the umpires, but it is hard to criticise the umps when you are not sure what happened.

I won't go to a day game up there again

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Forgive the intrusion from a Melbourne based person but I have two comments.

The first is Witts was cooked in the second half and why doesn't Two Metre Peter do some rucking if you re not going to select a second ruckman?

The second is the awful viewing at the ground. I was up in the stand on the wing but when looking into the sun, with the ball on the other side in the shade, you couldn't see much at all. In fact the comments "Who was that?" or "What happened then?" out numbered complaints about the umpires, but it is hard to criticise the umps when you are not sure what happened.

I won't go to a day game up there again
Yeah, day games at 2pm are pretty poor. Twilight games are great there sun is only an issue for 10 mins then it goes down.

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not realistic. Do you want to sit in the twos all players who did not sign up yet? We got plenty. He could be banged up as most players are by now. Yes, his failed chase of McCarthy was surprising.

I am sure the club will want to know after bye like with Lynch, May and make decisions accordingly.
I want him to sit in the 2’s cause his lack of effort is pathetic.

I’m not a fan of Brodie, and his skills were average at best yesterday, but I couldn’t fault his effort.

Just get Steven May vibes watching him slump around the field - rather watch Ben King trying his best and failing, than someone with proven skill sucking up oxygen.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I want him to sit in the 2’s cause his lack of effort is pathetic.

I’m not a fan of Brodie, and his skills were average at best yesterday, but I couldn’t fault his effort.

Just get Steven May vibes watching him slump around the field - rather watch Ben King trying his best and failing, than someone with proven skill sucking up oxygen.
End of the season if players like Martin and Brodie ask to be trade you don't get much value from them playing in the 2nd . If you only want effort go get trademan from state league .

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That was the incident early in the first quarter yeah? Saw Bowesy down and out but didn’t see who did it. The Lions also were targeting Fiorini all afternoon so it looked like a plan to get stuck into our two classiest young mids and clearly worked. Jack and Brayden will need to get used to this kind of physical attention in the future.

Edit: just saw it highlighted on Fox Sports News. Was a different incident. The one I was referring to was where Jack got slammed down near the boundary wing.
bowes went to block neale about 10 metres off the ball so neale grabbed him pinning his arm and drove him into turf unable to protect himself. the only thing stopping neale from being in serious trouble is bowes wasn't concussed. if he had of been it would be an obvious 2 week suspension.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Think Neale was determined to get to Brisbane. You can be certain the Suns would have offered pick 2 and the big V clubs would have made some big offers. Cost us a fair bit trade wise but well worth it.

Suns should be targeting the best inside mids at this years draft.
Unfortunately the best inside mid (Green) is GWS academy!

GCStormie

Team Captain
Aug 29, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
WCE, Renault F1, Scorchers
bowes went to block neale about 10 metres off the ball so neale grabbed him pinning his arm and drove him into turf unable to protect himself. the only thing stopping neale from being in serious trouble is bowes wasn't concussed. if he had of been it would be an obvious 2 week suspension.
From what Ive seen you are making a far bigger deal of it than the incident warrants. won't even be a fine.

Back