Debutant
Aug 17, 2009
subiaco
AFL Club
West Coast
Can't think of anything, but lets look at the differences:

Naitanui didn't do his knee 2 rounds back
The opposition won 12 games instead of 15
The opposition are still missing 3 best 22 players (Daniher, D Smith and Zaharakis)
We had a bad loss in the last round rather than a big unexpected win.

I reckon it'll be quite different this time.
me too, I reckon we'll flog them.

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City

angry-girl.gif

On Allen - massive shame to see him coming out, has had a great year and has been asked to do plenty for a young undersized forward thrown into the ruck.

He’s averaged one mark per game inside 50 for the year. He’s taken one in the past two games. The Nic Nat for Allen swap isn’t losing us much up forward, but gaining us plenty in the ruck.

Hutchings for Petch, don’t see how anyone can have a problem with this. Petch is averaging 10.4 touches, 0.6 goals and 1.6 tackles over the last five games. One mark total in the last two weeks. Hardly been setting the world on fire as a runner, crumbling forward or link up option, despite his physical traits. Give me the net impact of a poor game from Saad over the benefit of a solid game from Petch, which in his current form would even be a stretch.

The additional height is coming in with Schofield for Duggan. 196cm for 183cm. Massive difference admittedly, but Schofield isn’t the slowest bloke going. Structurally we need Schofield. We simply do, especially given TB’s latest efforts.

It looks tall, and yes if I had full control Cameron would be playing over Waterman, but I think the height factor is being overstated. Nic Nat and Allen are a wash in terms of covering the ground. Hutch and this version of Petch are a wash. Essendon would still be bloody quick with Duggan in and Schofield out, but it’s all getting done up the ground and not in our D50. I just don’t see these changes impacting the run as much as is being suggested.

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
What are the complaints about?
This is basically our premiership side without lecras and Vardy and with gaff etc.

Hutchings will shut down Saad.
Natanui is a greater presence than Vardy and offers increased contested ball
Schofield is basically our lock down defender allowing barrass and McGovern to rule the defensive 50.

It's a better side.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Changes from Grand Final team

In: Naitanui, Sheppard, Gaff, Hickey, Nelson, Waterman

Out: Lycett, Duggan, Venables, Vardy, Cole, LeCras

When you look it like that it’s like for like.

Nic Nat over Lycett
Shep over Duggan
Gaff over venables
hickey bout the same as 2018 Vardy
Nelson Cole same same
Lecra was still pretty average in the finals series. Waterman hasn’t been to bad.

VRDS

Rookie
Jun 21, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah having let the changes sink in I like them to. Schoey got the nod after that great interview on Boots for his 200th. Hutch is a risk but lets face it its an elimination final and he’s a jet, and unlucky for Oscar really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dogswamp

Debutant
Aug 17, 2009
subiaco
AFL Club
West Coast
On Allen - massive shame to see him coming out, has had a great year and has been asked to do plenty for a young undersized forward thrown into the ruck.

He’s averaged one mark per game inside 50 for the year. He’s taken one in the past two games. The Nic Nat for Allen swap isn’t losing us much up forward, but gaining us plenty in the ruck.

Hutchings for Petch, don’t see how anyone can have a problem with this. Petch is averaging 10.4 touches, 0.6 goals and 1.6 tackles over the last five games. One mark total in the last two weeks. Hardly been setting the world on fire as a runner, crumbling forward or link up option, despite his physical traits. Give me the net impact of a poor game from Saad over the benefit of a solid game from Petch, which in his current form would even be a stretch.

The additional height is coming in with Schofield for Duggan. 196cm for 183cm. Massive difference admittedly, but Schofield isn’t the slowest bloke going. Structurally we need Schofield. We simply do, especially given TB’s latest efforts.

It looks tall, and yes if I had full control Cameron would be playing over Waterman, but I think the height factor is being overstated. Nic Nat and Allen are a wash in terms of covering the ground. Hutch and this version of Petch are a wash. Essendon would still be bloody quick with Duggan in and Schofield out, but it’s all getting done up the ground and not in our D50. I just don’t see these changes impacting the run as much as is being suggested.
Mostly agree but nic plays about 60% game time, oscar was doing almost 80%.
Which means hickey on the ball 40%, bench 25% forward 35%, Hickey is not the best fwd.
So you'd like another runner to cover that.
With only 6 mids we need rotations or we'll be too buggered to win it at the coal face.
With hutch and Misty in the team it helps rotations, they got tank.

As for schofield being a tall, I reckon the back 7 takes care of itself, talls in the backline doesnt make the same difference as fwd/rucks and rotations.

Gugs9

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan

Haha at least they got half your equation right. 6 ball winning mids with hutch in.

To get the other half they could have dropped waterman instead of petch to have 3 tall forwards instead of 4. I guess the only silver lining is waterman isn’t a pure tall, actually covers the ground quite well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back