Preview Changes for Round 4 v Gold Coast @ Optus Stadium

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
People forget how up and down Shep was after his first promising first year in 2010. In 2011, 12,13 and even 14 he was thrown all around the field and was in an out of the side so much he looked like bog standard. 2015 he was given a role down back and has been a massive cog in our backline and just keeps getting better.
I’d well written off Sheppard by 2012. So glad he’s found a niche as a spoiling defender

Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
He had a very stop-start time at Port given he was in and out of the team and played all over the place.

He has enough good traits that its worth giving him an extended run as an inside mid once he is fit to see what he can deliver
I agree hes worth a try but from the little ive seen of him hes no world beater and he was at Port a long time for little effect and their midfield is not that great.

hudson2006

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2010
Kyoto
AFL Club
West Coast
Woah! A lot of guys down on my boy Nuggetty-Duggan in here.

He's a kid - he is going to have up and down games, even *gasp* several up or down games in a row! What Simmo has done is exactly the right response: sent him back to the WAFL then basically said "you've got one more chance. Pull your weight or piss off back to East Perth".

Lets just wait and see how Liam responds to the "discipline" that's been doled out, then riot for change if he continues to play with Freo-like mediocrity after a few more games.

Geez Louise - some people need a Bex.
Agree with your sentiment but just pointing out that Duggan wasn't dropped or disciplined, he was rested with a hamstring issue.

We've seen plenty of players' form affected by niggles (would bet that Gov is carrying something as well). Hopefully Duggan's issue is helped by the week off but this might just not be his year. 10% off the pace at AFL level is enough to make anyone look like a spud.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
With the greatest of respect, what game were you watching to have Hutchings as one of our best?

He played his role adequately and that was about it IMO.

If he didnt shut down Selwood as well as he did Geelong would have won that game in a canter. Not only did he do that, he managed to pick up 21 possessions himself and was putting pressure on Ablett when his hammy went. He played way more of a role that helped us win than Masten did and so deserved to keep his spot compared to someone who is classed as having a good game if he only gets pushed out of a contest 5 times instead of 10. There was no justification for Masten being in the side from round 1, and there still is none.

Eagle Wrath

Cancelled
Zombie Lover
Oct 22, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Agree with your sentiment but just pointing out that Duggan wasn't dropped or disciplined, he was rested with a hamstring issue.

We've seen plenty of players' form affected by niggles (would bet that Gov is carrying something as well). Hopefully Duggan's issue is helped by the week off but this might just not be his year. 10% off the pace at AFL level is enough to make anyone look like a spud.
He hurt his bad shoulder again during the Bulldogs game but played on. And last week, Ratugolea gave him a flying knee to the back/ribs on his left side. So I bet he is not feeling great.

Mcgovern getting hurt at - 2.00min.

Last edited:
True. The commentators downplay it as a "stinger". The ribs might be a new issue for him though.

I'd say "the ribs" have been an issue for him for a while.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Just on Duggan again, I think it's promising how many times he's in a position to score, despite his poor finishing in front of goal, he and Yeo seem quite good at roaming forward and getting a shot out of it.

He has the physicality that Cole probably misses, Cole's kicking hasn't been that good either.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
If he didnt shut down Selwood as well as he did Geelong would have won that game in a canter. Not only did he do that, he managed to pick up 21 possessions himself and was putting pressure on Ablett when his hammy went. He played way more of a role that helped us win than Masten did and so deserved to keep his spot compared to someone who is classed as having a good game if he only gets pushed out of a contest 5 times instead of 10. There was no justification for Masten being in the side from round 1, and there still is none.

He doesn't have a spot to keep!? That was his job. He was brought in to tag or shut down Ablett. He did his job. He will be called upon again as needed, horses for courses, or depth to cover an injury. He is not a preferred player. He knows that. Attacking pace and tank is required, something Hutch lacks. It seems pointless rehashing this topic as it is with Duggan, people don't seem to comprehend, Duggans not going anywhere...unless he's injured or underperforms consistently or is squeezed out by a better player...

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Cole is the more natural midfielder IMO, it'd be good to see him get some considerable game time in the middle. Probably unlikely to happen for us nor at EP for a while though
No one will listen but I've been saying for ages that Cole should be played on a wing or something (fitness allowing). In the games I've seen of EP he always looks better bringing the ball into the forward 50 than he does down back.

Do we really think that is how they will line up?

Yeah forward line looks big as named but with NicNat and Kennedy both on limited minutes, you'd think there'll be at least one of the talls on the bench at any given time.

Nov 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool | Golden State Warriors
I completely resent this match committe notion that Yeo can only play midfield if we have Duggan playing as well.

We have more than enough intercept/rebound HBFs and KPDs for it to be a moot point and not necessitate Yeo needing to drop back from midfield.

Back