150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
OUT: Redden, Wellingham (if hurt), Giles
IN:Hutchings, Cole, NN (if ready).

Duggan and nelson to be given a second chance.

We've just managed to get that vanilla pudding Hutchings out of the team and you want him straight back in?

OUT: Redden, Butler
IN: Adamson, Jetta

Thought Redden/Duggan were equally poor for different reasons - Duggan didn't get it, Redden had a bit more (still below expectations) but wasted it. Let's keep the kid who can actually hit a target. Seems like Jetta had a middling game in the WAFL today but I want to see how he fares on the wider MCG expanses. Would like to see him rotate with Duggan for a bit off a back flank for some pace. Butler is okay but too slow and holds up our movement forward. Nelson is worth persevering with for a bit.

Out - Redden, Giles
In - Adamson, NN*

Adamson deserves a shot after consistent performances in the WAFL, not sure how Schofield fits back into this team? Barrass certainly to good to drop and McKenzie was solid on return.

Duggan out. No point to him at all, looks great but is a 1st round pick in his 2nd year playing midfield coming of a 3 week rest and gets 8 possessions, pretty much his standard output all year.
Might as well be playing Jetta, he's a better kick and low as it might seem, a 12 possession game's from him which we'd all complain about is actually 33% improvement on Duggan stats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Duggan out. No point to him at all, looks great but is a 1st round pick in his 2nd year playing midfield coming of a 3 week rest and gets 8 possessions, pretty much his standard output all year.
Might as well be playing Jetta, he's a better kick and low as it might seem, a 12 possession game's from him which we'd all complain about is actually 33% improvement on Duggan stats.

How is that even comparable? I want Jetta back into the team in the hope he finds a way back to his best but a few extra uncontested kicks on a wing hardly means the same thing as Duggan winning a hard ball.

Duggan is a work in progress but I thought today he showed plenty of heart in a side that was seriously lacking it.

OUT: Redden, Duggan, Nelson, Wellingham, Giles
IN: Hutchings, McGinnity, Ellis, Tunbridge, Jetta

How is that even comparable? I want Jetta back into the team in the hope he finds a way back to his best but a few extra uncontested kicks on a wing hardly means the same thing as Duggan winning a hard ball.

Duggan is a work in progress but I thought today he showed plenty of heart in a side that was seriously lacking it.

I don't care how much heart he show's, 8 possessions is what you want in a quarter of football from a midfielder not for a whole game. He's not playing fullback. I'll take any tin-man capable of 20 plus touches over Duggan, its just the reality of the positions he plays that you need to find significantly more footy than that be be contributing.

Is there a first or 2nd year player in the AFL who is worse at finding the footy than this kid? I've got no interest in potting him for the sake of it, I want to be a fan because when he has the ball in hand he has ability and the team desperately needs to make a success of its midfield projects but basically every time he takes the field I grow less confident he'll make it at AFL level. Something just seems wrong with this picture, to be successful as a mid you need to get possessions and he's 25 games into his career now and just doesn't seem to have figured that part out yet.

If he's fit, he's on the field, he's obviously talented and went at pick 11 in the draft so you tell me: why is he only getting 8 touches in 4 quarters of footy after a 3 week freshen up?

I don't care how much heart he show's, 8 possessions is what you want in a quarter of football from a midfielder not for a whole game. He's not playing fullback. I'll take any tin-man capable of 20 plus touches over Duggan, its just the reality of the positions he plays that you need to find significantly more footy than that be be contributing.

Is there a first or 2nd year player in the AFL who is worse at finding the footy than this kid? I've got no interest in potting him for the sake of it, I want to be a fan because when he has the ball in hand he has ability and the team desperately needs to make a success of its midfield projects but basically every time he takes the field I grow less confident he'll make it at AFL level. Something just seems wrong with this picture, to be successful as a mid you need to get possessions and he's 25 games into his career now and just doesn't seem to have figured that part out yet.

If he's fit, he's on the field, he's obviously talented and went at pick 11 in the draft so you tell me: why is he only getting 8 touches in 4 quarters of footy after a 3 week freshen up?

Good post.

Duggan's last two weeks in the WAFL he had 12 and 11 possessions.

OUT: Redden, Wellingham (if hurt), Giles
IN:Hutchings, Cole, NN (if ready).

Duggan and nelson to be given a second chance.

Most fans still don't realise the value of someone like a Hutchings, one poor game and out of the side.

Rarely factored is the intent and endeavour and unlike mcGinnity reliable foot skills.

These types of players are needed in every side as strong work ethic permeates the side.

I have said it a few times but I would rather a consistent and mostly reliable effort over a low possession flash in and out performance ala Yeo as an example.

Time to get the nelson and hutching types in the team because with the effort we can at least split the contest.

We are not a top 4 team.

Wellingham copping it on here btw, he is mostly reliable...

Clearly he's been well off his best this year. I just don't see what we achieve by dropping him again. The club obviously sees him as an important long-term prospect and so it makes sense to keep playing him at senior level.

Part of the problem is that when be finds himself at the bottom of packs, he hasn't yet developed the strength to break tackles. I'm personally confident that will come with time, especially considering he's already shown plenty of aggression and appetite for the contest.

The other problem is his ability to read the play. He's often hovering outside the pack waiting for it to be dished off but obviously isn't getting to the right spots. Again, I think this will improve but surely the way to do it is to leave him in the senior team so he can build chemistry and learn off the senior mids.

Considering your argument seems to be solely about possession count, it's worth noting that Yeo had only 11 touches at 36 per cent efficiency but seems to escape the same scrutiny.

Most fans still don't realise the value of someone like a Hutchings, one poor game and out of the side.

Rarely factored is the intent and endeavour and unlike mcGinnity reliable foot skills.

These types of players are needed in every side as strong work ethic permeates the side.

I have said it a few times but I would rather a consistent and mostly reliable effort over a low possession flash in and out performance ala Yeo as an example.

Time to get the nelson and hutching types in the team because with the effort we can at least split the contest.

We are not a top 4 team.

Hutchings didn't have just one poor game. His output has been low all year just like half of the players listed as outs today. He can't make up for it with silky skills either.

We are not a top 4 team.

Not sure Hutchings' footskills are really all that reliable. His problem for mine is that, like Redden, he's a slow decision-maker. That's why he gets caught HTB or ends up kicking to teammates under pressure so often. Shows good intent as you say but I can't remember the last time he had a big impact on a game since the Hawthorn QF last year.

He is about on par with Lachie Weller

Difference being Freo are selecting a side Ross thinks will net them a loss and we're trying to win finals. [Also Weller has value outside his football mediocrity, those apparent model good looks translate into increased female memberships. Well they hope.]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back