Changes for Preliminary Final

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think he even connected! Just watched it. Fine surely, was not a smart thing to do but Was very quick and leans into him too, seriously the Geelong players reactions makes me think he didn’t even touch him.
You're forgetting the Port tax in such decisions, plus if the media are talking about it, it carries some weight. There was nothing in the SPP tackle against Hawthorn either........

Sorry, Mitch Cleary has already flagged it on the "independent" AFL Media website for a "potential headbutt on Mark O'Connor that could come under Match Review scrutiny."
If that’s a quote we’ve literally hit “Simpson update Homer sleeps in a shower curtain because he thinks it gives him sexual powers”...

Our best 22 is just so good but our replacements worry me.

Marshall > Westhoff

Hoff just doesn't create the same separation and space and I wouldn't have backed the Hoff to kick that goal.

Butters > Woodcock

Woodcock will get there but he is a fair way off yet. We lose a lot in class and defensive insanity.

Duursma > Farrell

We lose a lot in gut running both ways and courage. We gain a little in kicking.

We are a worse side with any of these changes. Let's hope they all pull up.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Duursma looked OK to me after the game. He was laughing and smiling and went out to celebrate when the final siren went and joined in the Club song in the changerooms. I think we were probably required to keep him off under AFL head injury rules. In any case has a week off to recover.

Other than kick that late goal I do not think Todd Marshall did much. In fact he only had the three possessions for the entire game and his influence was minimal. Westhoff has a goal kicking accuracy of 62% over his career which is on a par with Marshall and better than many of our forwards and on that basis he could well have kicked the late goal, but of course he had to get the ball first. Todd Marshall may come up OK for the Prelim but Westhoff or even Georgiades, if fit, would not worry me too much.

Butters is yet to be cited and tbh I did not realise he had done anything until I heard a possible case to answer on this morning's news. The incident was not obvious enough to rate a mention on the commentary and the Geelong player did not react nor was he inconvenienced. i think we are jumping at shadows because of the Tribunal's past history when dealing with Port players. Replacing Butters is a bridge we should worry about crossing if we come to it.

Ideally no changes, but if Marshall isn't 100% Hoff comes in, and I'd back him to perform his role well enough. Actually wouldn't surprise me if he's relaxed now he's announced his retirement and he came out and gave a vintage Westhoff performance with 3 goals and some important marks in a prelim.

But that's plan B. If Marshall recovers, then no changes. But what I don't want to see is a semi-recovered but still sore looking Marshall just because it's a winning side. We rolled the dice somewhat with Burton, but can't be taking any players who aren't fully fit into a prelim.

Our best 22 is just so good but our replacements worry me.

Marshall > Westhoff

Hoff just doesn't create the same separation and space and I wouldn't have backed the Hoff to kick that goal.

Butters > Woodcock

Woodcock will get there but he is a fair way off yet. We lose a lot in class and defensive insanity.

Duursma > Farrell

We lose a lot in gut running both ways and courage. We gain a little in kicking.

We are a worse side with any of these changes. Let's hope they all pull up.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app
Nearly every one of them could be replaced by Hoff.

Other than kick that late goal I do not think Todd Marshall did much. In fact he only had the three possessions for the entire game and his influence was minimal....
Caaan! The guy played with one shoulder & one arm for 90% of the game. In any other game he comes off and is iced for the game. Forget any stats ... He showed great courage in coming back on, provided a tall presence up forward that Geelong had to then cover, and provided an extra rotation off the bench which was doubly valuable after half time when Duursma came off.

They dont have a stat for courage!

Regardless, IMO that injury wont recover in two weeks, so both Westhoff & Georgiades will be in calculations.

Butters is my worry, I've seen the headbutt floating around on Twitter but I'm not tech savvy enough to share it. Wouldn't shock me if he gets a week

Just ask one of our assistant coaches, Michael Voss, should he have played in the 2004 GF. The answer should have been no as he was completely cooked and his influence was minimal.
Based on that if Todd’s shoulder is still suspect on selection night he shouldn’t be selected and Justin Westhoff to be his replacement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just ask one of our assistant coaches, Michael Voss, should he have played in the 2004 GF. The answer should have been no as he was completely cooked and his influence was minimal.
Based on that if Todd’s shoulder is still suspect on selection night he shouldn’t be selected and Justin Westhoff to be his replacement.
Ask Michael Wilson on the other hand...

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Ask Michael Wilson on the other hand...

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app
I think from memory that Wilbur registered no kicks for the 2004 GF. The one time that he put ball to boot was then considered by the umpy as “sorry too slow, you have been pinged for HTB”
That never me stopped loving the man - could be leading the pack as Port Adelaide most courageous player ever.

In: clean hands for Dixon and Ladhams
Out: slipping over from Rozee
Can't disagree.
Dixon even dropped those 2 chest marks. His marking has been a consistent problem. And that's not the first game Rozee has been slip sliding everywhere - that being said, Rozee is getting more involved and I reckon will have a good next TWO games.

Out: Marshall
In: Westy

No brainer, it was line ball on form, but with Marshall carrying an injury we have to select the fit veteran.

PORT Adelaide has sent a contingent of its players to Queensland to take part in a scratch match with Geelong and Richmond on Saturday after booking in its preliminary final berth.

A dozen Power players who didn't feature in Thursday night's qualifying final win against Geelong arrived on the Gold Coast on Friday before their scrimmage on Saturday in a combined clash with the Cats and Tigers.

It will be an important dose of match conditioning for the players who have missed out on selection in the clubs' respective first finals.

Would love to see Todd in, but the shoulder might be too bad.

Would love to see Westy in, but he hasn't seemed strong enough for a while.

Will leave it to the coaches - they seem to be doing OK.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back