Changes for the 3rd Test

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming everyone is fit, and assuming we select 3 fast bowlers and 1 spinner, what is our best bowling attack?

Starc, Hazelwood Lyon are the obvous ones.

Sayers deserves a shot, especially at his home ground. Been consistently good for some years now. But Bird has done nothing wrong when a) given the chance b) when he's been sent back to the Shield.

I'd like to see Sayers get a go, but I think Bird the safer option

Assuming everyone is fit, and assuming we select 3 fast bowlers and 1 spinner, what is our best bowling attack?
Bird has 13/320
Sayers 19/340 including 2 MOTM
Pink ball test should be swinging conditions & @ sayers home deck. I cant see how he doesn't play.

So knowing the selectors itl be starc Hazelwood bird lyon

Sayers deserves a shot, especially at his home ground. Been consistently good for some years now. But Bird has done nothing wrong when a) given the chance b) when he's been sent back to the Shield.

You're right. Bird has done nothing wrong & has put together a very respectable start to season in loosing sides. And is the safer option.

But in a dead rubber why play safe. Go for the win pick the man in form & taking bags

I meant if we have an uninjured bowling line-up to choose from and could look at guys like Pattinson, Cummins etc. Sorry probably belongs in it's own thread given the thread topic.

I haven't followed a lot about Sayers, but on Bird I really liked what he offerred us in his short stint in the test side. Do we have enough strike bowlers if we pick him though? Both Hazelwood and Bird would trend towards that line and length style. Perhaps that's what we need.

Starc, Pattinson, Hazelwood ? ( or one of Sayers, Behrendorff), Lyon

Yep that's what I was thinking with the fast bowlers, although I'm losing faith in Lyon rapidly. There aren't exactly any standout alternatives there though.

Yep that's what I was thinking with the fast bowlers, although I'm losing faith in Lyon rapidly. There aren't exactly any standout alternatives there though.
We can't hold 3 fit fast bowlers for more than 2 tests anyway so they need at least 6 in the frame.

I think Agar has potential but hes not helping himself playing home games at the WACA. Unless the new ground is expected to take turn more. He needs to move so he can showcase his talent more.

That said Lyon is far & away the best spinner when in form. Hes just not in form currently. But you know what would help him. Bowling to a score over 240 so he can set some more attacking fields

I am literally drunk on the all the delicious salty tears from all the Neville fappers in here complaining about him being drop despite him having the worst batting record for one of our keepers in living memory.

Are you 16?

Peter Nevill has played 17 matches and averages 22.28 with 3 50's.

After 17 matches, Ian Healy had an average of 19.38 with 1 50.

Nevill hasn't set the world on fire, but he's hardly the disaster you keep making him out to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you 16?

Nevill hasn't set the world on fire, but he's hardly the disaster you keep making him out to be.

That comparison would have a lot more credence if the role hadn't changed completely since Healy's day.

Watling - came in and more or less averaged 40 straight away. has dipped a bit since.
Safraz Ahmed - averages mid 40s
QDK - is arguably the best batsman in his team at the moment
Bairstow - can't keep but boy can he bat. Averaging 42.
Dowrich - finally Ramdin gets the flick, this bloke is averaging mid 30s and passing 50 every few innings
No idea who the Sri Lankan keeper is because it seems to change every game but I'd imagine he's doing better than Nevill.
Even Saha is averaging around 30 and he's s**t .

That comparison would have a lot more credence if the role hadn't changed completely since Healy's day.

Watling - came in and more or less averaged 40 straight away. has dipped a bit since.
Safraz Ahmed - averages mid 40s
QDK - is arguably the best batsman in his team at the moment
Bairstow - can't keep but boy can he bat. Averaging 42.
Dowrich - finally Ramdin gets the flick, this bloke is averaging mid 30s and passing 50 every few innings
No idea who the Sri Lankan keeper is because it seems to change every game but I'd imagine he's doing better than Nevill.
Even Saha is averaging around 30 and he's s**t .

For me, the benchmark for liability keepers is Kamran Akmal. He was a good enough batsman to score 6 Test hundreds and average 30 from 53 games but even that wasn't enough to save his spot. His Test career was done by the time he was 28. From what I've seen of them (and in one or two cases not much, none of those keepers mentioned above is as bad as Akmal was and I reckon at least four of them will end up with a better average.

You can argue about whether the selectors are right to go for batsman first, keeper second but the fact is they have. All there is left is to decide is who the best player for that specific role is. From what I've seen of their Test careers so far, the answer is Wade. People are expecting him to miss a few chances so, ironically, the pressure is on him to score big runs as opposed to being a demon behind the stumps.

For me, the benchmark for liability keepers is Kamran Akmal. He was a good enough batsman to score 6 Test hundreds and average 30 from 53 games but even that wasn't enough to save his spot. His Test career was done by the time he was 28. From what I've seen of them (and in one or two cases not much, none of those keepers mentioned above is as bad as Akmal was and I reckon at least four of them will end up with a better average.

You can argue about whether the selectors are right to go for batsman first, keeper second but the fact is they have. All there is left is to decide is who the best player for that specific role is. From what I've seen of their Test careers so far, the answer is Wade. People are expecting him to miss a few chances so, ironically, the pressure is on him to score big runs as opposed to being a demon behind the stumps.

All this. Ironically the only Akmal who could keep was the one who couldn't bat - Adnan.

Are you 16?

Perhaps you could compare his performance to some players from the 1800s?

It's a completely different job description for keepers these days and Pete the Incomplete failed the probation period and then some!

Don't particularly get 'it' with Chad Sayers.

A 125km/h medium fast bowler against a 135 km/h proven test match wicket taker.

What's the harm in trying. I like Bird but him and Halewood are quite similar, Halewood being the better version. Sayers provides something different- the ability to swing it. Speed isn't a major thing, Philander gets by bowling a tick over medium, Chaminda Vaas bowled slower than Sayers..

What's the harm in trying. I like Bird but him and Halewood are quite similar, Halewood being the better version. Sayers provides something different- the ability to swing it. Speed isn't a major thing, Philander gets by bowling a tick over medium, Chaminda Vaas bowled slower than Sayers..

Jackson Bird is a swing bowler

Jackson Bird is a swing bowler

Sayers is better at that part of it- swinging it. I rate Bird and Mennie playing ahead of him was a laughable disgrace, but I'm not sure Id want Halewood and Bird, as they are fairly similar bowlers. Sayers is something different, helps balance the attack, and would be important if there is reverse swing around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back