Preview Changes for the Mighty Dogs into the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Folks often have phones out to record team song etc. I don't see any issue with it if a club person filmed it for their own keepsake, issue is it made it to a public forum.

I think the issue Bevo is referring to is that this is a private time for the players away from the constant scrutiny of the media and fans, so they can just be themselves.

We have all seen enough footy to know what that reach down to feel the back of your leg means. Hammy all day long. He will be pretty edgy stretching out fully.
That's why we have to send Naughts to him. Naughts already had him for pace and agility, take him to an uncomfortable place and exploit any hesitance from May.

It’s going to be interesting to see what we do with the Demons defenders given the footage they played on AFL360 last night. We all expect Schache to go to Lever but we may put him on May and get Josh to work him over as a decoy.

In the last game against Melbourne, there was some really good footage on how we worked hard to get Naughton onto Lever. I guess the thought is that Lever is more of an interceptor rather than a one on one defender so by playing Naughton on him it made him really uncomfortable and he wasn’t able to play his own game. Naughton rarely gets outmarked as well.

Essentially Hannan played a decoy role on May. The premise was to seperate their defenders as much as possible to get more one on ones rather than allowing a team defense. We definitely showed our hand with that tactic so it’ll be fascinating to see what both clubs come up with.

What I loved about the footage on 360 regarding the Lever/May matchups we forced was that Melbourne eventually gave in to us. Eventually, May and Lever said “This is getting too much. Fine, let them have their way.”

I’m not sure what Goodwin can actually do to stop this? If May and Lever are always focused on getting to who they want to get to, then then aren’t focused on intercepting. Schache/English/Weightman will take mark after mark on Hibberd/Petty. If they let us have our way and engineer Naughton on Lever, he can’t intercept anyway and will get dunked on. Schache could be given instruction to just lead May out of the contest and provide room for Naughton, etc

Thoughts?

Can Schache back up last weeks performance with another strong showing?
I feel that we may in these finals have seen the coming of age of Schache. He really looks like he believes fully that he belongs out there, not dropping his head if something goes against him. Strong in the aerial contest, repeat efforts in ground ball situations.
He didn't just negate Aliir he worked off him in the last half. We may have a genuine Swingman who can play back or forward.
Hope he plays a Blinder in the GF

It’s going to be interesting to see what we do with the Demons defenders given the footage they played on AFL360 last night. We all expect Schache to go to Lever but we may put him on May and get Josh to work him over as a decoy.

In the last game against Melbourne, there was some really good footage on how we worked hard to get Naughton onto Lever. I guess the thought is that Lever is more of an interceptor rather than a one on one defender so by playing Naughton on him it made him really uncomfortable and he wasn’t able to play his own game. Naughton rarely gets outmarked as well.

Essentially Hannan played a decoy role on May. The premise was to seperate their defenders as much as possible to get more one on ones rather than allowing a team defense. We definitely showed our hand with that tactic so it’ll be fascinating to see what both clubs come up with.
The thing is, May will muscle up and whenever we go to his opponent, Lever will come in as the third man up. Many ways to skin a cat. I expect Petty to get English, as Petty (197cm) is the tallest ahead of Lever (194) and May (190). The key will be separation. I would almost instruct Schache to remain on the fat side at all teams, keeping Lever away from the contest or leaving his man open. Thing is, Schache can play that selfless role and because he is such a dead eye, he only needs two or three shots on goal to have an impact.
Because we didn't have Stef Martin playing last time, it means English will spent a lot more time forward this time around, still leaving us a second tall if you discount Schache's role.

I feel that we may in these finals have seen the coming of age of Schache. He really looks like he believes fully that he belongs out there, not dropping his head if something goes against him. Strong in the aerial contest, repeat efforts in ground ball situations.
He didn't just negate Aliir he worked off him in the last half. We may have a genuine Swingman who can play back or forward.
Agree. He's backed up his good performances this year and I believe, turned a corner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, it'd be a warming story of Schach gets a premiership medal.

People aren’t suggesting VDM wasn’t actually injured and we milked the sub rule are they??!! I’m shocked
Will Minson and Brian Lake like this

Schache worked Aliir over a beauty.
We're in a good spot now that Hannan or Schache can play that role. JJ locks down Salem and we back in Cody/Naughts/English in the one on ones.
Baz plays his finals role - High HF who plays a a virtual midfielder then works back hard to be an offensive threat.

I think we tag one player in the middle with Dunks. It is Oliver or Petracca and I would go with Petracca because he is more likely to burst out of congestion and kicks the ball further. That is not say Oliver is not a danger but we do need to back our quality in even if Gawn is winning the ruck.

I think Schache will go Lever and play him mostly from behind like he did with Alir. Ok he loses the quick kick than lands short but defends the high ball and by playing back makes Lever more accountable by looking backwards to see where Schack is positioned. It would be a good tactic to target Schack early if he can get some separation this will have Lever think twice about getting off him an intercepting.

What would I know I am sure Bevo will get it right but whatever plans he has is dependent on the midfield getting it done.

Last edited:
Lol apparently Viney isn't a thug

He's just a little man who can lift heavy weights
Viney is what Rhylee West should become in a couple of years. Beast of a player. We'd love him if he was ours

Schache worked Aliir over a beauty.
We're in a good spot now that Hannan or Schache can play that role. JJ locks down Salem and we back in Cody/Naughts/English in the one on ones.
Baz plays his finals role - High HF who plays a a virtual midfielder then works back hard to be an offensive threat.
Who are we expecting to play on Baz? I’m expecting it to be Rivers with Bowey on Cody.

Who are we expecting to play on Baz? I’m expecting it to be Rivers with Bowey on Cody.
I'm hoping like the Port game - nobody :cool:

Probably Rivers at the centre bounce, but Melbourne will want to keep an extra behind the ball. I think when Smith presses up the ground to join the midfield they won't follow him which would be great for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back