Changes for round 7 vs Fremantle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
If Fyfe misses i'd be happy for Shuey to also miss. No reason to rush back a player who was pretty beaten up even before the hammy.

Brander back in for Braynus would be preferred IMO, but i'm probably in the minority there.

Excited about the Williams talk, although Waterman potentially being the casualty who misses puts a damper on that. Jake needs to string games together.

Brander in just screws with the midfield dynamic...

Brander in just screws with the midfield dynamic...

Hardly,

Ainsworth didn't attend a single CBD. If anything he played the EXACT same outside beatnik wing role that Marsden/Brander do.

12 touches, 2 contested, 4 tackles and a snag is well and truly doing your job, so he gets a tick :whitecheck:

I just think Brander has a massive upside and greater scope at AFL level, whilst Ainsworth is arguably delist fodder.

1594859406461.png

Our first Sunday game since the restart means the return of the dreaded extended squad tonight.

Here’s my guess at how it’ll look.

B: Sheppard, Barrass, Hurn
HB: Duggan, McGovern, Cole
C: Gaff, Shuey, Redden
HF: Cripps, Darling, Sheed
F: Ryan, Kennedy, Ah Chee
R: Naitanui, Kelly, Yeo
I (from): Waterman, Allen, Williams, Nelson, Cameron, Ainsworth, Rotham, Watson

In: Shuey, Williams, Rotham, Watson
Out: no one yet

Shuey to be withdrawn Friday or Saturday after serving his purpose in the game of Derby selection silly buggers, and replaced by ... I dunno, let’s say Brayshaw. Ainsworth to hold his spot as a result.

Nelson and Cameron to also survive the cut tomorrow along with two of Waterman/Allen/Williams, depending on how Freo line up (and whether this rain is going to bugger off by Sunday).

Hardly,

Ainsworth didn't attend a single CBD. If anything he played the EXACT same outside beatnik wing role that Marsden/Brander do.

12 touches, 2 contested, 4 tackles and a snag is well and truly doing your job, so he gets a tick :whitecheck:

I just think Brander has a massive upside and greater scope at AFL level, whilst Ainsworth is arguably delist fodder.

View attachment 913084
If we’re picking on merit I thought Brayden Ainsworth’s game was better than anything Brander has produced this year. He linked up quite well, played within his limitations, and kicked a nice snag. I think keeping him in sends the right message to the squad.

Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
Hardly,

We made like for like changes last week and it paid off, why mess with the dynamic by gifting games to Brander for the sake of it.

I agree he has way more upside than Ainsworth but Ainsworth is serving his purpose by covering Shuey's spot, and if all he does is plays serviceably in these 2 games for the year then gets delisted I'm fine with that. Also, having Brander come in for a week and likely straight out again for Shuey doesn't exactly help his development.

Brander should be playing a key position, not midfield. At the moment he has shown less than Waterman and Allen in the opportunities given, so he doesn't get a spot. It's pretty simple.

campaigner___

Club Legend
May 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Hardly,

View attachment 913084
I agree with Brander. He has more scope as apposed to Ainsworth who is hard to be excited about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fyfe returning too early from the hammy should be a warning for us about handling Shuey
Give Shuey an extra week and get him cherry ripe for the Pies game the following week

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
Fyfe returning too early from the hammy should be a warning for us about handling Shuey
Give Shuey an extra week and get him cherry ripe for the Pies game the following week
Exactly what I came here to post. Shuey is far too important to risk, given the compressed season now an additional 3 weeks could mean missing 4 games.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
We need to be really strategic about that compressed period of games and look to rotate fresh players through. This is where players like Brander, Ainsworth, Williams, Hickey, Petch, Rotham, Schofield, Edward, Watson, Jones, Jetta come into play. We have to do all we can to avoid overuse injuries in our best 22 while keeping in touch with the top 4.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Our first Sunday game since the restart means the return of the dreaded extended squad tonight.

Here’s my guess at how it’ll look.

B: Sheppard, Barrass, Hurn
HB: Duggan, McGovern, Cole
C: Gaff, Shuey, Redden
HF: Cripps, Darling, Sheed
F: Ryan, Kennedy, Ah Chee
R: Naitanui, Kelly, Yeo
I (from): Waterman, Allen, Williams, Nelson, Cameron, Ainsworth, Rotham, Watson

In: Shuey, Williams, Rotham, Watson
Out: no one yet

Shuey to be withdrawn Friday or Saturday after serving his purpose in the game of Derby selection silly buggers, and replaced by ... I dunno, let’s say Brayshaw. Ainsworth to hold his spot as a result.

Nelson and Cameron to also survive the cut tomorrow along with two of Waterman/Allen/Williams, depending on how Freo line up (and whether this rain is going to bugger off by Sunday).
s**t, I forgot about that extended squad BS. It would be better if those clubs didn't release any team sheet until Friday, sparing us all the stupid intrigue.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
We need to be really strategic about that compressed period of games and look to rotate fresh players through. This is where players like Brander, Ainsworth, Williams, Hickey, Petch, Rotham, Schofield, Edward, Watson, Jones, Jetta come into play. We have to do all we can to avoid overuse injuries in our best 22.

I've thought about this and I don't know how I feel about it.

We could shoot ourselves in the foot if we do it the wrong way.

If oppo clubs get a sniff that we are strategically resting players, expect them to come out breathing fire as it is a sign of disrespect that you can just rest players against them.

Our games during that period are pretty much set;

Fremantle
Collingwood
Geelong
Carlton/Hawthorn.

Richmond/Bulldogs.

I find it hard to imagine Simmo not selecting best 22 available in an effort to be "strategic". As a coach Simmo is pretty straight up and down and doesn't really concern himself with those kinds of things, generally.

The other thing is AFL.com is reporting that 6 teams will have a bye during the 19 day bonanza. Very likely that will be the WA clubs and the clubs playing in WA. We may find our season isn't that compressed.

Fixture should be out Monday and we will know more then, I guess.

southcoast

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2006
southcoast
AFL Club
West Coast
I've thought about this and I don't know how I feel about it.

We could shoot ourselves in the foot if we do it the wrong way.

If oppo clubs get a sniff that we are strategically resting players, expect them to come out breathing fire as it is a sign of disrespect that you can just rest players against them.

Our games during that period are pretty much set;

Fremantle
Collingwood
Geelong
Carlton/Hawthorn.

Richmond/Bulldogs.

I’m in similar thought field as you.

I see many benefits in resting players but the teams/games coming up will be the typical ‘8’ point games against teams, like us, in the hunt.

Compressed season means we need to get the points against these teams.

Will be interesting to see how all teams manage the compressed season/fixture block.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back