Changes for Round 14 vs Port (Reid & Goldy in, Schaz & Smith out, plus Cox as emergency)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am because he is. You can argue about how well Smith does those things but that's his role. My point is where are our ground level half backs and back pockets? Maynard then no-one. It makes for poor team balance.

Not only poor team balance but made worse by the level of small forward the opposition has go through there at different tims of the game. Gray x2, Wingard, Impey etc. Big danger area for us tomorrow.

Do you mean like when we dropped Maynard and then traded him out of the club....oh no wait, hang on

Right, I forgot about how Maynard was a number 6 pick that's coming back from 2 knee reconstructions.

Totally the same situation, you're right.

Hawks were off the bye too, so moot point.

I cant split this game fellas and i really think it genuinely is a toss of the coin.

You guys will win. Your smalls will tear us a new one.

I am because he is. You can argue about how well Smith does those things but that's his role. My point is where are our ground level half backs and back pockets? Maynard then no-one. It makes for poor team balance.
If that's his role then he does it extremely poorly, because he provides zero rebound and is the most unaccountable of any of our defenders when it comes to keeping his man quiet. Our ground level small defenders outside him are unfortunately out of form (Ramsay) or injured (Varcoe and Sinclair).

I agree on team balance, but as it stands Smith offers none of those things you've listed which are supposedly his role.

There's a lot of outrage in this thread! First and foremost we should be rapt that two important senior guys in Goldy and Reid are back in. Secondly I'm glad that Smith was omitted, I'd almost go as far as saying he cost us the game vs Melbourne.

Regarding Langdon vs Shaz, I personally would have picked Scharenberg, but can understand that they're aiming to give both guys a block of 2-3 games to see how they go. In Shaz's 3 games he was just OK, nothing special but showed a few glimpses. I think Langdon's return was better than many made it out to be, and also think Scharenberg seems professional enough to handle this well. It's not the end of the world and I don't think it means anything long term. Let's just see how it all plays out.

I think we should win the game, the changes are favourable for us and not so much for Port, as they've lost both Polec and Broadbent who are important players for them. The factor that worries me the most is that we're coming off the bye and they're not, need to start well, a flat start could kill our chances.

Our thread is pretty tame compared to ports

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aish will probably play Smith's role.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do you mean like when we dropped Maynard and then traded him out of the club....oh no wait, hang on
Maynard is the very definition of a player who had games pumped in to him early despite so-so form. Fast tracking Berg the same way they did Maynard should be a priority.

Can't anyone of Adams, Crisp Sidebotom and even Pwndles play back a bit?

Yeah. I said similar earlier. Adams, Crisp, Aish in that order for mine. But none are naturals there which is my point.
Fair enough but neither was Howe a year ago I personally think all the ones you mentioned are a step up from Smith.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that's his role then he does it extremely poorly, because he provides zero rebound and is the most unaccountable of any of our defenders when it comes to keeping his man quiet. Our ground level small defenders outside him are unfortunately out of form (Ramsay) or injured (Varcoe and Sinclair).

I agree on team balance, but as it stands Smith offers none of those things you've listed which are supposedly his role.

The crux of my point was regarding our lack of ground level defenders, it's impact on team balance and as a result our chances of winning. Maynard and a piece meal assortment of what I expect will be Aish, Crisp and WHE doesn't fill me with confidence.

I cant split this game fellas and i really think it genuinely is a toss of the coin.

Going by the Season. No Result is a Sure Thing

Maynard is the very definition of a player who had games pumped in to him early despite so-so form. Fast tracking Berg the same way they did Maynard should be a priority.

Seems like that Bucks and Club are not Huge Fans of him like they where Maynard

Ewwww! He's never been anywhere near me let alone in me.
All that suggests is you are not prepared to slum it.
That makes a good policy.

I reckon you're right. Both teams are at that level where you can't be sure exactly what they'll bring or how it stands up against other teams.
very interesting game

A decent crack yes but I was referring to this year. He looks a lot slower than 2-3 years ago and the fast pace of the game is a bit different these days. I hope he can have some luck with his body and find some form up front. If so it will be a major option and bonus for us moving forward this year.

He'll be fine up forward and quite frankly we have the luxury of not needing him in defence.

Not sure hes materially slower, hes just been playing a different role....more the shut down defender rather than the creative one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back