Preview Changes for the Mighty Dogs into the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Does this bye week kill our momentum?

I know Melbourne had had 2 in relative quick succession.

How has our form been after byes in previous years?
It doesn’t affect anyone either way IMO. If you’re good enough then it doesn’t matter what happens in the build up. At the end of the day the game is won from the first bounce until the final siren.

We’ve shown that you don’t need an ideal preparation to be at your best and those who read into it are just using it as an excuse.

Steven May sporting a large bruise on the back of his right thigh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright let’s give this a crack!

Firstly we’re going to need some tall timber up forward to negate May/Levers intercept marking

English, Naughton, Schache

Then at the other end they have Brown, McDonald and Gawn/Jackson rotating through so we can’t go small.

Cordy, Gardner, Keith

Players with ‘Big Game Experience’ should also be certain starters as they have been here before and should be able to compose themselves early on.

Dunkley, Hunter, Bont, Wood, JJ, Libba, Daniel, Macrae, Duryea

Add to the mix some mature bodies with a couple of pre-seasons under there belt who shouldn’t tire after a extended season.

Hannan, Martin, Trealor, Williams

Sprinkle some x-factor in there who were built for finals footy.

Smith, Weightman, Vandameer

And this is what I’ve come up with!

FB: Wood Keith Duryea

HB: Dale Gardner Daniel

C: Hunter Libba Smith

HF: Hannan Schache JJ

FF: Naughton English Weightman

FOL: Martin Bont Macrae

B: Dunkley, Cordy, Trealor, Williams

Sub: Vandameer

Alright let’s give this a crack!

Firstly we’re going to need some tall timber up forward to negate May/Levers intercept marking

English, Naughton, Schache

Then at the other end they have Brown, McDonald and Gawn/Jackson rotating through so we can’t go small.

Cordy, Gardner, Keith

Players with ‘Big Game Experience’ should also be certain starters as they have been here before and should be able to compose themselves early on.

Dunkley, Hunter, Bont, Wood, JJ, Libba, Daniel, Macrae, Duryea

Add to the mix some mature bodies with a couple of pre-seasons under there belt who shouldn’t tire after a extended season.

Hannan, Martin, Trealor, Williams

Sprinkle some x-factor in there who were built for finals footy.

Smith, Weightman, Vandameer

And this is what I’ve come up with!

FB: Wood Keith Duryea

HB: Dale Gardner Daniel

C: Hunter Libba Smith

HF: Hannan Schache JJ

FF: Naughton English Weightman

FOL: Martin Bont Macrae

B: Dunkley, Cordy, Trealor, Williams

Sub: Vandameer
Early in the week I thought we should consider going tall back to mitigate their tall forwards. I no longer think that.

their height will only be an issue if we let them waltz it out of centre clearances. Stoppage clearances we’ll have a number back/have sound pressure mechanisms. Once a player is essentially spotting up a mate inside 50 without pressure you’re cooked anyway. Planning for such a bombardment is planning for failure. We will concede some goals. That can’t deny us our own weaponry.

plus Cordy is poor defending leads and their talls move well. Easton and Bailey W are good aerial defenders.
it will come down to the mids. If we give them yuckier entries and bring it to ground our clean hands on the deck are capable of hurting them on the break with such a tall forward line.

we have every reason to believe we can deny them unpressured entries. Stef will thud into Gawns body creating soft drops and he’ll smack Melbourne’s mids on the follow up. Our boys can mop up from there and drive it deep forward.

Charlie Spargo jarred his ankle during training. Had to receive medical attention from Dees staff. Didn’t take any further part, but didn’t have it iced.

Steven May and Joel Smith were just running laps.

Charlie Spargo jarred his ankle during training. Had to receive medical attention from Dees staff. Didn’t take any further part, but didn’t have it iced.

Steven May and Joel Smith were just running laps.
I think May will play but it’s a big call from the Dees as they have to roll the dice on him. Imagine if he got taken out of the game in the 1st quarter 😬😬.

I’ve spent the week just thinking about how much is on the line next week.

Win, and Bont is a 2 time premiership player, premiership captain and the talk of him being our best ever player becomes legitimate, all at the age of 25.

Win, Baz and Naughton are premiership players at the age of 20 and 21 with 12+ years careers still to go.

Win, and we get one over Melbourne. I really think it will be our two teams fighting it out over the next few years.

Win, and we’d have to be regarded as one of the most successful teams this century.

Win, and the club gets a massive financial boost. Our finances would essentially be secured for the long term.

Lose, and I have no doubt we will all be saying we will win one over the next 2-3 years. That’s true, but there is no promises. GF’s are hard to get to, even harder to win, so if you get a crack at them, you have to go all out. I’m confident we are in this up to our eyeballs

No doubt Keith and Weightman in.

With Dunks, Adz and Martin we are a better team than round 19 no matter who the outs are.

Play at near our best we are a better team.

Proud that this team we support and love are in the final dance. In order to beat us the Dee's will have to play at their very best and if they do cudos and fair play to them. Will dip my hat at move on to the future.

We play near our very best with our ins and they do not have the weapons to beat us.

No good worrying about it, enjoy our second Grand Final in 60 years knowing we are right in this. Support the players coaches and all involved until the end. We are still in the early stages of our journey

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
WELL SAID. WE ARE WINNERS!!!

I think May will play but it’s a big call from the Dees as they have to roll the dice on him. Imagine if he got taken out of the game in the 1st quarter 😬😬.
I'm told may is fine and will play, he boarded with keath at school and there is ongoing banter. Both playing👍

I’ve spent the week just thinking about how much is on the line next week.

Win, and Bont is a 2 time premiership player, premiership captain and the talk of him being our best ever player becomes legitimate, all at the age of 25.

Win, Baz and Naughton are premiership players at the age of 20 and 21 with 12+ years careers still to go.

Win, and we get one over Melbourne. I really think it will be our two teams fighting it out over the next few years.

Win, and we’d have to be regarded as one of the most successful teams this century.

Win, and the club gets a massive financial boost. Our finances would essentially be secured for the long term.

Lose, and I have no doubt we will all be saying we will win one over the next 2-3 years. That’s true, but there is no promises. GF’s are hard to get to, even harder to win, so if you get a crack at them, you have to go all out. I’m confident we are in this up to our eyeballs
I read your post really carefully and have come to the conclusion that if we do not lose, them we win. GO DOGS AND I AGREE WITH YOU. GO DOGS AGAIN!!! :))

It really is stunning that none of Treloar, Dunkley, Martin or Wood played in either of the matches with the Dees this year.

If Martin halves the contest with Gawn around the stoppages, and we win the midfield and take our chances in F50, I think we win.

And we lost Keath very early in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back