Opinion Changes for Showdown

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a Showdown. We've lost difficult but winnable games the last 3 weeks in a row. We're playing the Crows who have the media fapping over them even though they nearly lost to the Bulldogs at home and made even GWS look competitive. Development can get ****ed this week. This week we need to win.

RIGHT ON! We need to win: that's the **** ing best development there is.

that foward line is still too tall. If we're going to play renouf and redden, then one of stewart, westhoff or butcher must go imo.

Um?

Westhoff isn't in that team?

We're not pushing for the top8 realistically this year, Butcher's development is more important than Westhoffs.

due to this attitude we are not higher up on the ladder. Development comes before winning games, If we claim we are developing before winning we will turn into Richmond/Melbourne

I note Logan is off the injury list....... Matthew, do yourself a favour and get the hard nut in there.

side note, Pittard out for 4 more weeks. Good to see a number next to his name finally.

Whatever it takes, "development" can go on the back burner this week.
I h8 the cows and love to beat them.
We *need* to get a win against them otherwise our supporters are going to start dropping off again.
We can experiment against someone else not he bovines

due to this attitude we are not higher up on the ladder. Development comes before winning games, If we claim we are developing before winning we will turn into Richmond/Melbourne

On the other hand, if we claim we are winning games and completely not worrying about developing we will turn into St. Kilda in a couple of years. Trust me, that isn't gonna be pretty.

We need a balance. Choco went too far towards winning in his final few years and then Primus took it too far the other way (although in fairness to Primus, most of the seniors weren't do anything to suggest they should be picked). I think we've got the balance pretty much right at the moment, but I wouldn't be upset to see development thrown out the window for the next 2 weeks because we have 2 very winnable matches coming up. The extra money we'll get through attendances and maybe memberships if we beat Adelaide and Richmond might do more for the club than giving, say, Aaron Young two extra games of experience.

Whatever it takes, "development" can go on the back burner this week.
Uh, development is all we have. Why do people continue to talk about our senior players as if we can rely on them to deliver results??

Rodan 5 touches against the GC, C.Cornes unsighted. Salopek unsighted. Ebert did nothing. Chaplin probably the worst performance you will ever see.

We lost that game...Other teams have second and third string players dining out with 30 touches and 4 goals no problems. There is something wrong there.

Again, Kane on the weekend 35 touches against the Collingwood reserves for no impact, Dom did nothing, Pearce set the win up in the first quarter. Westhoff hardly touched it.

Give our guys miles of space and they'll run on the spot for a bit before delivering straight to an opposition defender. Our senior players cannot punish a team.

Ok, we want wins. So tell me how Aaron Young, Simon Phillips and Andrew Moore can do any worse than 4 narrow wins and 22 embarrassing losses over the last 2 seasons?

How can they be any worse than C.Cornes' 1 win in his last 20 games, a 119 point grand final loss, being part of the first team to lose to the GC, being the laughing stock of the league?

I really don't get this.

We go on about Jacobs being gifted games but then when we have a real shot at winning he plays his best game and Pearce takes over as no.1 turnover merchant anyway? So whats the difference?

If we can find another Wingard that will automatically make our team better than playing a Brett Ebert will.

edit: having said that I would bring Salopek in for Broadbent. Simply because he is in better form and would be better in the role. and Broadbent needs another wake up call.

Uh, development is all we have. Why do people continue to talk about our senior players as if we can rely on them to deliver results??

Rodan 5 touches against the GC, C.Cornes unsighted. Salopek unsighted. Ebert did nothing. Chaplin probably the worst performance you will ever see.

We lost that game...Other teams have second and third string players dining out with 30 touches and 4 goals no problems. There is something wrong there.

Again, Kane on the weekend 35 touches against the Collingwood reserves for no impact, Dom did nothing, Pearce set the win up in the first quarter. Westhoff hardly touched it.

Give our guys miles of space and they'll run on the spot for a bit before delivering straight to an opposition defender. Our senior players cannot punish a team.

Ok, we want wins. So tell me how Aaron Young, Simon Phillips and Andrew Moore can do any worse than 4 narrow wins and 22 embarrassing losses over the last 2 seasons?

How can they be any worse than C.Cornes' 1 win in his last 20 games, a 119 point grand final loss, being part of the first team to lose to the GC, being the laughing stock of the league?

I really don't get this.

We go on about Jacobs being gifted games but then when we have a real shot at winning he plays his best game and Pearce takes over as no.1 turnover merchant anyway? So whats the difference?

If we can find another Wingard that will automatically make our team better than playing a Brett Ebert will.

edit: having said that I would bring Salopek in for Broadbent. Simply because he is in better form and would be better in the role. and Broadbent needs another wake up call.

This is the problem I have also. These senior players have served us the same cold dish for 4 years with patches on 5 star dining but are continually requested. They need to be made accountable and they aren't going to take us to our next premiership.

Playing Young has nothing to do with a youth policy or development. He is currently our in form player in the sanfl and is a good fit for gray. Easily gets his game before ebert

I wouldnt mint sal in for broady either. But I doubt broadbent will be dropped

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don't get this.

Dont always agree with you Powerade but I like this post. Well all of it except the Sal for Broady bit!

How does it leave us with 4 Tall Targets + the Ruckmen? Its 3 + the Ruckmen?

FF Butcher, Schulz, Stewart butcher schultz wingard
HF Young, Renouf, Wingard pearce renouf logan
C Hartlett, Cassisi, Cornes harts cassisi cornes
HB Jacobs, Chaplin, Stewart jacobs chaplin stewert
FB Trengove, Carlile, Surjan trengove carlile surjan

Followers:
Redden redden
Ebert ebert
Boak boak

Interchange:
Pearce westhoff
Pfeiffer pfeiffer
McCarthy young

Sub:
Rodan/Phillips mccarthy

sorry. mental blip. i meant 3 tall targets + a resting ruck. far to tall and unflexible. westhoff in can move outside of the forward half of the ground which is why its either redden or stewert for me. and like ive said elsewhere reddens ability on the ground is ridiculously good. will not help us much with stopping run out of their once the other team wins it though.

Dont always agree with you Powerade but I like this post. Well all of it except the Sal for Broady bit!

+1 and I'm ambivalent re the Sal/Broady bit

I really have struggled to understand the competing thoughts - one minute it's all 'drop kane or hoff or whomever, and develop a youngster' and then it's 'drop those youngsters who make mistakes in one or 2 games and bring back Rodan or 'senior player <x>'.

I've never been one to get involved in selection debates because I don't see a lot of value in getting your knickers in a twist when you're not 'inner sanctum', there's a lot of subjectivity and emotion, and you often see 'for' and 'against' arguments that have validity. That's just me, but nowadays my head is spinning!

I'm of the firm view that so many 'senior players' have let us down, that getting them on the park will not improve our chances of winning - they've let us all down over and over and created this "culture" of laziness and "it's not me it's the rest of them" attitude that permeates at every level on the field, where too many people don't want to take responsibility for their own performance, for helping the team progess or for where the club is right now. Regardless of Primus's match day capability or anything-the-****-else he can or can't do, this is a massive job and one I do see some improvement in - so far - and particularly from the youth. Anyway, drifting OT now - will rant more some other day.

Saw a stat today that we're dead last in the AFL for hitouts but 8th in clearances. Ruck contests are overrated. I'd rather play D. Stewart so he can contribute a goal or two than play both Renouf and Redden who won't kick a goal or two but will be slightly less s**t in ruck contests than Stewart.
I agree re D Stewart offering us slightly more than the other two. Not to go OT but while perhaps overrated ruck contests are worth winning. A good tap to a running midfielder can deliver a goal in < 20 seconds.

Then it can't be Westhoff, he got the showdown medal last year......
Lord help me!

Surely Sal has earned a run. Surely.
Sal's about 13th pick now. Young is playing his socks off to name but one much better option.

+1 and I'm ambivalent re the Sal/Broady bit

I really have struggled to understand the competing thoughts - one minute it's all 'drop kane or hoff or whomever, and develop a youngster' and then it's 'drop those youngsters who make mistakes in one or 2 games and bring back Rodan or 'senior player <x>'.

Because you have to reward multiple weeks of good SANFL form or you send a bad signal to the group in the 2nds. You want people who are in the SANFL to work hard and improve in the knowledge that they can push their way into the team with improvement.

Because you have to reward multiple weeks of good SANFL form or you send a bad signal to the group in the 2nds. You want people who are in the SANFL to work hard and improve in the knowledge that they can push their way into the team with improvement.

depends on how you define 'multiple weeks of good SANFL form'

depends how you define 'improve'.

If a player is getting 20+ disposals in the midfield for his sanfl team, but still hasnt addressed the flaws that sent him there in the first place has he really improved?

^^^ this

Remove this Banner Ad

Back