Preview Changes for R10 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it's Hutchings' mistakes that get amplified a million times. Barely anyone notices Masten's mistakes, much less comments on them :rolleyes:

Come on mate, nobody gets screamed at on here when they make a mistake gets called spud in game threads as much as Hutch. Hutch is called to be dropped every week, even when he's had good games such as GWS when he kept Shiel to virtually no influence on the game whatsoever. Masten at least gets a reprieve every now and then, usually when we play a young team with lots of kids where he doesnt get pushed off the ball all the time..but you're still avoiding the point im making, which is if you're going to call someone vanilla, it should be the person who does one thing only, not the guy who can do at least three well.
So from now on, if you're gonna refer to Hutch in icecream terms, he should be called Neopolitan at least. :p

Hutch is called to be dropped every week, even when he's had good games such as GWS when he kept Shiel to virtually no influence on the game whatsoever. Masten at least gets a reprieve every now and then, usually when we play a young team with lots of kids where he doesnt get pushed off the ball all the time..but you're still avoiding the point im making, which is if you're going to call someone vanilla, it should be the person who does one thing only, not the guy who can do at least three well.
So from now on, if you're gonna refer to Hutch in icecream terms, he should be called Neopolitan at least. :p

I'm not sure I've ever referred to anyone as vanilla, much less Hutchings. And I didn't have him in my outs last week or this week.

But you saying he's capable of playing as an outside mid at AFL level because he's occasionally lined up on the wing at centre bounces is just wrong. Masten's lined up in the centre square but no one would argue he's capable of playing inside.

Hutch can play as an inside mid or a tagger. And maybe as a defensive forward if he's given a specific job like he was against Johannisen last year, but not really as a full time forward. Masten can play as an outside mid or a high half forward. The reason people are arguing for Masten over Hutchings when we get to full strength is that there's a lot less competition for outside mid spots at the moment.

Not saying you’re wrong

But Sheed won’t be dropped.
Yeah I don’t like to call for Sheed to be dropped. But both Ah Chee and Hutchings don’t deserve to be dropped on performance. The blind bombs out of packs from Sheed just drive me mad. F Shuey and Yeo are fit the player who makes way will be unlucky.

Meh. Good teams have a couple role players doing some solid ground work for the rest of the side. Atm we have Cripps, Masten and Hutching in and i don't think either of them can do each other role. If Shuey has to come in we either have get rid of an Inside mid or someone that rotates through there. In that Case Sheed, Ah chee or Hutchings. Sheed has the most up side out of all three has proven his worth this season. Then its between Ah chee and Hutchings. Do we tag someone this week? if not then keep Ah chee as he offers us more as a HFF.

Theres no way Hutchings or Ah chee can Replicate Mastens role (he also can't replicate their roles).
At last, some sence.

The thing with Masten is he can run alot. But in a game hes not generall in our top 3 distance covered players???

Its normally Gaff/Duggan

No, he is pretty consistently in the top four on the ground this year. Yesterday Masten covered 14.4km, which was the second most for an Eagle behind Gaff (14.9km).

Gaff 14.9km
Lambert 14.6km
Masten 14.4km
Rioli 14.2km
Hutchings 14.0km

Masten Round 1-8, most kms on ground:

Round 1 - 15km (4th)
Round 2 - 14.9km (4th)
Round 3 - 15.8km (2nd)
Round 4 - 14.7km (4th)
Round 5 - 14.8km (4th)
Round 6 - not in top 5
Round 7 - 15.1km (2nd)
Round 8 - 15.4km (4th)

You will either flog us or get over the line in a scrappy game. After today I can see us going ultra defensive to stop the dam wall from breaking. Don't be misled by our 5-4 win loss ratio. We're a bottom 10 team this year with some of the worst defenders in the league.

I don't buy it. I have seen the Hawks play some brilliant footy this year. They are a very proud club and will be in siege mentality after that loss to Brisbane.

He also gains 405 metres per match, compared to Masten's 259.

That's not many.
You just don’t get it.
There is no correlation between metres gained and distance run by an individual in any game.
One refers to the ball being moved or carried and the other distance run by any particular player.
Strange.

No, he is pretty consistently in the top four on the ground this year. Yesterday Masten covered 14.4km, which was the second most for an Eagle behind Gaff (14.9km).

Gaff 14.9km
Lambert 14.6km
Masten 14.4km
Rioli 14.2km
Hutchings 14.0km

Masten Round 1-8, most kms on ground:

Round 1 - 15km (4th)
Round 2 - 14.9km (4th)
Round 3 - 15.8km (2nd)
Round 4 - 14.7km (4th)
Round 5 - 14.8km (4th)
Round 6 - not in top 5
Round 7 - 15.1km (2nd)
Round 8 - 15.4km (4th)

4th alot? Not really top 3 tbh.... If he was top 3 or top 2 then I agree but top 4 is ok. I've thought about and I do agree he is good but he is replaceable. Now if Masten was
top 2 regularly then I agree he should stay in and he does have elite kicking.

Edit: Hold on I checked his stats
1: 15 possesions
2: 18 possesions
3: 20 possesions
4: 30 possesions
5: 27
6: 19
7: 17
8: 19
9: 16

So really is Masten vs Hutch who is better?
7: 27
9: 20

So its really hard I'm going to assume Hutch (inside) = Masten (outside) (both have downsides but both have upside).

In: Shuey
Out: Ah Chee (objectively Ah chee should be out based of possessions sadly)

Then
In: Ryan
Out: Hutch/Masten (going to go with hutch like I said Masten = Hutch)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4th alot? Not really top 3 tbh.... If he was top 3 or top 2 then I agree but top 4 is ok. I've thought about and I do agree he is good but he is replaceable. Now if Masten was
top 2 regularly then I agree he should stay in and he does have elite kicking.

Edit: Hold on I checked his stats
1: 15 possesions
2: 18 possesions
3: 20 possesions
4: 30 possesions
5: 27
6: 19
7: 17
9: 16

So really is Masten vs Hutch who is better?
7: 27
9: 20

So its really hard I'm going to assume Hutch (inside) = Masten (outside) (both have downsides but both have upside).

In: Shuey
Out: Ah Chee (objectively Ah chee should be out based of possessions sadly)

Then
In: Ryan
Out: Hutch/Masten (going to go with hutch like I said Masten = Hutch)

I'm not involved in the Masten v Hutch debate. It will be a tough call for someone to miss out if Shuey comes back.

I'm not involved in the Masten v Hutch debate. It will be a tough call for someone to miss out if Shuey comes back.
Didn't say you were worded it bad. It was a question I asked everyone. Who is better hutch or masten and I came to conclusion they are equal. More so Masten is the Hutching on the wing and vice versia.

Venables>Hutchings>Masten

Just sayin
That's pretty tough.
No objectively Venables Possesions is too low... I go possessions. Venables unfortunately is not as impactful as Rioli for me to justify is spot based on talents. He is talented but that's not enough.

But I'm going to say If we had to pick Venables or Masten I'm going Masten for role. Unless Venables can show his skills on wing. We should try him but if Venables gets 10 possession or 14 on wing. Then Masten is better
If it was Venables or Hutch I'm going to go Venables.

But yes WAFL for Venables. We are pretty full.

In: Ryan + Shuey.
Out: Hutch + Ah chee

Only spot a rookie can take is Masten. But Venables vs Masten for wing I think Masten wins

But hey if we want venables then just drop Cripps. But that will not happen.

It should be Ryan for Cripps (like for like)
Hutch for Shuey (like for like)
Ah chee/Masten for Venables (mid rotation him)

Yes. Partly. He is part of the team, No?
If Masten gets credit for the team having a "cohesive feel", so does every other player, including Hutchings. So it's not an argument for one individual over another.

You just don’t get it.
There is no correlation between metres gained and distance run by an individual in any game.
One refers to the ball being moved or carried and the other distance run by any particular player.
Strange.
That's fine. But it suggests that Masten isn't actually that effective when it comes to run and carry, despite being an elite runner playing almost exclusively outside. His metres gained is actually pretty low for a guy playing that role.

Two, within a couple of minutes, third qtr, has time,switches play across half back, and very close to a horrendous turnover, has the ball agsin in time, bombs it down the wing, where a Richmond player takes an uncontested Mark, no eagle anywhere near it.

Then takes a mark on the left wing, somehow tries to play on, almost caught holding the bell, rushes a handball off to a guy under pressure.
Watching the replay now, had one bad turnover that was to nobody on the HFF (not a very dangerous position).

The play on the wing he did well to fend off and spin, he gave it to Darling afterwards who wasn't under any pressure whatsoever.

For comparisons sake:
Duggan had 2 kicks in the second quarter that were direct turnovers.
Cole grubbered a kick through the corridor that was turned over.
Yeo did the same thing as Cole through the middle of the ground.
Sheed kicked 2 OOBOTF as well as another few turnovers.
Waterman also kicks an i50 straight to Rance.

My point is that it happens all game and the only reason people remember is because it's Masten. I'd say Sheed and Cripps have been the two most disappointing so far watching the replay (4th quarter yet to come).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back