Changes for Season 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

See anything there that suggests he could be developed into a key defender besides grunt?

He's tall, mobile, has a bit of mongrel.

I like that he has some forward instincts, so would like to see him have a crack there first. But he could play back, he's more a KPP than a ruck.

So who actually improved for us this year and gets a pass mark or fail? (Only bothered looking at regular 22 players)

Amon - A
Aliir - A++
Burton - A+
Butters - C- (due to injury as he started strong)
Clurey - D
Duursma - D (due to injury and never reclaimed his form)
DBJ - F (biggest disappointment of the year)
Mckenzie - B+ (did well for his size)
Jonas - B
Houston - B
Boak - A+
Wines - A+
Lycett - B+
Fantasia - C+ (missing too many games as expected)
Motlop - D
Marshall - B (showed improvement)
Dixon - A
Rozee - B (expected more)
Gray - B
SPP - D (couldn’t demand a spot and regressed)
Georgiades - A
Bergman - A (great year for basically a first year player)
Ladhams - C+
Bonner - B (showed some promise this year and that Prelim pushes him from a C to a B)

So that’s only 8 players I’d give an A grade for the season.

Hopefully with a big pre season all of Rozee, Butters and Duursma will be in that A grade territory in 2022. I also think Marshall showed enough promise that he can push towards an A grade in 2022 with some extra strength and another pre season under his belt.

If you take it as read that Hinkley is staying as much as well don't agree with it the changes/improvement have to come from within.

We need to get Butters & Rozee into the midfield full time, they possess what we lack in their with their skill, so they need the challenge put to both of them that their pre season is spent becoming elite midfielders. I feel Butters will become one, his first four weeks before he got injured he was tracking that way. Rozee needs the challenge for me, and needs a better fitness base to be able to compete in the midfield full time. That's on him to improve over the long summer.

Does Hayes push on and become a number 1 ruckman next season or at least get 10-15 games in? I feel he needs to.

A proper sized key defender would be a blessing, but where we get one I can't see unless we develop one. We need one so we aren't relying on under sized key backs in big finals.

We're nearly at the end of a era with Robbie & Boak. I'm unsure if Dixon can carry our forward line for another season, he looks beat up and is getting on. So Mitch & Marshall need to develop their game and craft further over the summer.

We are stocked in the back flank & forward flank department. So that's not a massive concern for me. It's the key posts we need to develop.

Getting Dawson in would be a big get to add more polish with the footy to our group.

It's a big off season for the younger brigade to step up and take over the mantle from Robbie & Trav and co. They won't proof it can be done, they need to look at the steps Ollie took this year up become one of the best mids in the game. If he can do it, they can to.

I also think the time is now to make Ollie the sole captain heading into 2022 and beyond. He's earnt it and it's his time to lead us a step further then the past two years.

As for the coaching department, get rid of Bassett as a forward line coach, and get one in who can develop a functioning forward line with the quality tools at our disposal. We have the talent, we need a forwards coach who will maximize it, not squander it. Get a good midfield coach in to replace Schofield, one who can look at Melbourne & the Bulldogs and the elite midfielda in the competition and beat them, consistently.

As for Hinkley well we're stuck with him, I have no faith in him so I won't waste my breath talking about any improvement he needs to make, cause he is apparently above scrutiny and beyond reproach.

Hamish done, Gray done, Motlop done, Goldsack and Rockliff done. Fredrick, Woodcock, Lienart, Burgoyne, Mayes 1 year deals or good luck, Schofield, Farrell, Garner and Mead 3 years each.
You mean 1 year for the later four right? No way should they get 3.

Is like Farrell to be one a lead up forward. I’m a bit over this running around all over the effing ground Kenny game plan.

An efficient forward line and straight kicking is the off-season.

I am trying to be glass half full but it obviously gets harder with every failure, and at this stage I'm expecting a 7th -10th finish to next season at best, and a quick exit from the finals if we do get there.

It is obvious Colonel Klink `Koch' and Sergeant Shultz `Hinkley' are going to play the same one bad game card that Choco tried after the 2007 gf debacle, and didn't that go well.
I also expect that kern will be more worried about protecting what is left of his reputation than making positive changes designed to move the team forward for the future, and koch will remain the arrogant clown he has always been.

Re the 7 - 10 bit, I reckon we could know by as early as round 5 in 2022 whether any players have been permanently scarred from saturday nights PF debacle, and if we are staring down the barrel of another wasted season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is like Farrell to be one a lead up forward. I’m a bit over this running around all over the effing ground Kenny game plan.

An efficient forward line and straight kicking is the off-season.
Our forward play has consisted of the same dimwitted bomb-and-hope "strategy" for years. We call for an efficient, productive system every season and nothing ever changes. These clowns actually think what they've been doing is a good system, that's what baffles me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back