Prediction Changes for Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the inclusions...

But i feel we've missed an opportunity for a mismatch up forward with not selecting McLarty, seems we've played into their hands with their lack of height in the back 6.

With Carlisle out, their defensive group is Brown, Geary, Savage, Coffield, Webster, Rice.

Outside of Brown who will go to Cox, their next tallest player in defence is Coffield at 191cm giving McLarty a 6-7cm advantage and nearly a 10kg weight difference. This was literally the perfect game for him to debut and get some confidence at AFL level.
Like the old days most of our debutantes were against sides not doing well it's actually a fantastic strategy give a kid a run in a game where it doesn't diminish your chances to much.
Yes his injury has had a real impact on the structure of our side. Same with Langdon and Maynard.
These were the players we all wanted dropped last year, they have started to show how important they are to the side, especially now that they are injured

Like the old days most of our debutantes were against sides not doing well it's actually a fantastic strategy give a kid a run in a game where it doesn't diminish your chances to much.

I agree with the McLarty selection by posters on this board due to the lack of talls the saints have named. Seems like a no brainer to me but the selection panel may be cautious because we need a win here to stay in the pack of 7 teams pushing for top 8

Like to think I'm pretty positive on our players with a glass half full tendency to be overly optimistic so when I'm talking of issues maybe it's others cutting him way too much slack.

I don't have access to the stats but I'd love to see the Phillips v opponent break downs for games this year. I think it would be highly illuminating.

Just did a comparison against Steele Sidebottom (2011) which is 32 games TP against SS 25 games.
Steele played in a much superior team in 2010 & 2011 so you need to factor that in.
You would be very surprised how even they are tracking.

IMO he will become a good average player.........you I think are judging him like he will be Nathan Buckley.

Just did a comparison against Steele Sidebottom (2011) which is 32 games TP against SS 25 games.
Steele played in a much superior team in 2010 & 2011 so you need to factor that in.

IMO he will become a good average player.........you I think are judging him like he will be Nathan Buckley.
I'm of the same view as jackcass with perhaps one slight difference....TP is improving, albeit slowly

Big tick at selection this week, now it's about execution against a bottom four side. Appleby is playing on the edge for mine, but I don't mind giving games to young players who show a bit of fight.

If Howe misses as some people have suggested, Langdon is going to fill his void as he can play as an interceptor. Backline has been rock solid this year, apart from the odd brain fart from Dunn, I think we have improved defensively and around general play covering the back half to beat easy goals.

I think we are set for an interesting few weeks, we must maintain our form (win/loss) line going north heading into the bye so we need to be in good form.
Appleby doesn't get beat. He'll need to clean up his skills but.

I've consistently said I think he could become a good player if he irons out his issues. Not sure why a poster being critical equates to:
1 - calling the player a dud; or
2 - sets the bar too high.

Even allowing that Sidey was 16 months younger in 2011 than Phillips is now, I'll be thrilled if he ends up as good as Sidebottom. Even comparatively with Sidey when he first started, Phillips is nowhere near as accountable, consistent (within games or game-2-game) or damaging, and he's so much more outside than Sidey ever has been.

1 thing caused that.

1. His usefulness as an ongoing AFL player was exposed. Not quite good enough.

Then how could he be at least a Handy Player in a Team that won the Flag then gone in 2 Years?

He did not put up huge Numbers but was Great Partner next to Cloke. Probably Cloke's best Tall partner up Forward

We got pick 18 from Melbourne for Dawes didn't we?

Unfbelievable re.

No. Was Pick 20.

Tried to get Pick 8 for Both Dawes and Wellingham but we got the Player we would of Drafted at 18 instead of 8

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've consistently said I think he could become a good player if he irons out his issues. Not sure why a poster being critical equates to:

Even allowing that Sidey was 16 months younger in 2011 than Phillips is now, I'll be thrilled if he ends up as good as Sidebottom. Even comparatively with Sidey when he first started, Phillips is nowhere near as accountable, consistent (within games or game-2-game) or damaging, and he's so much more outside than Sidey ever has been.

I never said you called him a dud......I just said for a second year player he is progressing well and you seem to be tougher on him.

He is actually beating Sidey in contested possessions in the stats I saw so not sure about the more outside part.
Anyway I didn't do the comparison to suggest he will be a Sidebottom I did it because they both have a massive tank at the same age.
I was just curious and surprised by the figures to be honest.

How about not having a go at me for having an opinion and show some respect or is that too much to ask? Is my opinion hurting your fragile male ego.
I was having a bit of an off night. I do apologise for the comment but they aren't tall in defence.

I'm of the same view as jackcass with perhaps one slight difference....TP is improving, albeit slowly

Certainly improving, played his 1st really good 4 quarter game against the Bears and has been more consistent this year within (most) games.

Fair enough.......personally I think he is tracking fine in his second year.

Yes, too true, but it's his 3rd year unless I'm mistaken.

I never said you called him a dud......I just said for a second year player he is progressing well and you seem to be tougher on him.

He is actually beating Sidey in contested possessions in the stats I saw so not sure about the more outside part.
Anyway I didn't do the comparison to suggest he will be a Sidebottom I did it because they both have a massive tank at the same age.
I was just curious and surprised by the figures to be honest.

I didn't say you suggested I called him a dud, but you did suggest that I was comparing him to Buckley, hence 2. set the bar too high. I seem to cop the extremes.

And he's a 3rd year player and was a mature age (19) recruit from memory.

I will call it right now and say there's no chance Phillips becomes a better footballer than Sidebottom.
I dont care what the stats say or how comparable they are, you can just see by watching the game.

Sidebottom is all class- left and right, major damaging player who can pretty much do it all.
Phillips statistically looks great but the reality is he is a poor kick of the footy under any sort of pressure, is terribly outside and considering he is outside- he has no turn of speed or wheels to go.

Sidebottom was A grade potential when he walked into our doors and turned into A grade reality.

Phillips may well be a serviceable player but he will never become an A grader when he has so many flaws in his game.

I will call it right now and say there's no chance Phillips becomes a better footballer than Sidebottom.

No one is saying that HFF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back