Preview Changes for round 2 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Brander coming in for 1 away game loss, only to be dropped the following week (Just like last year) has shades of Worsfold about it.

Give the kid a proper chance to show his wares and flat track a bit at home. Let him get used to this level.

What's the bet you see him randomly playing in defence for the Beagles next week. As if that's good for his continuity.

Brander coming in for 1 away game loss, only to be dropped the following week (Just like last year) has shades of Worsfold about it.

Give the kid a proper chance to show his wares and flat track a bit at home. Let him get used to this level.

What's the bet you see him randomly playing in defence for the Beagles next week. As if that's good for his continuity.

We were too tall.

That was obvious.

Need run. Winning a game and 4 points might be more important at this stage, with the most suitable players available, rather than worrying about getting game time into a young player like Brander. His time will come soon enough. But, can't wait to see him when he's flying!
Still have Oscar, Petrol and Smith in as newbies..good to see what Smith can offer?

I think everyone acknowledges Brander is unlucky. If we had banked the 4 points vs Brissie maybe he would have been allowed to stay on but we didn't and I think the MC has done the right thing with selections.

I think it shows the MC's thinking a little as well, in regards to who the new players were replacing.

Waterman in for Cripps (obviously has now been dropped for J Smith)
Brander for JK
Allen for LeCras

So Waterman dropped to get more run into the side, Brander straight swap for JK (not going to win that one at this stage of his career). It's the nature of having a good side with good depth (at least in talls). Looks like he is first in line should JK, Darling or OAllen miss for any reason - but just one too many if he plays as the 4th tall. Hopefully we can get another few games into him this year (maybe moving Oallen to 2nd ruck opening up a spot).

I think it shows the MC's thinking a little as well, in regards to who the new players were replacing.

Waterman in for Cripps (obviously has now been dropped for J Smith)
Brander for JK
Allen for LeCras

So Waterman dropped to get more run into the side, Brander straight swap for JK (not going to win that one at this stage of his career). It's the nature of having a good side with good depth (at least in talls). Looks like he is first in line should JK, Darling or OAllen miss for any reason - but just one too many if he plays as the 4th tall. Hopefully we can get another few games into him this year (maybe moving Oallen to 2nd ruck opening up a spot).
Good summary. If Brander wants to stay in the side then he has to push Allen out, unless JK or Darling miss. Either that or he fills in as a ruckman if Hickey doesn't perform.

Brander a bit unlucky but the reality is that he is not even close to being ready to play at this level. Development type players like him will get a game with injuries only. We have just won a flag and looking to repeat the dose one would think and gifting developing players games is not the template unless as stated injuries call for it.

Brander a bit unlucky but the reality is that he is not even close to being ready to play at this level. Development type players like him will get a game with injuries only. We have just won a flag and looking to repeat the dose one would think and gifting developing players games is not the template unless as stated injuries call for it.
That wouldn't explain Venables.
I like his intent and suspect he will become a decent footballer but we carried him for half a season and still are.

That wouldn't explain Venables.
I like his intent and suspect he will become a decent footballer but we carried him for half a season and still are.

Agree on Venables and they clearly see him getting to another level quicker than maybe we all do. Petcha is another one also who I don't think is anywhere near ready. They know more than us I guess and it's hard to be to critical as we are coming off a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, Re Brander, Oscar is always going to be 1st cab off the rank with his outings and form already.
Am good with Venables, he'll be a great future asset, just pumping games into him.
Clearly, they're investing in Petch's speed as needed for the 6-6-6.
(but he still has to play his role, defensively etc)

Brander wasn't playing forward, he's been played as a roaming wingman, so Smith would be his replacement. I don't think he needs to be better than Allen to get in the team, but there's other factors to consider.

The tall players can be fit and have a great top speed, but they never (or very rarely) change direction and accelerate like a smaller player, so they struggle to shut down a chain of handballs like Rioli and Cripps would.

Venables is physical I'll give him that, just can't find the footy enough. I hope that the older guys are directing him on field.

everyone except WCE match committee.

Its bizarre tbh.

Today it came out we trained with wet balls and even put baby oil on the training footies leading up to the Lions game.

So we knew exactly how the game conditions would pan out. And we STILL went tall?

That is just weird.

Riolis Uncle passed away.. Notice we wore 2 arm bands last week.

Rd 3 vs Pies

INS
GAFF
RIOLI
CRIPPS

OUTS

Brander wasn't playing forward, he's been played as a roaming wingman, so Smith would be his replacement. I don't think he needs to be better than Allen to get in the team, but there's other factors to consider.

The tall players can be fit and have a great top speed, but they never (or very rarely) change direction and accelerate like a smaller player, so they struggle to shut down a chain of handballs like Rioli and Cripps would.

Venables is physical I'll give him that, just can't find the footy enough. I hope that the older guys are directing him on field.
Venables is puzzling, someone with his pace and skills shouldn't have any trouble getting 12-15 possessions a game, without an in depth study it seems to me most of his possies are contested, he doesn't seem to have the game sense to find space wide or forward of the ball to pick up easy kicks.
Not being aware of his role and what he is instructed to do by the coaches I can only assume they are happy with his efforts and see progress.

We’ve got plenty run now and the big beared lad is back.

Cripps and Willie to come back soon and we’ll all forget that Rnd 1 even happened.

Season starts now campaigners
Thats the way Biggie, lets do this and win bank the 4 points and move on

Simmo confirmed that Rioli wont play. Cripps and Gaff are definite

Yeah as much as we are all frothin to see the GROAT (greatest Rioli of all time) tear it up I think the smart move is to make sure he is fully over his hot spots and it isnt an injury that hobbles him for years. Give him a month if he needs it. Even if we have an average start to the season if we are able to keep our main squad and add Rioli NN and Gaff throughout the year we will be very hard to beat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back