Preview Changes for Round 3 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the key to our gameplan last year was we very much stuck to a 7 Defender-8 Midfielder(inc. 2 rucks)-7 Forward Structure. This meant that first hutch, then sheed and finally gaff were the unlucky extra mid to miss out.

Being at the game on the weekend, Smith was clearly playing that Cripps/Rioli HFF role, and was not really played in the midfield.

Therefore assuming Cripps is fit:

Ins: Cripps Gaff
Outs: Smith ???

Whether cripps is back this week or the derby, I think we are again going to have to make the tough call of dropping our 7th mid. Clearly Reddo, Gaff, Yeo, Shuey and Sheed are now walk up starters. Given Hutch's tagging flexibility, i doubt he will be out of the team either. Masten hasn't played particularly bad, its simply he may be the unlucky mid to now miss out with a full midfield availability.

The other option would be to play the extra mid and drop our 7th forward in DV/petch. Though in my view our team is more dynamic with petch/DV playing the pressure HFF role, as opposed to sitting that 7th mid on the HFF.

Good problem to have.

Re-watched this morning.

Venables wasn't nearly as bad as people are making out. His only real quiet quarter was the 3rd term. First half he was fairly involved and 4th quarter he popped back up again.

Put it this way, he's played worse games and Simmo has backed him so I'm expecting that to happen again.

No issues with him retaining his spot.

Only real Changes i like are Gaff and Cripps, if available, in for Marsden and Smith at some point.

Don't want us to upset the apple cart and be seduced into playing midfielders as forwards again just to fit everybody in. Unlucky, but shit happens. Club comes first.

Re-watched this morning.

Venables wasn't nearly as bad as people are making out. His only real quiet quarter was the 3rd term. First half he was fairly involved and 4th quarter he popped back up again.

Put it this way, he's played worse games and Simmo has backed him so I'm expecting that to happen again.

No issues with him retaining his spot.

Only real Changes i like are Gaff and Cripps, if available, in for Marsden and Smith at some point.

Don't want us to upset the apple cart and be seduced into playing midfielders as forwards again just to fit everybody in. Unlucky, but shit happens. Club comes first.
Agree completely, as I said above i would rather we drop an unlucky mid for gaff than play the extra one as a forward.

DV and Petch both offer a lot more pressure and goal threat, and i think DV’s quick hands and tap ons in the forward line often go unheralded. He produced both of shuey’s goals on the weekend from his quick fire handballs

Michael Christian missed the opportunity to show boat fining Darling for careless contact by ninja kicking Coniglio.
(Ninja kick comes after the ninja flip, dare not get in its way)

I would not be shocked if Gaffy and Crippa make their way back through the WAFL for another week. Gaffy has missed a lot of footy. Let him get the rust out at the Beagles this week.

All depends on recovery.

Couple of weeks ago I was working chopping down some trees. Hot as hell in Darwin and was going hard. No worries.

Next day woke up and f#&$@me my arm and shoulder was smoking with pain. Went physio and I had small teart in the bicep.

I never felt anything tear at the time and had no idea anything was wrong as I was warmed up.

Duggan is a tough kid a few aches and bruisers won’t stop him ,he’ll pull up good in a couple of days ...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would not be shocked if Gaffy makes his way back through the WAFL for another week.
I, for one, would certainly be shocked. Maybe even a little appalled. Definitely shocked

If Duggan injured, you'd have Schoey in with his previous big day out!
(but he might be underdone?) Duggs should be ok.
Cripps might be underdone (but has GF/Pies experience)(But I think he's out)
Gaffs a definite in. (Simmo looked certain as if to say 'F** Yeh!)
Keep Venables (GF/Pies experience) and Petrol (run and X-factor)
Smith/Masten out -but both have different Pies experience?
Don't think a premiership player will be left out?
Smith.
tricky...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We cant have too many low possession forwards ( allen ryan venables petracelle)
Last year we had lecras rioli and cripps getting a fair bit of ball in the middle and creating inside 50s .

If cripps and rioli come in 2 of Allen venables and petracelle need to go out

Or just 1 goes out and we shed a midfielder.

Duggan is a tough kid a few aches and bruisers won’t stop him ,he’ll pull up good in a couple of days ...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Selecting sore or proppy players isnt smart especially this time of year and with the players available.

Can see you are being posittive and light hearted but this issue bugs me.

One of the reasons we won last year IMO was due to multiple players missing chunks of the season in rehab and getting right for September. It was a blessing in disguise as these guys had breaks and were fit and fresh when it mattered.

No benefit at all playing someone with a sore knee in round 3.

Agreed, if not fit dont play, Gaff is an A Grade Elite mid, super fit. He is in
So what a great position to be in - no player was awful deserving to be dropped yet we need to make room for an AA fully fit midfielder.

Like for like assuming we keep the same structure based on last in it is so sorry but Smith to go. Based on who I believe is least likely to win us a b2b flag it is Masto.

I would also look at the idea put earlier (forget who) that we ask Venables to go back and learn to play midfield at Beagles. I am not a believer that Veners is a midfielder and am happy that he is a half forward. Waste of the pick we used to get him but he is no bust. That said - why not find out once and for all. Shuey Yeo and Redden can all do damage resting forward so I’m ok with Ryan and Petruccelle being the small forwards. Was Veners that bad? No. It is testing for the future.

Vardy deserves another turn at Grundy and Hickey was great. Brooksby and McInnes are knocking!!!

In terms of Cripps, he is Jamie and not Patrick so has not earned the auto select status. As others have stated, he is slow at returning and we do not need to rush him.

[B]Travis King[/B]‏Verified account @[B]TravisKing[/B] 3m3 minutes ago
More
JK wandered out for a relaxed kick. Good sign after his comeback from foot issues. Cripps pulled up well after his WAFL return, strong chance v Pies.

[B]Travis King[/B]‏Verified account @[B]TravisKing[/B] 4m4 minutes ago
More
Liam Duggan has to be in serious doubt for GF rematch, isn’t training and just spotted with a heavy bandage on his knee. Schofield ready to return alongside Gaff and Cripps. Nic Nat leaping at centre bounces and on marking bag, looks fantastic. No Willie still.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back