Preview Changes for Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think Marshall has been bad at all. The goals will come. But he’s making our forward line function better
To me, I see Marshall a (tall) small forward type... replacing Sam Gray rather than the dominant Tredrea type CHF at this stage.

If we can get a couple of goals a week out of Todd, I think that is more than serviceable at this stage of his career...

how can you go into a round 1 game with restricted preseason and no game time?? crazy!
I get your point. but I reckon as skipper they will give him every opportunity, because he has rarely been hurt I am not sure how good he is with no game time behind him.

I get your point. but I reckon as skipper they will give him every opportunity, because he has rarely been hurt I am not sure how good he is with no game time behind him.

Just had a quick look and was amazed to discover that Ollie has only missed 9 games in his 6 years - all of them in 2015. He's remarkably durable for a player who plays such a bash and crash style of football.

The winds seem to be starting to blow in the direction of Ollie playing ...
I rather not him play - play him with the Maggie’s on Friday night. If he does play and only puts in an average game or worst still breaks down I’d be pretty angry. Same with Ryder if there is any doubt about his injured cheekbone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you could potentially play Drew and Wines in the Rd 1 side.

Both part of the midfield mix in the square and at stoppages around the ground.

Outside of stoppages, play Drew in the forward half helping pressure the opposition, delivering the ball inside 50 and kicking a few goals, and play Wines in defensive midfield helping mop up ground-balls created by our defence (in the absence of Hartlett - probably not really needed when Hammer is in the side) and hand-balling off to runners.

In all seriousness I would play Frampton in Dixon's role. He's mobile, leads hard at the incoming ball and he has the white line fever to go for the big mark, crash packs and contest the ground ball - hard. He's a decent kick for goal too.

Marshall would be much more effective being his wingman rather than trying to play that role.
Who are U dropping for Billy to come in?

AFL.COM.AU Predicted sides for us and Melb round 1 (posted the full story on us in the best 22 thread)

PAFC

B: Darcy Byrne-Jones, Tom Jonas, Ryan Burton
HB: Dan Houston, Tom Clurey, Riley Bonner
C: Xavier Duursma, Tom Rockliff, Jack Watts
HF: Steven Motlop, Justin Westhoff, Zak Butters
F: Paddy Ryder, Todd Marshall, Brad Ebert
Foll: Scott Lycett, Travis Boak, Robbie Gray
I/C: Matthew Broadbent, Willem Drew, Sam Powell-Pepper, Connor Rozee

MELB

B: Neville Jetta, Oscar McDonald, Marty Hore
HB: Michael Hibberd, Sam Frost, Jordan Lewis
C: Christian Salem, Angus Brayshaw, Nathan Jones
HF: Alex Neal-Bullen, Tom McDonald, Jake Melksham
F: Christian Petracca, Sam Weideman, Joel Smith
Foll: Max Gawn, Clayton Oliver, Jack Viney
I/C: Aaron vandenBerg, Bayley Fritsch, James Harmes, Jayden Hunt

Forwards: Ryder/Marshall/Hoff/Gray/Butters/Ebert
Mids:
Lycett/Wines/Rocky/SPP/Boak/Motlop/Drew/Duursma/Rozee/Amon/Watts
Defenders:
Jonas/Clurey/Burton/Bonner/DBJ/Houston/Howard

If Wines plays 2 of the above are gone. When Dixon Hartlett come in, another 2 go.

For R1,
- I think Watts plays just- and Ken will want his flexibility while Dixon is out.
- Howard I think is the 7th defender, but provides tall option. We haven’t gone into a game with less than 7 defenders for years.
- I think Butters is in. So 2 of Amon, Drew, Duursma or Rozee might miss.

It’s gonna be fun trying to squeeze Hartlett, an inform Broady, and Dixon into our uninjured Grand Final team...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back