Preview Changes for Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Outside of stoppages, play Drew in the forward half helping pressure the opposition
Yep all 192cms(?) of him.
Gotta hunch the guy's a sleeping giant.
The Ranga from Koroit eh. A Ken favourite from his own backyard?
Who cares the guy can play. Might even add a dash of finesse and we need more finesse
Sell some candy and seize the moment ala Butters
but imo our most important player this yr is Lycett
Scott Lycett
with a licence to thrill

how can you go into a round 1 game with restricted preseason and no game time?? crazy!

He played AFL footy straight out of high school, he's played elite AFL footy for 6 seasons, he was fully training up until 6 weeks ago and has been able to keep up his fitness base the whole time he's had an injured shoulder. As long as the shoulder is completely healed, he plays and won't miss a beat.

Y
but imo our most important player this yr is Lycett
Scott Lycett
with a licence to thrill
I agree. He changes the dynamics of the team so much. Frees up Ryder. Protects Marshall. Protects Robbie Gray if they both play deep. Helps out Dixon - if he gets on the paddock - and allows him to play more CHF than FF. Changes our forward line structure so therefore it gives us the impetus to move the ball into the forward line completely differently to last years borefest and previous years incompetence.

You’re not going to fix Duursma by playing him in the SANFL. It’s not his decision making that is poor, it’s the fact that at AFL level there’s not as much time. Most of his ****ups come from when he thinks he has more space to execute his kicks. But we need his speed against Melbourne.

I forgot we played 23 yesterday...so it's Lienert out, no one in.

Hartlett and Broadbent will get into the side as soon as Burton/Bonner/Houston have a poor game. Mayes will get in as soon as Motlop has a poor game. Howard will get in as soon as Clurey or Jonas have a poor game.

Then you've got Wines and Dixon to come back in. They'll both come back through the SANFL to make sure they hit the ground running.

This is what a premiership calibre list looks like - when there are players who could legitimately have a claim to being selected in the 22 based on their own merit rather than the fact that a player fails to fire and we need a replacement.

Agree. No change. Give them a run. Plenty of time and scope to ring changes and get games into players like Mayes, etc as the season goes on. From observing recent years, more first year players have an early spark and then weary as the season goes on. Having Atley, Drew, Garner, Farrell, Mayes, McKenzie, Trengove, Broadbent, Hartlett, Dixon, Howard, Lienert, Gray and Wines to come in, keeps the pressure on but also allows us to rest players as they tire through the season.

Hammer and Broadbent need competitive SANFL to test their bodies and get them up to speed first. Dixon same boat.

Wines could come straight back in but I think it would be more sensible player management and send a good message to the squad, ‘not matter who you are, you earn your spot.’ Gives Drew a go. Reduces our reliance on one player or set up.

I agree. He changes the dynamics of the team so much. Frees up Ryder. Protects Marshall. Protects Robbie Gray if they both play deep. Helps out Dixon - if he gets on the paddock - and allows him to play more CHF than FF. Changes our forward line structure so therefore it gives us the impetus to move the ball into the forward line completely differently to last years borefest and previous years incompetence.
Lycetts’s true effect will be most noticeable when Dixon is back and we have the three of them playing, will release a lot of the pressure on our i50.

My Round 1 team:

B: Darcy Byrne-Jones ~ Tom Clurey ~ Dougal Howard
HB: Dan Houston ~ Thomas Jonas ~ Matthew Broadbent
C: Willem Drew ~ Travis Boak ~ Jack Watts
HF: Brad Ebert ~ Justin Westhoff ~ Robbie Gray
F: Steven Motlop ~ Todd Marshall ~ Connor Rozee
R: Patrick Ryder ~ Tom Rockliff ~ Sam Powell-Pepper

Int: Scott Lycett ~ Ryan Burton ~ Xavier Duursma ~ Zak Butters

Last edited:
My Round 1 team:

HB: Dan Houston ~ Thomas Jonas ~ Hamish Hartlett

I doubt we'll play Broadbent and Hartlett in the same return game. 6 club debutants including 3 AFL debutants. Hard to not be a little excited.
Hartletts playing SANFL Trial match this week according to the injury report.

My Round 1 team:

HB: Dan Houston ~ Thomas Jonas ~ Matthew Broadbent

Id be surprised to Broadbent in given his lack of exposure, no JTL games. Expect Broadbent to play in the SANFL trial then push for selection after a few games.

Doogs is an interesting one, not sure he'll come back in after being dropped. We obviously need to drop 1 from the last JLT so with Liernart going down we may be unchanged beyond him going out. If Preuss is injured then Melb only have McDonald and Wiedeman, Jonas and Clurey are probably enough for those two with Burton and Watts playing across half back. Especially given Howard missed out on the last JLT game and played in the SANFL trial because of poor form and from what i remember reading he was hardly dominant in that game. Bit of extra run and kicking power from having Bonner in could be handy on the MCG

All but confirmed to be the same team as JLT2 minus Lienert with his injury. 11 changes from Round 23 last year which we can infer/assume to be:

Polec, Wingard, Pittard, Hombsch (traded); Neade (delisted); Wines, Lienert (injured) and S. Gray, Howard, Farrell, Frampton (omitted).

Ins being:
Burton, Lycett, Duursma, Drew, Butters, Rozee (confirmed by Ken).

That leaves 5 spots.

Clurey and Rockliff didn't play Round 23 due to injury and are walk up starts imo so they are in. Bonner, Marshall and proobbaaably Amon the last 3.

So, in conclusion:

B: DBJ, Clurey, Houston
HB: Bonner, Jonas, Burton
C: Motlop, Boak, Westhoff
HF: Watts, Marshall, Ebert
F: R. Gray, Lycett, Butters
R: Ryder, Rockliff, SPP
Int: Amon, Drew, Rozee, Duursma

Emerg: Howard, S. Gray, Mayes

Id be surprised to Broadbent in given his lack of exposure, no JTL games. Expect Broadbent to play in the SANFL trial then push for selection after a few games.

Doogs is an interesting one, not sure he'll come back in after being dropped. We obviously need to drop 1 from the last JLT so with Liernart going down we may be unchanged beyond him going out. If Preuss is injured then Melb only have McDonald and Wiedeman, Jonas and Clurey are probably enough for those two with Burton and Watts playing across half back. Especially given Howard missed out on the last JLT game and played in the SANFL trial because of poor form and from what i remember reading he was hardly dominant in that game. Bit of extra run and kicking power from having Bonner in could be handy on the MCG

Broadbent injured again.

My guess is he needs 4 weeks in the ressies when he is ready to play.

All but confirmed to be the same team as JLT2 minus Lienert with his injury. 11 changes from Round 23 last year which we can infer/assume to be:

Polec, Wingard, Pittard, Hombsch (traded); Neade (delisted); Wines, Lienert (injured) and S. Gray, Howard, Farrell, Frampton (omitted).

Ins being:
Burton, Lycett, Duursma, Drew, Butters, Rozee (confirmed by Ken).

That leaves 5 spots.

Clurey and Rockliff didn't play Round 23 due to injury and are walk up starts imo so they are in. Bonner, Marshall and proobbaaably Amon the last 3.

So, in conclusion:

B: DBJ, Clurey, Houston
HB: Bonner, Jonas, Burton
C: Motlop, Boak, Westhoff
HF: Watts, Marshall, Ebert
F: R. Gray, Lycett, Butters
R: Ryder, Rockliff, SPP
Int: Amon, Drew, Rozee, Duursma

Emerg: Howard, S. Gray, Mayes

Would be one hell of a turn around for Amon if he's in. Maybe no club showing interest in him during trade period gave him the rocket he needed. Good for him!

Would be one hell of a turn around for Amon if he's in. Maybe no club showing interest in him during trade period gave him the rocket he needed. Good for him!

Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Homer pawns the tv to get enough money to get family bliss...or double your money back.

“Speaking of which, shouldn’t we go get our old Karl Amon back?”

“That old thing? Forget it! I want a Karl Amon player who hits targets, kicks goals, tackles like a mother*er and can blitz everyone in the time trial!”

“Yaaaaay!”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back