Preview Changes for Round 1

Port_Girl_92

Senior List
Mar 8, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I've never really cared about Amon kicking out on the full or anything like that. I've always been of the opinion that the poor skills from the entire side was due to a lack of work rate by their teammates.

My problem with him is that he's just seemed to take up space on the field - that's why I gave him the nickname 'Anon'. He never really did anything that made you think he had a positive influence defensively or offensively for the team...his greatest highlights would be when he would get on the end of a chain and kick a goal.

But the player we've seen so far this year is a guy who understands that there's just as much benefit to laying a great tackle or being the link in a chain. He's a guy who feels like he's part of the team rather than on the outside of it. He's always been a great runner and had good speed.

He keeps playing like that, not only will he get a new contract, but he'll get a raise too.

Could it have something to do with the fact that two other left footers of similar build and skill ability (those who shall not be named), have now left the club.

I feel good things could happen for Karl this year. And I truly hope so, because if he is up an about and can get on the end of a few uncontested marks inside 50 then he is going to impact the scoreboard in such a god way.

This might be unpopular but I was talking with my cousins during the game and said that Karl is our best set shot inside 50, can't think of too many times hes missed a set shot I50.

Kane Cornes's centre line for his 22, the 3 recruits from late 2017.
C: Motlop - Rockliff - Watts

Everyone is talking about our trio of draftees (and rightfully so) but I reckon this trio could be as big a source of improvement for our team this year as any. Based on JLT form, maybe Chris Judd was right after all when he made those comments early last year.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Everyone is talking about our trio of draftees (and rightfully so) but I reckon this trio could be as big a source of improvement for our team this year as any. Based on JLT form, maybe Chris Judd was right after all when he made those comments early last year.
Nah... I don't see that way. We screwed up big time last year, despite all the struggles Motlop, Watts, and Rockliff may have had.

Could it have something to do with the fact that two other left footers of similar build and skill ability (those who shall not be named), have now left the club.

I feel good things could happen for Karl this year. And I truly hope so, because if he is up an about and can get on the end of a few uncontested marks inside 50 then he is going to impact the scoreboard in such a god way.

This might be unpopular but I was talking with my cousins during the game and said that Karl is our best set shot inside 50, can't think of too many times hes missed a set shot I50.

Replacement for Wingod huh? :p I'm actually down with that.

I've already made my position on the influence of those two on the entire team clear. I reckon Ryder and Gray getting stuck into Polec on the weekend shows exactly what they thought of his ability to make himself look great at the expense of team success last year when he was pushing for a new contract.

I'm not sure about him being our best kick for goal inside 50, but I do know that he doesn't pussyfoot around in front of goals. He's confident and his kicks have a real punch to them, rather than your typical up and under style most players have.

Judd was right, but only because those three weren't afforded the opportunity to jell in a team that already knew what it was doing. I still have no idea why we went from a system that was close to being perfect in 2017 to some lame Adelaide-lite system of trying to play positional football that didn't suit our list at all when Richmond had shown the benefits of the path we were on.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This is one of the main reasons i haven't quite understood why everyone has been predicting a significant slide down the ladder this year. Those 3 recruits all performed well below par last year, i expect them all to improve on their 2018 output.

Lycett and Burton look like solid additions and it is hard not to be excited by our trio of draftees.

Once our co captain and vice captain return i think we will have a very competitive line up. I'm not sure if we are ready to take the next step and be a genuine contender with our first top 4 minor round finish since 2007 but i'm definitely expecting to finish in the 5-10 mark again.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
PORT ADELAIDE assistant coach Brett Montgomery says his side won’t compromise on playing an exciting brand of football, despite admitting the high-scoring shoot-out in the first half of the Power’s JLT Community Series win over North Melbourne made the coaches’ box uneasy.

The Power led the Kangaroos at half time by 12 points in a 22-goal first half.
That included the highest scoring first quarter in AFL pre-season history where each side booted seven goals.

“We’re probably poles apart in terms of what fans like seeing and what coaches like seeing and I think the fan in us all says that these changes or improvements are great for the game,” Montgomery said during a radio interview on Adelaide station FIVEaa.
“But it did make us a little uneasy watching that centre bounce play in the first quarter, that’s for sure.
“The centre bounce has become quite devastating.”

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/n...mise-on-playing-an-exciting-brand-of-football

Cheesey Mac

Team Captain
Mar 19, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Red Sox, Patriots
Love to have him out there but I don't think Wines will play Round 1, if he is close but still under any sort of injury cloud I would think it would be silly to risk him. There is a full season to play, and I'd imagine the club wouldn't want to jeopardise any more his season for the sake of one game given his longer term importance to our side.

Trust the club to make the right call in when he is ready to go, and if that is round 1 then so be it, but I'd be surprised if he lead the team out next Saturday.

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
If the Drs clear Wal - he will play!

Port_Girl_92

Senior List
Mar 8, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think only Lienert comes out.

1. You should never underestimate any teams, but if we can manage to beat the Dees, then bring in Ollie and hammer and maybe even Dixon against Carlton, I'd feel much more comfortable. An extra week off, and coming in for some match hardening against some very inexpereinced and perhaps not yet full bodied players from Carlton would be better.

2. I wouldn't mind seeing Mayes in there, maybe at the expense of Duursma, but either way I don't think I mind.

3. Don't think Doogs has done enough to get automatically back into the squad (this is only from what I hear about his game against Souths)

I think we'll line up:

Jonas / Howard / DBJ
Houston / Clurey / Burton
Butters / Wines / Watts
SPP / Westhoff / R Gray
Ebert / Marshall / Rozee

Lycett / Rockliff / Boak

Bonner / Duursma / Amon / Motlop

Drew for Wines if Wines doesn't come up

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Unchanged is my prediction. Lienert simply drops off the extended 23 man team.
Amon wasnt in the 22.

So my prediction is that Howard comes in for Lienert and the rest of the teams stays the same.

Amon stays out not because he doesn't deserve it but because the incumbents did nothing wrong.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This is one of the main reasons i haven't quite understood why everyone has been predicting a significant slide down the ladder this year. Those 3 recruits all performed well below par last year, i expect them all to improve on their 2018 output.

Lycett and Burton look like solid additions and it is hard not to be excited by our trio of draftees.

Once our co captain and vice captain return i think we will have a very competitive line up. I'm not sure if we are ready to take the next step and be a genuine contender with our first top 4 minor round finish since 2007 but i'm definitely expecting to finish in the 5-10 mark again.
Totally agree! Changes over last year ...

PLUSSES:
1) Addition of Lycett, working in tandem with Ryder
2) Motlop, Watts, Rocky, a year further into our system
3) Rocky having a full preseason, looking fit and uninjured
4) Boak back in the midfield - looks a new player!
5) Amon seems to have stepped up a level
6) SPP over a horrid 2018, looks trimmed and fit, and ready to fire
7) Marshall ... Ditto. Has has a torrid last two years!
8) Addition of Rozee, Butters, and Duursma ... Look like future guns, but already afl-ready, and have provided a needed spark
9) Mayes and Burton have added solidly to our list.
10) Better team cohesion losing Wingard and Polec (Controversial, but backed up by anecdotal evidence)
11) New coaches and coaching setup ... GOLD! Benefits already can be seen!
12) A "Back to the future" hugely improved game plan

MINUSES:
1) Loss of Wingard and Polec, both quality, elite players (see point 10 above)
2) Dixon injured ... Won't really be back to his best for some weeks
3) Wines injured ... Should be back soon. But unknown how his shoulder will be through the year!
4) Can't think of any more

Seriously .... If we were top-4 contenders for the most of last year, and after a disastrous last part of the season still almost made the eight, how can anyone of reasonable intelligence confidently say Port will slide further in 2019?

Brown on AFL360 last night is the first of many IMO, that will come out and call us smokeys/contenders in 2019.

PLUSSES:
8) Addition of Rozee, Butters, and Duursma ... Look like future guns, but already afl-ready, and have provided a needed spark
10) Better team cohesion losing Wingard and Polec (Controversial, but backed up by anecdotal evidence)

MINUSES:
3) Wines injured ... Should be back soon. But unknown how his shoulder will be through the year!

Seriously .... If we were top-4 contenders for the most of last year, and after a disastrous last part of the season still almost made the eight, how can anyone of reasonable intelligence confidently say Port will slide further in 2019?

Brown on AFL360 last night is the first of many IMO, that will come out and call us smokeys/contenders in 2019.

I see it similar, but believe that Dixon is absolutely fundamental to any success (and of course Ryder). Without either of them we will struggle in games they aren't playing or 100%.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Amon wasnt in the 22.

So my prediction is that Howard comes in for Lienert and the rest of the teams stays the same.

Amon stays out not because he doesn't deserve it but because the incumbents did nothing wrong.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Was there a 22? What i meant was that Amon was one the 23 that played so only one Lienert needs to come out to leave you with 22.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I see it similar, but believe that Dixon is absolutely fundamental to any success (and of course Ryder). Without either of them we will struggle in games they aren't playing or 100%.
Totally! I am a huge fan of Marshall, and Frampton can fill in at a pinch, but we need Dixon back asap. I reckon him along with a Ryder/Lycett spearhead will prove a formidable combination.

Apr 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

PLUSSES:

MINUSES:

To me I think a few of your plusses are more question marks.

Watts and Motlop have been predominantly inconsistent players their whole careers. I am not sure another season in our system will really change that. I’m hopeful a move up the field for Watts (plus this rumoured new found maturity) will see him take his game up a level but I certainly wouldn’t be counting on it. Motlop was ok last year and I reckon that’s what we will get for the rest of his career here. Granted Rocky fit and playing predominantly midfield could be a big advantage over last season.

Marshall is still young and without Dixon (for who knows how long) he will be taking the oppositions best key defender. Expect further development but I am not sure he is the player that will start dominating games off his own boot and just like in the crows JLT game I think there will be games where he looks a fair way off the pace.

I will wait until the season proper starts before getting too excited over Amon. His game time has been pretty low the 2 games so we have seen him with fresh legs when most others are tiring. Granted he has looked good in that time but let’s see how he copes when the real stuff is under way and there is proper pressure being applied.

Mayes & Burton could add much needed depth but that remains to be seen. Mayes may have reportedly had a good maggies game but Andrew Moore had a stack of those but could never make the leap. Mayes has struggled to get a game for a club that has been outside finals his whole career, lets hope he can become the player that was taken at such a high pick, but its just as likely he will be the next Toump. I am hoping form some big improvements from Burton as he gets used to his new surrounds but he hasn’t exactly set the world alight in the x3 preseason games he’s played so far and wasn’t a lock in the Hawks lineup last year.

I would still also include the new gameplan as a question mark. Yes it looks much more exciting but lets see how it holds up under real pressure. I was pretty happy with what I saw in the first 2 weeks last season with the changes to our gameplan but teams soon worked us out pretty quickly. And as we saw in the first quarter last week there are real question marks about our defence one on one and I have a feeling there will be times when teams are able to really run the score up on us.

Hopefully we are on the right side of all those things above but its far from a guarantee, but that’s what should make the start of the season so exciting.

PORT ADELAIDE assistant coach Brett Montgomery says his side won’t compromise on playing an exciting brand of football, despite admitting the high-scoring shoot-out in the first half of the Power’s JLT Community Series win over North Melbourne made the coaches’ box uneasy.

The Power led the Kangaroos at half time by 12 points in a 22-goal first half.
That included the highest scoring first quarter in AFL pre-season history where each side booted seven goals.

“We’re probably poles apart in terms of what fans like seeing and what coaches like seeing and I think the fan in us all says that these changes or improvements are great for the game,” Montgomery said during a radio interview on Adelaide station FIVEaa.
“But it did make us a little uneasy watching that centre bounce play in the first quarter, that’s for sure.
“The centre bounce has become quite devastating.”

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/n...mise-on-playing-an-exciting-brand-of-football

Lol remember when someone said that 6-6-6 wouldn’t make a difference?

Even Nathan Buckley said it’s got to the stage where you can’t do anything much but just go one on one everywhere and hope for the best, because if you try and send players to the contest and lose the opposition will find the free player pretty quickly due to the fact that the areas are so open.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
To me I think a few of your plusses are more question marks.

Watts and Motlop have been predominantly inconsistent players their whole careers. I am not sure another season in our system will really change that. I’m hopeful a move up the field for Watts (plus this rumoured new found maturity) will see him take his game up a level but I certainly wouldn’t be counting on it. Motlop was ok last year and I reckon that’s what we will get for the rest of his career here. Granted Rocky fit and playing predominantly midfield could be a big advantage over last season.

Marshall is still young and without Dixon (for who knows how long) he will be taking the oppositions best key defender. Expect further development but I am not sure he is the player that will start dominating games off his own boot and just like in the crows JLT game I think there will be games where he looks a fair way off the pace.

I will wait until the season proper starts before getting too excited over Amon. His game time has been pretty low the 2 games so we have seen him with fresh legs when most others are tiring. Granted he has looked good in that time but let’s see how he copes when the real stuff is under way and there is proper pressure being applied.

Mayes & Burton could add much needed depth but that remains to be seen. Mayes may have reportedly had a good maggies game but Andrew Moore had a stack of those but could never make the leap. Mayes has struggled to get a game for a club that has been outside finals his whole career, lets hope he can become the player that was taken at such a high pick, but its just as likely he will be the next Toump. I am hoping form some big improvements from Burton as he gets used to his new surrounds but he hasn’t exactly set the world alight in the x3 preseason games he’s played so far and wasn’t a lock in the Hawks lineup last year.

I would still also include the new gameplan as a question mark. Yes it looks much more exciting but lets see how it holds up under real pressure. I was pretty happy with what I saw in the first 2 weeks last season with the changes to our gameplan but teams soon worked us out pretty quickly. And as we saw in the first quarter last week there are real question marks about our defence one on one and I have a feeling there will be times when teams are able to really run the score up on us.

Hopefully we are on the right side of all those things above but its far from a guarantee, but that’s what should make the start of the season so exciting.
I take your point regarding some possibly being question marks. But what you then point out is something more along the lines of "Seemingly much the same as last year"

My point was that we have many people including posters here saying we will be going BACKWARDS!! Some even saying bottom-4. I know with some it is just rhetoric to suit their agenda of hating on the club for trading out their favorites, and that a slide would validate their hate. But some honestly believe it.

Even if as you say, we get much of the same from Motlop, Watts, and even Amon. Even if Mayes and Burton end up similar depth to Hombsch and Pittard ... Where is the basis for a continued slide toward bottom 4? I don't buy it.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots

PLUSSES:

MINUSES:

Hartlett and, to a lesser extent, Broadbent coming back could be a plus with a small 'p'.

Apr 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I take your point regarding some possibly being question marks. But what you then point out is something more along the lines of "Seemingly much the same as last year"

My point was that we have many people including posters here saying we will be going BACKWARDS!! Some even saying bottom-4. I know with some it is just rhetoric to suit their agenda of hating on the club for trading out their favorites, and that a slide would validate their hate. But some honestly believe it.

Even if as you say, we get much of the same from Motlop, Watts, and even Amon. Even if Mayes and Burton end up similar depth to Hombsch and Pittard ... Where is the basis for a continued slide toward bottom 4? I don't buy it.

I guess if teams below us (ESS, ADL, BRI) improve exponentially then it's possible we could have a season similar to last year but still go backwards (especially with the nuances of the AFL draw). And I think it's possible to win less games than last year but still feel like 2019 was a better season if its our younger players who are leading the charge.

But yeah would have to be a horror season for us to finish bottom 4.

Back