Prediction Changes for the Dogs - Reid, Daicos & Greenwood in for Wells, Fasolo & Murray

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What an absolute farce Wells' recruitment has proven to be. He's played two games of AFL in nearly 10 months and he needs a rest. What a terrific way to spend 500 thousand dollars a year!
At least Mayne has consistently made himself available to play. And didn't come back from pre-season break both times fat as a house.

If we lose in a tight game it will be a contentious move. It does make a bit of a mockery of our recruiting. The bloke has played 2 games and we are resting him. Are we saving him for the prelim and granny? Seriously, it smells a bit arrogant. Who cares if he is up and about in round 23 if we are 12th on the ladder? Losing four points now is just as damaging to our chances as four points in a month's time.

Yeah, but if he breaks down playing we'd all be thinking, "They should have rested him."

The judgement has to be about the whole season. We have 13 games to go and I'm thinking, ok, how many can we get him to play? 8 or 9 would be a win for me. We can't rely on him for wins, but he is the icing on the cake. We just want to make sure most of the cake is covered.

Yeah, but if he breaks down playing we'd all be thinking, "They should have rested him."

The judgement has to be about the whole season. We have 13 games to go and I'm thinking, ok, how many can we get him to play? 8 or 9 would be a win for me. We can't rely on him for wins, but he is the icing on the cake. We just want to make sure most of the cake is covered.

Bullshit. We'd all be thinking, why the hell did we recruit an injury prone, out of shape 33 year old?

There's nothing to say a rest this week will even help anyway, there's not consistency to the nature or reasoning of Wells' injuries, he just consistently gets injured. Conditioning is probably one part of it, which to me is the main reason they are doing it - they've acknowledged he isn't fit enough (as evidenced clearly in the Geelong game) so they are trying to get more fitness work into him as Buckley said.
But if he comes out and hurts his calf in the first 5 minutes of the round after his rest, then what?

i don't know why people keep linking Wells with Mayne,they're completely different players.Wells is a proven match winner,as he showed the other night with his skills,while Mayne is just an ordinary battler with little or no skills.Just because they came to the club at the same time doesn't mean they should be linked together forever.

i don't know why people keep linking Wells with Mayne,they're completely different players.Wells is a proven match winner,as he showed the other night with his skills,while Mayne is just an ordinary battler with little or no skills.Just because they came to the club at the same time doesn't mean they should be linked together forever.

They were part of the recruitment strategy for that year, of course they are linked.

Happy with the club rolling the dice on Wells recruitment.

Club says he isnt injured, just being managed and I have no reason to disbelieve that. They are setting him up for the second half of the season plus, hopefully, finals.

Mayne on the other hand was a mistake. But hes here now and bitching over his recruitment is a waste of time. With a few players missing hes adequate to good depth at the moment.

Because separately they are both massively overpaid flops. And together, they are both massively overpaid flops.

Why should they not be linked, just because one bloke is deemed to be skillful and the other isn't? They've both contributed about the same amount to date.

His final year better have been conditional.

Absolute farce.

Club should be ashamed of the recruitment of Wells and Mayne.

I think that offseason will be seen in decades to come as a low water mark of the professionalism of the club across the board.

I think that offseason will be seen in decades to come as a low water mark of the professionalism of the club across the board.

Luckily the bloke responsible for it was banned (for something he did at his previous club yet we hired him anyway.....grrr) and therefore left the club not long after.

It was a temporary low water mark. Hope Gubby never steps through the front door again (except for 1990 reunions)

Just wait until De Goey or Moore leaves because we can't front up enough cash to match an offer someone like North Melbourne makes because we're still being held ransom by these two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because separately they are both massively overpaid flops. And together, they are both massively overpaid flops.

Why should they not be linked, just because one bloke is deemed to be skillful and the other isn't? They've both contributed about the same amount to date.
Not really.Wells has contributed to us winning games last year and one game this year.He had the second highest score involvements of any player on the ground last week.Mayne has never had that sort of impact in any game he's played.So no,they shouldn't be linked.Two completely different players,who should be judged separately.

As a member l do not understand the situation with Wells, and l really hope the club is being honest to its members and supporters.
We are 9 weeks into the season, Wellsy has played 2 of those weeks, and suddenly needs a rest!!! He is going to be missed on Friday night. I did say there was a possibilty that after playing on the Etihad surface, he could miss the following week, and that has happened.
I think he is sore, and that has to be because of the Etihad surface being hard. The club obviously dont want him back on that surface this week.

My call too

Playing on a concrete base ain't good for the body

Great call from the club

Not really.Wells has contributed to us winning games last year and one game this year.He had the second highest score involvements of any player on the ground last week.Mayne has never had that sort of impact in any game he's played.So no,they shouldn't be linked.Two completely different players,who should be judged separately.

I don't really know where you are going with this. The bloke said the club should be ashamed of the recruitment of Wells and Mayne. Will it make you feel better if he splits it up more than that?

The club should be ashamed of the recruitment of Wells. The club should also be ashamed of the separate recruiting of Chris Mayne, which was equally as bad.
Separately judged. Cool!

On Wells, it's the right decision, given it's a six day break and it's at Etihad (he really should only play MCG or not at all), but let's not pretend that this situation isn't just a little bit crazy...

Taking it at face value, I'm not too worried they've rested Wells. Two short weeks and two games at Etihad, off a return from previous injury...I can hear his calf popping now if he tried to get up!

Get him solid for the second half of the year

I don't really know where you are going with this. The bloke said the club should be ashamed of the recruitment of Wells and Mayne. Will it make you feel better if he splits it up more than that?

The club should be ashamed of the recruitment of Wells. The club should also be ashamed of the separate recruiting of Chris Mayne, which was equally as bad.
Separately judged. Cool!
Whatever.My point was sound,but if it makes you feel better to have a good rant then go ahead.

What an absolute farce Wells' recruitment has proven to be. He's played two games of AFL in nearly 10 months and he needs a rest. What a terrific way to spend 500 thousand dollars a year!
At least Mayne has consistently made himself available to play. And didn't come back from pre-season break both times fat as a house.
Would you rather run him into the ground, or ease him back to into it in order to get the most out of him?

The problem with this is that his phone box work is overrated. When he wins it in the phone box, he doesn't distribute it, he just mongrels it forward.

I love Tay, but I reckon he should be a run with player until he improves his composure, decision making and disposal

Well that's the issue he can't be trusted with ball in hand, that's why I don't want him transitioning the footy he'll turn it over too often. Can he develop his DE so he can become that link up player? Maybe, should've done so by now.

I say leave him inside to feed it out by hand to one of ours. If he just wants to mongrel it forward or try to be the outside the player he isn't then the selectors need to question his worth to the team and the way we wanna play footy.

For what it's worth, Wells played and had a 6 day break before playing the Saints. If he played Friday night that would've been two 6 day breaks after being out due to injury. I suspect that could have something to do with the decision.

That said, it definitely doesn't help our cause in beating the Dogs which is a huge game for us.
Bang on.

Club is damned no matter what’s they do according to so many on these boards.

They should never have played an old injury prone Reid against the Tigers after ANZAC day....but then they manage an old injury prone Wells and they are idiots.

People rage when they persist in bringing stars like Elliott back through VFL...but Elliott goes and re-injures himself anyway.

Smart to give Wells a game off considering it is consecutive six day breaks...and as Bucks said, we are trying to create a deep squad...so hopefully give Sier or Daicos a chance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back