Preview Changes for Rd 5 vs North

Remove this Banner Ad

Knowing they are injured means you don't recruit more of what you already have substantial depth of McComb, Cleary, Parker. Either way add them in we have 2 KPD 2 KPF 1 Ruck 1 developing ruck and 1 developing KPF/D. We have nothing in the 2's developing none nada zilch. We have no depth hence we are all saying "Bring in Cordy or Schache" even though we all know they're never going to make it.
Cordy has played over 100 AFL games that’s making it 😂

Keath, Bruce, Sweet, and Darcy are all currently injured. With list sizes as they are, how many key position players do you think you can have waiting in reserve?
Melbourne lost Lever and Petty at the beginning of the season and were able to bring in Tomlinson and Joel Smith. Brown goes out Wiedeman comes in. They play 2 rucks.
Brisbane have Jackson Payne who can’t get a game for example and plenty of other examples around the league.
All of these types are depth and would very likely get a game for us.
We have literally nothing developing in the VFl apart from a traditional ruck type in Sweet who mainly gets “development” opportunities as a key forward.
It’s negligent.

Last edited:
Cordy has played over 100 AFL games that’s making it 😂
As a KPD as the discussion is actually about or as a player??

Cordy is not nor ever has been a good KPD. He has been asked to play that position as we have not recruited nor developed players in that position since 2017 to the extent we have Keath as a quality KPD ironically recruited as an intercepting KPD and we rely on fill ins down there.

Cordy is a more than competent 3rd tall

Melbourne lost Lever and Petty at the beginning of the season and we’re able to bring in Tomlinson and Joel Smith. Brown goes out Wiedeman comes in. They play 2 rucks.
Brisbane have Jackson Payne who can’t get a game for example and plenty of other examples around the league.
We have literally nothing developing in the VFl apart from a traditional ruck type in Sweet who mainly gets “development” opportunities as a key forward.
It’s negligent.
Correct. You only have X number of list places. Filling that list with over 50% of the same type of player is not list management.

It is why I rate Bev's coaching higher than many in here with the extraordinary results he has managed, but am unsure on the level of control he has had that we ended up with a list bereft of KPP's Rucks, back ups and developing

Melbourne lost Lever and Petty at the beginning of the season and we’re able to bring in Tomlinson and Joel Smith. Brown goes out Wiedeman comes in. They play 2 rucks.
It’s negligent.
They also have Mitch Brown, Daw as ready made back ups with Van Rooyen developing

I Remember in the 2020 draft we placed a Bid on Essendon’s NGA Cody Brand 195cm key Defender but they matched. Their are a few defenders in this year’s draft Lewis Hayes, Kyle Marshall
We had had over 5 years to build this list not one or two

It’s negligent.
While I do agree...the inverse of this is also true. If we lose Dale, we bring in Croz/Williams etc. If we lose Bont, we can still play Macrae/Dunkley/Treloar/BSmith/Libba inside and we can bring in any number of smaller guys who aren't great but can fill a role and contribute. Melbourne can't address those roles anywhere near as well if they lose Salem or Oliver. We have been absolutely smashed in our weakest area; Melbourne have had injuries in their strongest. There aren't many teams in the league (maybe even just one) who could bring in three depth KPPs and not lose much.

The bigger problem for me is less the stocks and more our lack of system that enables mediocre players to contribute. Frankly, Weideman is kind of trash and JSmith isn't great either - but they are solid role players in a functional system. Our system is entirely dysfunctional which shows up the weaknesses of our subs unlike what happened in 2016. I loved Hamling, but there's no way Hamling/Roberts were that much better than Keath/Gardner/Cordy - we simply had a system that worked and supported them and enabled them to play to their strengths.

While I do agree...the inverse of this is also true. If we lose Dale, we bring in Croz/Williams etc. If we lose Bont, we can still play Macrae/Dunkley/Treloar/BSmith/Libba inside and we can bring in any number of smaller guys who aren't great but can fill a role and contribute. Melbourne can't address those roles anywhere near as well if they lose Salem or Oliver. We have been absolutely smashed in our weakest area; Melbourne have had injuries in their strongest. There aren't many teams in the league (maybe even just one) who could bring in three depth KPPs and not lose much.

The bigger problem for me is less the stocks and more our lack of system that enables mediocre players to contribute. Frankly, Weideman is kind of trash and JSmith isn't great either - but they are solid role players in a functional system. Our system is entirely dysfunctional which shows up the weaknesses of our subs unlike what happened in 2016. I loved Hamling, but there's no way Hamling/Roberts were that much better than Keath/Gardner/Cordy - we simply had a system that worked and supported them and enabled them to play to their strengths.
They’ve literally lost Salem. Bowey has come in and looked great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Salem has been out they had Bowey/Hibberd Oliver goes down they literally recruited Dunstan for that. They have shown us and the league how to build a balanced structured list

They’ve literally lost Salem. Bowey has come in and looked great.
Point taken - I do think it's worth considering though that by virtue of our academy/FS luck we haven't had the opportunity to supplement with high draft picks.

Salem has been out they had Bowey/Hibberd Oliver goes down they literally recruited Dunstan for that. They have shown us and the league how to build a balanced structured list
Hibberd and Dunstan are the definition of mediocre role players that are capable with a functional system.

That is true Dannnnnn but in reality our system has been built on not having quality first and then depth and then development in the KPP, Ruck area's.

Bev has manipulated a system that works well with the type of player he has to work with and for short periods of 4 to 6 weeks this system has actually stood up very well under pressure.

Evidence that it is not long term sustainable is we have never finished top 4. Evidence that is can work for 4 to 6 week blocks is 2 GF's and finals in 3 other of Bev's 7 completed seasons.

My concern is what evidence is there that we can turn this around? There is player responsibility whoever plays to work fully to the system we have with the list we have.

Melts are pointless on this weeks selections, as they are most times really, as those coming in will be no better or worse than those going out or be left out. We are dependant on our system working, which is high pressure creating many forward opportunities that we must massively improve not only our entries but also as blind Freddy could see, our accuracy.

Point taken - I do think it's worth considering though that by virtue of our academy/FS luck we haven't had the opportunity to supplement with high draft picks.

Hibberd and Dunstan are the definition of mediocre role players that are capable with a functional system.
Hibbered was an AA player and Dunstan polled 11 brownlow votes last year. They're not world beaters but are quality depth

That is true Dannnnnn but in reality our system has been built on not having quality first and then depth and then development in the KPP, Ruck area's.

Bev has manipulated a system that works well with the type of player he has to work with and for short periods of 4 to 6 weeks this system has actually stood up very well under pressure.

Evidence that it is not long term sustainable is we have never finished top 4. Evidence that is can work for 4 to 6 week blocks is 2 GF's and finals in 3 other of Bev's 7 completed seasons.

My concern is what evidence is there that we can turn this around? There is player responsibility whoever plays to work fully to the system we have with the list we have.

Melts are pointless on this weeks selections, as they are most times really, as those coming in will be no better or worse than those going out or be left out. We are dependant on our system working, which is high pressure creating many forward opportunities that we must massively improve not only our entries but also as blind Freddy could see, our accuracy.
I can see your point and mostly agree, but I don't wholly agree that the system was built with this lack of personnel in mind. We won a premiership playing defence-first football with a list composition not dissimilar to what we have presently, but since then we have panicked and somehow come to a point where we are making a considered effort to not man the mark because...because?????

Our scoring woes are problematic but the congestion and lack of cohesion we see every time the ball is in the vicinity of the F50 suggests more than just a lack of talent. Our KPD stocks are really concerning but there is absolutely no way they have a chance to function without up-field pressure...but unless Bev somehow masterminds personal teleportation, it is simply not realistic to expect midfielders to offer anything defensively when they are pressing forward as aggressively as we want them to. And finally, Bev can say "yeah basic skill errors really hurt us, if we cut down on them we'll be alright" all he wants but this is a consistent issue - at what point do we concede that our gameplan does not fit the fact that our team is not great by foot?

As for your last paragraph though - I wholeheartedly agree.

Nice sook but then again I wouldn’t accept anything less as you do it most weeks 😂
Where was the sook? You were shown to be shortsighted and went with the classic "you go do better" line then followed up by "I don't read your posts" think we can all see who the one who can't formulate and argument here champ

Where was the sook? You were shown to be shortsighted and went with the classic "you go do better" line then followed up by "I don't read your posts" think we can all see who the one who can't formulate and argument here champ
Stop quoting me 😂 you champ me how will I recover 🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back