Preview Changes for the Mighty Dogs into the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

If he pinged a hammy there is absolutely zero chance they put him back on when they are so far on front, that can only make it worse.

You don’t play ducks and drakes with someone as important as he is to their setup

Well they asked Goody why they took the risk on bringing him back on and he said the game was still in the balance and they didn't have the luxury of thinking about next week. As soon as the game was won they brought him off. Players can generally tell the seriousness of an injury and when May first came to the bench he was visibly emotional which should indicate something more serious than just tightness or refered back pain which they say didn't warrant a scan lol

Said the same thing. They sent him back out to 'prove' he is fit. Carefully manage what footage is taken of him this week and next. Dogs plan for him, Dees name him then is becomes a late out an hour before the bounce.
Only thing is, apparently Smith is out, so there is no real depth if he doesn't get up and they'd just have to back Lever and Petty or send TMac down back and perhaps bring Weideman in. Interesting times.

He is such a staple of that defence that if he doesn't play or is restricted in his movement it would huge. Would also put more pressure on Lever to defend as opposed to rolling off.

Cannot see May playing on Astro if under any cloud. Would go to English first, then Schache. Astro is the one key forward with speed, agility and power and there is no way a tentative May could go with him. who he lines up on will tell if he is not 100%
Itll be interesting to see what they do. They always set up so that May is deepest, if they send him elsewhere it'll be disruptive to their structure.

Cannot see May playing on Astro if under any cloud. Would go to English first, then Schache. Astro is the one key forward with speed, agility and power and there is no way a tentative May could go with him. who he lines up on will tell if he is not 100%

Petty is a pretty good young defender. Underrated by a lot - will take some crucial minutes on Naughts.

Naughton will probably play up the ground but May won’t follow, so someone will have to peel off to go with him. May would love just to be able to play stationed 25m out and wait for the high ball to come in.

If Astro plays out of the square, his explosiveness might be too much for him to go with.

Naughton will probably play up the ground but May won’t follow, so someone will have to peel off to go with him. May would love just to be able to play stationed 25m out and wait for the high ball to come in.

If Astro plays out of the square, his explosiveness might be too much for him to go with.
That’s how we should be playing Naughty, at least to begin with. Play him deep and really trouble May. Tim can play high half forward really well and Schach can put work into keeping Lever accountable

Astro, Cody and Hannan are lively when the ball hits the deck, even English has no problems on the second effort and firing off a handball. Lever, May and Petty are vulnerable when the ball hits the ground.

My brother sent me this:

Amazing analysis of both our meetings with the Dees this year from David King, Craig Jennings and Gerard Whateley. Absolutely worth a listen to. Didn’t realise that Melbourne won the contested possessions count both times against us. You would think Dunks back (Especially if he tags) and Treloar will change that somewhat.

My brother sent me this:

Amazing analysis of both our meetings with the Dees this year from David King, Craig Jennings and Gerard Whateley. Absolutely worth a listen to. Didn’t realise that Melbourne won the contested possessions count both times against us. You would think Dunks back (Especially if he tags) and Treloar will change that somewhat.
Both those guys and Martin will help. Gawn has a habit of getting contested possessions against his opponent. I think we'll get a lot more in our front half this time as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Odds are stupid just like they were against Port but all the better for us

I can’t believe Jordan Lewis actually said he thinks the Melbourne midfield will eventually wear the Dogs midfield down, I hope they really believe that!

I found that baffling too. They really rely on two mids and a ruck. More likely our rotations wear them down.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Does anyone think it's really odd that Steven May didn't get a scan on his hamstring? I smell a furphy. Even if it's tightness clubs will as precaution will almost always get a scan to rule out an injury. It was evident during the game that he had no power in his legs or the ability to sprint. The fact that May is out on the track this week doesn't tell us much. The question that should be asked is if he is sprinting, jumping and changing direction at full speed ?

My feeling is May has done his hamstring likely on the lower grade, a 21day thingy. Would be a massive risk to play him. Either way we will know when the teams come out next Thursday or on game day if they choose to take the risk.
I agree completely. He definitely pinged his hamstring and he demonstrated in several plays afterwards he had lost strength and confidence in the said leg. He will play, but Naughton will destroy him.

It will be interesting to see if the Dees try to use the vision that got out of the dogs celebration with music and a couples beers after beating Port as motivation for them. Things like they do not respect us, they got ahead themselves. Pretty sure Bevo would be using it if the boot was on the other foot.

I agree completely. He definitely pinged his hamstring and he demonstrated in several plays afterwards he had lost strength and confidence in the said leg. He will play, but Naughton will destroy him.

If he plays and plays well I take my hat off to him that’s for sure.

It will be interesting to see if the Dees try to use the vision that got out of the dogs celebration with music and a couples beers after beating Port as motivation for them. Things like they do not respect us, they got ahead themselves. Pretty sure Bevo would be using it if the boot was on the other foot.

I loved seeing this video to be honest. Nothing wrong with a couple (emphasis on the word ‘couple’) of beers with mates after a victory.

This is part of Bev’s recipe of success IMO.

He allows/encourages the players to enjoy themselves (in moderation) and celebrate their success along the journey while keeping it in the context of the bigger picture.

The positivity can keep you confident and fresh. It’s been a long 2 seasons and the players need to enjoy themselves at times.

No doubt Bev will be reinforcing the message that the job is only three quarters done and we need to go out and do it again in the GF.

If Melbourne are punching walls in their hotel rooms in pent up rage (I doubt they are) and want to use this video as motivation, good luck to them.

I loved seeing this video to be honest. Nothing wrong with a couple (emphasis on the word ‘couple’) of beers with mates after a victory.

This is part of Bev’s recipe of success IMO.

He allows/encourages the players to enjoy themselves (in moderation) and celebrate their success along the journey while keeping it in the context of the bigger picture.

The positivity can keep you confident and fresh. It’s been a long 2 seasons and the players need to enjoy themselves at times.

No doubt Bev will be reinforcing the message that the job is only three quarters done and we need to go out and do it again in the GF.

If Melbourne are punching walls in their hotel rooms in pent up rage (I doubt they are) and want to use this video as motivation, good luck to them.

Yeah I love it as well but the point is that it got out when Bevo wanted to stay in house.

Yeah I love it as well but the point is that it got out when Bevo wanted to stay in house.

Yeah, that’s unfortunate. Perhaps some words need to be had with certain individuals within the club about boundaries etc.

But so be it. It’s out now. We should be proud of what we have achieved to date, embrace it and replicate it. Players ain’t robots. They deserve to enjoy the ride too.

Pretty sure any team would celebrate a preliminary final. Not sure how you could use it as motivation.

I think you are missing the point the celebrations are great but Bevo is angry that the vision got to social media.
You’re suggesting Melbourne can use it as some sort of evidence of disrespect to inspire them. I don’t agree, it’s just a team celebrating a win, nothing out of the ordinary.
I got the impression Bevo was just annoyed that something came out from the dressing room, not specifically an issue with this clip. In general he doesn’t want anything filmed in that moment probably in case something that could be used against them eventuated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back