Analysis Changes for Round 11 v Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly, stoked to have Dale back. I hope he gets through the game unscathed. Absolute warrior.

On the selected team, it seems likely we'll get absolutely throttled at the contest on Saturday. This definitely isn't a team picked with an eye on winning the clearance count. We're obviously envisaging a different path to winning this game.

The only team to concede the clearance count and still beat the Dees this year was Geelong in Rd 1 on the back of Ablett, Selwood and Duncan running their backsides off and having 75 uncontested possessions between them (and a Max Gawn choke). Can Macrae, Hunter, JJ and Daniel do a decent enough facsimile of that to pull off something similar? We'll need them to run their opponents into dust to have a chance this week.

Secondly, I don't like having two extra half-backs on the bench, unless the intention is to play Crozier and Smith down back and push JJ, Richards and Williams up the ground and try and out-run their one-paced team. That at least has a conceivable chance of giving us an advantage on the day. But if Crozier and Smith are wandering around the wings and midfield... or all five are hanging out down back... not good.

I'd prefer JJ, Williams and Richards down back and Wallis and Dunkley in over Crozier and Smith, so that at least we can try a few things in the middle if they get on top and have run off of half back. As it stands, we can only really throw Macrae, McLean, part-time Bont and Dahl in there and hope that works all day. Maybe Hunter/Gowers/Lipinski to replace one of them at a time, but I wouldn't expect any of those blokes to have any impact in the clearance stakes.

Lastly, I don't understand keeping Roughead in against Gawn. Either drop Roughead for another runner like Jong (or a big mid, i.e. Wallis/Dunkley), to at least give us an increased chance of exploiting them for run, or play Campbell who at least has a chance of cracking double digit hitouts against Gawn.

At this point, the only way I can see Roughead being effective is if he employs capoeira tactics at the first bounce and gives Gawn a Guido Hatzis roundhouse kick to the jaw.

There's a grainy little black and white tv in the back of my mind showing us winning this game, but it's a bit hard to make out at present.

Firstly, stoked to have Dale back. I hope he gets through the game unscathed. Absolute warrior.

On the selected team, it seems likely we'll get absolutely throttled at the contest on Saturday. This definitely isn't a team picked with an eye on winning the clearance count. We're obviously envisaging a different path to winning this game.

The only team to concede the clearance count and still beat the Dees this year was Geelong in Rd 1 on the back of Ablett, Selwood and Duncan running their backsides off and having 75 uncontested possessions between them (and a Max Gawn choke). Can Macrae, Hunter, JJ and Daniel do a decent enough facsimile of that to pull off something similar? We'll need them to run their opponents into dust to have a chance this week.

Secondly, I don't like having two extra half-backs on the bench, unless the intention is to play Crozier and Smith down back and push JJ, Richards and Williams up the ground and try and out-run their one-paced team. That at least has a conceivable chance of giving us an advantage on the day. But if Crozier and Smith are wandering around the wings and midfield... or all five are hanging out down back... not good.

I'd prefer JJ, Williams and Richards down back and Wallis and Dunkley in over Crozier and Smith, so that at least we can try a few things in the middle if they get on top and have run off of half back. As it stands, we can only really throw Macrae, McLean, part-time Bont and Dahl in there and hope that works all day. Maybe Hunter/Gowers/Lipinski to replace one of them at a time, but I wouldn't expect any of those blokes to have any impact in the clearance stakes.

Lastly, I don't understand keeping Roughead in against Gawn. Either drop Roughead for another runner like Jong (or a big mid, i.e. Wallis/Dunkley), to at least give us an increased chance of exploiting them for run, or play Campbell who at least has a chance of cracking double digit hitouts against Gawn.

At this point, the only way I can see Roughead being effective is if he employs capoeira tactics at the first bounce and gives Gawn a Guido Hatzis roundhouse kick to the jaw.

There's a grainy little black and white tv in the back of my mind showing us winning this game, but it's a bit hard to make out at present.

Crozier will probably play mainly forward if last week is any guide. And I can’t see Daniel clocking up a huge number of possessions - he’s only gone over 30 twice, coincidentally both at
Subiaco - last year, and some final in 2016! Hopefully Roughy pulls one out of somewhere, we need him to break even in the ruck.

Crozier, buy a lottery ticket son
I understand what you’re saying but to a degree (and on the assumption they were traded with the intention of being starting players and not insurance/backup) Crozier and Trengove should be given a bit of leeway to see if they fulfill the plan the coaches have for them. I otherwise agree on form it would not be unfair to drop him, particularly given its in an area we actually have no shortage of replacements.

I also noticed Trengove’s comments on the AFL site that he’s happy to go back to being a back/utility but trained all preseason as ruck-forward. As good as it may be to recognize mistakes and act quickly to change, when you combine it with Wood it seems we really messed up the preseason planning.

Im stunned that Mitch Wallis can't get a game in this team. Whats the deal there?

What is his contract looking like?

Not looking good for Wally and Jong next year. Hard to know what we are planning to do with Dunkley as well. We'll be drafting more mids next draft and would be surprised if we aren't chasing Shiel or Kelly hard in 2020. Libba will be back next year as well.

Almost unbelievable that Wallis stays in the twos after last weeks seniors' debacle. But the magoos capitulated so badly...maybe he played shitehouse when the game was in the balance. Not good. Not good. This week's team selection basically says the cupboard is bare.:(

I've worked out an out-of-position selection that Bevo obviously hasn't thought of yet (otherwise we would have seen it by now this season).

Caleb Daniel 1st Ruck.

Gives us an extra mid to shark Gawn's hit outs, tunneling potential and...

...it would increase Caleb's versatility. Very important.

I understand what you’re saying but to a degree (and on the assumption they were traded with the intention of being starting players and not insurance/backup) Crozier and Trengove should be given a bit of leeway to see if they fulfill the plan the coaches have for them. I otherwise agree on form it would not be unfair to drop him, particularly given its in an area we actually have no shortage of replacements.

I also noticed Trengove’s comments on the AFL site that he’s happy to go back to being a back/utility but trained all preseason as ruck-forward. As good as it may be to recognize mistakes and act quickly to change, when you combine it with Wood it seems we really messed up the preseason planning.

Although they didn’t perform well in those positions, it was probably out of necessity to eventually play them back.
Bevo wouldn’t have seen long term injuries to Moz, Adams at seasons start.
I’d even tip Trengove going back in to the fwd ruck role or playing VFL once Naughton, Cordy, Adams become available.

we might be up against it but Barrett is a little weasel

MELB-header.png

If
you've kicked 69 goals in your past three matches ...

we've got you down for 30 at Etihad Stadium on Saturday. Bulldogs kicked two goals total in round nine, and none after half-time last week.

WB-header.png

If
Mitch Wallis can't get a game ...

then
there are problems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we might be up against it but Barrett is a little weasel

MELB-header.png

If
you've kicked 69 goals in your past three matches ...

we've got you down for 30 at Etihad Stadium on Saturday. Bulldogs kicked two goals total in round nine, and none after half-time last week.

WB-header.png

If
Mitch Wallis can't get a game ...

then
there are problems.
Can't argue with that, unfortunately :(.

Only one way to shut purple's gob...

Hi Guys,

It's disappointing to see how this season is unfolding for you (always had a soft spot)

I am just baffled by your selections.

After Grundy v Roughead, not taking a recognised ruckman in against Gawn is clearance suicide, Campbell with a lazy 72 hit outs on the weekend too.

Lukas Webb can't buy a game, Dunkley and Wallis are best 22 but clearly they have been told to work on certain aspects of their game but imo they were contributing enought to hold their spots. Wallis with 10 tackles against Adelaide before he was dropped so it can't be a defensive issue.

Honeychurch is a plodder who is not AFL standard.

I'm legit baffled what's going on with Bevo and the selection committee.

Anyways, best of luck on the weekend.. Fingers crossed for an upset!

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

It's disappointing to see how this season is unfolding for you (always had a soft spot)

After Grundy v Roughead, not taking a recognised ruckman in against Gawn is centre clearance suicide, Campbell with a lazy 72 hit outs on the weekend too.

Lukas Webb can't buy a game, Dunkley and Wallis are best 22 but clearly they have been told to work on certain aspects of their game but imo they were contributing enought to hold their spots. Wallis with 10 tackles against Adelaide before he was dropped so it can't be a defensive issue.

we are just as baffled as you are...
the whole coaching group has lost the plot and selections have been puzzling.

since the flag, we have made errors left right and center.
i think the whole club got ahead of themselves and some have big egos

Hi Guys,

After Grundy v Roughead, not taking a recognised ruckman in against Gawn is centre clearance suicide, Campbell with a lazy 72 hit outs on the weekend too.

Webb isn’t an AFL standard player, Dunkley had been poor in recent games and Wallis had been average so it’s not surprising none of them are in the team.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hi Guys,

Webb doesn’t find the ball. Agree with the rest.

I’m not a fan of Dunkley though. Wallis not being selected is crazy!

Ok, but Mitch Honeychurch is AFL standard?

Yeah he ain’t either. Contrary to opinion but it’s the loss of players with mongrel that is hurting us currently the most. Picken, Liberatore, C.Smith etc is our biggest problem. We really look far too soft and nice at the moment.

Watch us get bullied out of the contest this weekend.

Webb doesn’t find the ball. Agree with the rest.

I’m not a fan of Dunkley though. Wallis not being selected is crazy!

Webb in his last 3 VFL games has had 32, 28 and 31 touches. Does he play a different role at VFL level? That should translate to some sort of AFL standard form, even if it's 20ish touches.

Lipinksi seems to have taken Dunkley's spot off half forward and is doing it well so i kind of understand but i still believe he is AFL standard.

Wallis i love, doesn't take a backwards step and i think you are poorer team without him.

Campbell and Wallis in make you a more competitive team and the fact that someone like Honeychurch can get a gig after a 15 touch 2 goal game, while Wallis has 27, 7 tackles and a goal would certainly causing some angst inside the 4 walls of the kennel.

Yeah he ain’t either. Contrary to opinion but it’s the loss of players with mongrel that is hurting us currently the most. Picken, Liberatore, C.Smith etc is our biggest problem. We really look far too soft and nice at the moment.

and the scary thing is all 3 of them have ??? against them next year.
we cant rely on those anymore. have to look elsewhere

100% agree, those 3 you mention bring a competitve edge that the 3 players replacing cannot get close to replicating, which is why i shake my head at someone like Wallis who is available but is left out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back