Opinion Changes for QF vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Both things can be true - that Clurey was hung out to dry and that Clurey did a poor job. Being one out like that so often makes the defender's job extremely difficult and even the best are going to concede marks and goals across the course of the game. But Clurey was embarrassed. He was totally unable to put any sort of physical pressure on Hawkins and it wasn't good enough.
Yep, it's one thing to concede a few marks, given the volume and speed of ball, it's quite another to be comprehensively owned in contest after contest. He was monstered.

Both things can be true - that Clurey was hung out to dry and that Clurey did a poor job. Being one out like that so often makes the defender's job extremely difficult and even the best are going to concede marks and goals across the course of the game. But Clurey was embarrassed. He was totally unable to put any sort of physical pressure on Hawkins and it wasn't good enough.

I would have rather Clurey hung onto/pushed/scragged Hawkins and given away free kicks every single time than seeing him out-bodied and eased under the ball time and time again. At least Hawkins would have known there was a fight on hand and he may have gotten away with a few.

Not selecting Clurey would be hilariously dumb. With Kens history of selection, it cannot be ruled out.
Ken: I've foxed them all season with not playing Sam Gray and Jake Neade, but now it's finals time to show all those doubters, that smaller is always better.

Last time we made a call like this Jacko put his papers in and left.

Jacko was well and truly already out the door before Ken overlooked him for the final against West Coast.

The game won’t be won by Clurey’s selection or not, it’s all about the midfield and getting dominance at clearance.

I suspect we are looking to have an extra runner to try and lock down their wings who are the cornerstones of their game plan.

The risk with no Clurey is that we lack options to adjust down back and it might only take 10-15min burst for them to blow the game apart.

I think it’s Butters and Burton in, Woodcock and Leinert/Bonner out.

I would have rather Clurey hung onto/pushed/scragged Hawkins and given away free kicks every single time than seeing him out-bodied and eased under the ball time and time again. At least Hawkins would have known there was a fight on hand and he may have gotten away with a few.

Impossible to do so with that much baby oil in play

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Win the midfield, and we go a long way to winning the game. We concede really easy goals in bunches when teams get a hold of us in the middle.

Our forward press and team defence is also prone to totally failing Vs the best. ie. Brisbane and Geelong were both able to rebound out of back 50 extremely easy every time we fought hard to get it in. And Richmond lived off transition goals against us and scored heavily from it. So for us to create turnovers from Geelongs possession footy will be critical.

The other concern we have is upping the tempo. Sides that attack us with really high intensity tend to catch us out early. Can we raise the tempo this week, because we'll need to.

If we can sort these 3 areas out, we win.

Rocky's our barometer, if he starts to get involved and isn't forced to chase a lot (exposing his speed), we're usually in a really good spot.

Last edited:

Clurey wasn't good enough no doubt. Played from behind almost every contest and was almost nowhere near the contest every time.

However he was giving away nearly 20 kg and 2 inches to Hawkins. It was likely that he was going to get monstered even when he got near the ball. Hinkley should have had someone dropping in fron't for nearly every contest where possible and if not should have played the AA squad defender on him from the start in Jonas. And it was far to late moving him in the third quarter. Typical of Hinkley game day agility when it comes to adjusting his gameplan to the actual match. Ill be upset if Jonas doesn't start on him from the start this match.

Clurey wasn't good enough no doubt. Played from behind almost every contest and was almost nowhere near the contest every time.

However he was giving away nearly 20 kg and 2 inches to Hawkins. It was likely that he was going to get monstered even when he got near the ball. Hinkley should have had someone dropping in fron't for nearly every contest where possible and if not should have played the AA squad defender on him from the start in Jonas. And it was far to late moving him in the third quarter. Typical of Hinkley game day agility when it comes to adjusting his gameplan to the actual match. Ill be upset if Jonas doesn't start on him from the start this match.
That’s actually very wrong. Clurey kept trying to play in front and got worked under the ball every single time. Why this wasn’t changed / addressed mid game is beyond me.

If he goes with a Pepsi Max Mango we're in big trouble.
just fyi for anyone who sees this at their local shop and goes "perhaps its good?"

dont buy it. please. my word

That’s actually very wrong. Clurey kept trying to play in front and got worked under the ball every single time. Why this wasn’t changed / addressed mid game is beyond me.

He then switched to behind for a contest and they straight away hit Hawkins up on the short lead.

It was all about a lack of pressure on the delivery. Cats were waltzing through us at ease. It was a full team shocker.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back