Preview Changes for Round 1

He did say Wines is moving well but didn't someone claim Wines ruled himself out ?

Lycett - Club Debut
Burton - Club Debut
Butters - AFL Debut
Duursma - AFL Debut
Rozee - AFL Debut

Theres 5,

Wines not fit, Drew - AFL Debut. Maybe 6th ?

Hartlett ruled himself out. I haven't seen anything from Ollie but I'll stand corrected if he did.

Ken said that we will have 5, maybe 6 debuts in R1.

I reckon Wines might actually get up for this.
Wines playing would bump his captaincy credentials (even if it is a bit dumb).
Someone so desperate to play because he wants to be out there as the leader is fantastic.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Why Mayes? I'm ignorant as to why we took him but nothing about his recent years at Brisbane, or JLT1, sees him forcing his way in for me. Effectively you have him replacing Duursma which is an interesting conversation. Mayes is a 189cm 101 game defender who was quite the goal-kicker in his first few years. Duursma played adequately in the pre-season and we're hoping will be a future stalwart of the club. Rats, now you have me thinking Mayes is the better option.

I am glad I was helpful. Things being equal, I would go with experience over youth. I had Mayes on my Best-XXII from the beginning of pre-season, and, from what I have read, I wouldn't drop him out.

It would be an eye opener if that eventuated but if it happened and it worked you might be head-hunted for an assistant coaching role. And head-hunted in the 'sought for a defined role' way, not the 'I'm lost in the Brazilian jungle' way. At 181cm (Leinert is 193cm) Amon would lose most marking contests with tall forwards. But actual 1:1 marking contests are not so common that it need necessarily rule it out. Speed and experience might be enough.

Oh, I don't think it would be like-for-like. Amon would replace Lienert as a "defender-winger," but they are not the same type of defender. In truth, the last names in the lineup need to be picked considering the opposition. My problem is that I don't know nothing about Melbourne.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2007
NSW
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Even though his form doesn't really warrant it, I'd be strongly considering bringing back Howard to cover the resting rucks of Gawn & Preuss.

Just tell him we need "Mr Spoils" of 2018 back for one week only because there's going to be alot of ball coming inside 50. Hopefully if we're doing our job upfield that ball is coming in slow & high giving Doogs time to get across.

If Ryder plays we'll need both him and Lycett rotating through the forward line. Defence was the Demons weakest point last year and neither of their recruits in May and Kolodasjni are playing so it's an area we can try to exploit.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Honestly this could be a sneaky chance.

Watching the replay earlier and seeing the way Lienert was distributing the ball from half back made me think we'll miss him in round one. If Mckenzie can fill a similar role he'd be worth a crack for sure, and the fact he is showing the ability to swing up forward is a big tick.

It might depend if Hartlett plays, but I wouldn't be unhappy to see McKenzie play with these new rules.
Bang on
been in his corner for ages

portly

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2001
SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't agree with your views here. I believe we have the cattle, as we did the last couple of seasons, to be a top 4 side.

Our issues are game plan and belief, both of which are Hinkleys responsibility. We will get to a game thats mmake or break to set us up and we will see the players run out with the world on their shoulders and fumble and have a timid scared approach. Hinkley is not a motivator (it's why our 1st qtrs are either 100 mph or stop). When we fail in that make or break game, the heads will go down for the rest of the season.

Simply making the 8 for this sqaud is a massive fail IMO. We should be beasting into finals
Telling the players publicly that it will be very difficult to defeat your opponent is de-motivating!

Don't put ANY negative thoughts in their heads before a game.

And he talks far too much to be a motivator - I have found that less is more.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hope Frampton gets games, he’s a cult figure already in my head. Hopefully the other coaches see more than last years did and get more from him.

Lol I like to see the young ones rewarded..would rather he plays at least round one. Ollie has missed a fair bit of footy anyway.

Ollie has missed 8 weeks, not 18 weeks. It’s not the same as Hartlett or Dixon. He’s one of our best players and will have more of an impact than Drew in getting us a result. If he didn’t injure himself no one would have given Willem a sniff at R1.

If he’s fit, he plays. Especially against a Melbourne side where we are going to need explosiveness through the midfield at centre clearance.

Adam Marrett23

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2014
Hartlett ruled himself out. I haven't seen anything from Ollie but I'll stand corrected if he did.
Ollie didn't give much away in the post game function. Just said he is doing all the running, and round 1 may come to soon, but when he's back he will be ahead of schedule regardless of if he plays round 1 or 2. Personally I think he will be playing round 1 based off what he has said, but that's just a personal opinion.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Would love to see Ollie play even though he will be seriously underdone. I want to see the best 22 picked which should include Howard and Mayes. I don't want to hear "how brave we were playing the kids". Best team available please.

Perhaps given the form they are in those three kids have earned their spots in the best 22 come round 1 and perhaps Mayes and Howard’s form doesn’t warrant selection, hence why they didn’t play in the second JLT game ?

With Lienert going down that may create an opening for Howard but we may elect to just go with Jonas and Clurey with Watts also across half back, probably enough if Pruess doesn’t play.

Playthekids76

Team Captain
Mar 14, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Mate, pleeeez! One rule we should all have is, NEVER never put any store in the "Best Player" selections! This is the list from the AFL game day report:
BEST:
Port Adelaide: Rockliff, Boak, Watts, Duursma, Bonner, Lycett

The idiot rated Duursma above Butters, Westhoff, and Powell-Pepper! He was ok and had some good moments, but in the top 6??? I am convinced they watch 5 minutes of the game on Foxtell, then check the Supercoach high scres at the end to choose their best players!
Spot on....the idiots have no idea. Especially Gaskin & Homfray they are all about stats, both are clueless!!

Mayes won’t get games until later in the year. He needs to learn the system...it’s not like we’re playing something straight forward.

Did McKenzie drift forward to kick goals or was he put into the forward line? If it’s the first, bring him in.

Jason K

Premium Platinum
Mar 1, 2014
Henley Beach
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Mayes won’t get games until later in the year. He needs to learn the system...it’s not like we’re playing something straight forward.

Did McKenzie drift forward to kick goals or was he put into the forward line? If it’s the first, bring him in.

Why don't the 3 draftees need to "learn the system"?

Why don't the 3 draftees need to "learn the system"?

Cause they haven't been in another AFL system? It's far easier to teach someone who is a blank slate vs someone who has been doing it a certain way for eight years.

Mayes would probably be exactly like 2018 Polec at this point - he'll look fantastic because everyone else is doing their role, but he won't be playing team football. He needs to learn when it's time to push forward and when it's his turn to drop back and defend. I have full faith that he will.

Back