Preview Changes for round 2 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Why wouldn’t the club, who has a history of being very open with these things (Schofield, Cole off the top of my head) come out and say that? Why would they fabricate a foot injury to a promising player ahead of Round One?

Its a " CLINICAL' Foot injury.

We always tell the truth we are not a lyon Club.......... ring any bells........:bell::bell:

Looking at TOG% and both Vardy and Hickey played ~75%

In reality they should both have been quite full of energy with that game time, maybe not the burst of Naitanui but they were lumbering around as if they'd played 100% and rucked every contest.

I'm all for the 2 ruck strategy but last night was a shambles and they weren't even rucking in half the ground!

There were times when Barrass was rucking at stoppages. F*cking Barrass.

If thats not an indictment on Hickey then I dont know what is. If he cant do the one job he was drafted to do then dont waste a spot in the Best 22 on him.

In reality they should both have been quite full of energy with that game time, maybe not the burst of Naitanui but they were lumbering around as if they'd played 100% and rucked every contest.

In fairness, the conditions were pretty extreme and probably not something they'll be experiencing again this season. It was 30+ degrees and 90% humidity. I was sapped of energy just sitting in the stands, let alone out on the field.

It was a jumper punch which the young punk played up. Nothing in it, will get a fine.
Whether or not the young punk played it up, it looked to me like there was contact between hand and chin, which has no place in the game, so I think he's far from in the clear. At best it was stupid and undisciplined (not to mention giving up a very rare 2nd half goal). At worst it could be an out for next week that we really can't afford right now at that position.

The main changes we need ahead of Round 2 are mental ones IMO. Fingers crossed that last night proves to be a successful wakeup call.

I’m really not liking the calls for Brander out but I can’t help but agree with them. We wouldn’t be dropping Allen and for now they can’t both stay in.. petrucelle stays in some of his chase work was pretty good last night but maybe he’s the one to make way for Gaff unless he tears it up this week. Need more runners against GWS.. Smith a chance to come in?

In: Kennedy Rioli McInnes Cripps (if ready)
Out: Waterman Brander Hickey Ryan (if suspended)
On the off chance Ryan is somehow suspended, I'd bring Cripps in, otherwise give him a run with the WAFL Eagles.
Fmac to primarily be a ruck in place of Hickey. If only Brooksby or Williams were ready instead. Take it as a game by game proposition. Sends message to Hickey that his spot is not guaranteed even with NN out. Don't think he'll be too much of a downgrade if he sticks to mainly being a ruck.
Brander unlucky, but too tall if we keep him and doesn't really have a genuine position atm. Allen stays instead, although Brander played different role as him. Hope he gets another opportunity soon.
I'd like for Petch to keep his spot. Was impressive in the 1st quarter when most of the team were at their best inc Allen. May eventually lose his spot to Cripps, but hopefully he can impress enough to stay in.

Last edited:
Some of you lot can not fathom a bench make up...like stuff names..Brander will get his time after JK.

Darling, Waterman, Allen, Brander and 2 ruckman was way too excessive and we lacked run obviously across a 4 Qtr game. With Cripps and Rioli back it creates more run on the interchange bench by having them 2 start. This season is not going to suit having too many in and under players that are slow like Masto.
Id like to think Petruccelle is going to be kept with these new rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As poor as Hickey was, I think we will give him another chance. Let’s see how he goes on a dry, fast track :)
In: Kennedy, Smith*
Out: Waterman, Brander :(

Really would hope Brander stays in, but if we are going to look for some more run, then he may be the casualty. That’s assuming Rioli isn’t right, if he is fit then he comes in for sure.

If Ryan gets suspended, then I think we have another option. It is time for some for a handsome young bull to come in and show some weaponry:

1AFF8BA8-027F-402C-B8E5-D007010BC7CC.jpeg

I am sure Dylan82 will agree :)
Bring on next week already!

Rucks was always a problem why didn't we go for roughead and lobb

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We didn’t have a lot of funds to spend. Roughead isn’t a true ruckman, he played in defence for Collingwood on Friday.
Lobb was out of our price range and again, he is a more forward then ruck.
Let’s give Hickey a bit more of a chance. If not... hope Nic continues to track along well!

Playing 2 x rucks, 4 x Key Forwards, 2.5 x Key Defenders (if you include the big boy Hurn who plays on the 3rd tall) in feral Qld conditions where it becomes a 'scrub it along the ground the furthest' match every single time, the same as in Tasmania.
No wonder we got belted.
Its even worse than the effort of selecting a side that they put in to play against NM in Tassie last year. (From memory they picked Barrass, McGovern, Schofield & Hurn to play on a B.Brown only forward-line.)
I'm filthy that's the way we started the season. Kudos to Brissy for wanting it more & working harder, but if you put a team with your forward-line average height of 194cm accross 5 of your 6 forwards when none of them could stick a mark in slippery conditions - which you knew were coming, you're going to be exposed by any team.

Everyone out here blaming the mids when the first 'position' that let down the club was the selection committee - and not for the first time.
Hickey was lost, sure, but 1st game with a new club. Also recognize the efforts of other 'mvp' candidate rucks like Grundy & Gawn this round, either somethings changed with the way rucks impact the game now, or it was just the shitty conditions across the country for football to be played at a high-skill standard

I think Liam Ryan was very undisciplined in that behavior at end of game. Eagles can’t afford players that are selfish and fly off the handle we need team players only!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

JK sounds like he is ready - straight in if that is the case.
Ryan’s jumper punch will like get a week - setting early precedence of 1 week
Listening to Simpson’s response, not expecting Willie or Cripps to be available. Pity as we would be better with both in.
Jack’s corky will be a watch point.

Simple fact is we lost it with our midfield. Underdone (Masten and Yeo) and reluctant (all bar Sheed). Rucks were beaten even though we won the tap count - the HO should only be counted if a HO to advantage. Am ok Barrass and OAllen sharing the ruck with Vardy and only playing 1 ruck but like to see how GWS set up today

The outside leg speed of Kelly and Whitfield are my biggest worries. Masten has not been able to read the play so far this year so I would be ok brining Smith in to play his role.

In: Smith, JK, AhChee Nelson
Out: Ryan, Masten Hickey Waterman

I want to see Petruccelle OAllen and Brander given an extended go.

Hutchings to tag Kelly

I'm with Simpson on this. I'd love Kennedy, Rioli, Gaff and Cripps back but the midfielders we have really didn't fire a shot.

In: Redden, Yeo, Hutchings, Masten, Vardy & Hicky.

I'd personally be looking to Ainsworth if fitness permits. Won't die wondering at the coal face and is good on the spread as well as in close.

In case Darling, Ryan, Rioli & Cripps aren't available... :sick:
In: Kennedy Ah Chee McInnes Nelson
Out: Darling Ryan Hickey Waterman
Tbh I have no idea about who should come in. The only one I'm sure about is JJK. Hickey will probably get another shot though. Too tall so Waterman needs to make way. Brander and Allen looked better. I guess Ah Chee and Nelson for some extra run(?). Although neither can replace Ryan. Better hope he is cleared, because we have no other available small forward options. We've gone from possiblity having too many, to only having Petch atm. Not sure if DV really counts. Cameron probably far away even if he was available.

Out:
Waterman, Vardy, Ryan (Probable suspension)

In:
JJK, Cripps, Rioli

Hurn, Barrass, Sheppard
Duggan, McGovern, Jetta

Hutchings, Sheed, Redden,

Cripps, Darling, Petruccelle
Rioli, JJ.Kennedy, Brander

Hickey, Shuey, Yeo

Venables, Cole, O.Allen, Masten

Yeo to spend more time forward when O.Allen backing up Hickey in the ruck.
If Ryan somehow gets off, he stays in, Brander out.

Ryan let us down - they clearly targeted him and he collapsed mentally - seen to avoid far to many contests. If he is as valuable as many say he had better get used to it. He doesnt show the tank to support the mids so must stand up up forward.. I think Reoli was missed in the midfield as was the past run LeCras who used to give - more than their forward work. OAllen is a work in progress and Waterman was at times the only forward brave enough to present - we were that poor.
I think we hoped Brander and Petro would add run but they were lost when the pressure came on. They will improve but we can not afford both in the team while they contribute so little. Vardy was helping up forward and was worked over - looked sore. Hickey needs to remember to tap to our team. I dont think we have a choice but retain him.

Given the mids collapse having JK would not have helped. Well played Bears defence.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back