Preview Changes for Rd 5 vs North

Remove this Banner Ad

So where do we go from here?

Nobody put their hand up in the VFL game today. Except maybe Crozier and Martin.

Cordy should be available again.
JJ, Bruce, McLean, Darcy, McComb, Hannan and maybe Sweet and Bedendo (?) are all injured. Maybe Vandermeer too.

EDIT: Forgot Keath - he's injured too.
FURTHER EDIT: Scott's out (concussion)

Bont seems like the walking wounded.

Last edited:
We need players who can actually kick it kills momentum. Schache in as a forward he's far better than marra is right now

Can we drop the entire team bar English, give bevo a week off as he looks cooked and let one of our c grade assistants have a go? Or perhaps a bout of Covid might be the kick up the arse the entire club needs as 2022 is looking pretty dire.
North a chance?

Where do we go from here? I think we're good enough to turn things around and finish on the bottom half of the eight. But is that really acceptable for where this team should be at with the names we have on our list? It's not like we've been decimated with injuries, we've known Bruce won't be available for half of this year since last year yet we didn't do anything to try to replace him. We've known our backline was going to be under fire if we lost Keath, yet we didn't really do anything about that besides getting Tim Obrien (which we also lost Lewy Young so our backline depth didn't really improve much). We also know we are absolutely screwed in the ruck if English ever gets injured. We're just a bit mediocre with how we handle things. We're not ruthless enough. We're happy biding our time and hoping some players on our list will magically take the next step. The same issues have been appearing for years.

He had little say in that result but every time I see Louis Butler I wonder why we drafted Louis Butler.

I can't make a case for keeping any of the below in the team for next round:
Butler, Scott, McNeill, JUH, Weightman, Wallis and Williams.
However, the VFL cupboard is sadly bare so if anybody else can suggest a few deck chairs to be shuffled, go for it.

Bring Crozier in at half back, move Dale to half forward, Bont to CHF, Treloar, Smith , Libber in the middle, McRae to the wing.
Schache in swing between chb & Chf.play Martin until he can't play any more.
Keith, Gardner & O'Brien as talls down back.
Scott, McNeil, Vandermeer are to small and timid.
And finally Kick straight and you won't be having these frustrating conversations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to make much of a case for VFL additions. Players we need to step up didn’t.

I am a big fan of García - and apparently he was good but poor disposal - after today that is not what we need more or. Was hoping West played a big one - only needed one. More good game and should force his way in but had a rough game.

Martin was apparently good but just does not do enough to carry him a while game. English was fantastic and enjoys playing No1 and Sweet is injured. Schache was apparently average - he might be our best option but not if he can’t contribute either. Overall - ruck we not a big issue today so the leader of our problems/.

Caleb Daniel on Macintosh was comical at times. Daniel was not our worst but when it counted this mismatch was used against us.

Crozier is one of our most skilful but not where we need help - unless we play him at HFF or move Dale or Williams forward.

Jamarra was not great but we need to stick at him and hopefully with North he can bag a couple and get his confidence.

Butler was given a go and I understand he played well enough to get a chance but will now need to go back and get harder. I assume we are looking for a Langdon like winger but he is a long way off.

Did any notice that when kick for goal our players seem to rush it. As they are coming in looks like they are going to miss and the kick across their body. Seems like No routine or power through the ball. Throw stuff in the air, go the long run up. I don’t care but be more consistent or we will never be a reliable kicking team.

Also seem to be hesitant at attacking the ball other than a few exceptions. They looked much hungrier for the ball and keen on contact. And what this also means is that when we need to switch our defenders need to kick over a Richmond player who was defending the kick and pushing out player Further back - they controlled the corridors well to prevent us from using this path.

Together these smack of lack of a confident aggressive culture. Change this we win games like this.

I would hate to stunt English’s development but would see the best option for us to win is to play him forward 50% with Martin in.

• VDM for Martin
  • Crozier for Butler
  • glasses and a kicking routine for everyone

Out: Bevo and his brilliant fwd coach mate who has no coaching experience. Great pick Bevo, gifting a mate a job with no experience

I would be interested to see how many of our current staff knew Bevo personally before getting a job. Even the guys you don't hear about like the data analysts etc. It could run even deeper than we are aware of. I'm not joking or trolling either; seriously concerned about it.

This can of chopped tomatoes would probably go alright in our forward line. It couldn't be much worse than the current incumbents.

Otherwise the cupboard is a bit on the bare side.

empty-cupboard-1024x683.jpg

Find the criticism of the Assistants pretty comical really. In the past whenever bad goal kicking cost games it was always Hansen's fault. Now he has gone he is the greatest thing since sliced bread and it is all Spangher's fault. You can blame coaches for many things, but goal kicking is solely the responsibilty of the players out there.

I know Bailey Dale has become a weapon off the backline for us.

But since the goalkicking has reached levels of despair that are shocking even for us - is it time to move him forward? Obviously his struggles as a forward have been alleviated by his move to the backline (being hunted vs doing hunting), but he's easily the best kick for goal we have on the team right now.

We probs don't because he's become such a feature of our movement out of the backline. But that forward line is diabolical and we quite obviously need all the accuracy we can get. At this point I would rob Peter to pay Paul.

Alternatively if we wanted more accuracy and production we could do Schache for Marra. But there's no point in doing that, one is part of the future and the other isn't.

So where do we go from here?

Nobody put their hand up in the VFL game today. Except maybe Crozier and Martin.

Cordy should be available again.
JJ, Bruce, McLean, Darcy, McComb, Hannan and maybe Sweet and Bedendo (?) are all injured. Maybe Vandermeer too.

EDIT: Forgot Keath - he's injured too.

Bont seems like the walking wounded.

If Martin is fit then yes bring him in.

I’m a broken record on the issue but playing Bont/Dunkley/Macrae/Hannan and other non rucks has been driving me crazy since forever.

Was Keath meant to just miss tonight? If yes then obviously bring him back.

IN: Keath, Martin, Crozier, Roarke Smith

OUT: Butler (permanently), Wallis (also permanently 😢😢), VanDerMeer, Scott

Will be pissed off if I see Jamarra dropped, he didn’t have a good night tonight but we must persist with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back