Preview Changes Freo V Dogs 20/9/20 Cazaly Stadium

You're probably right but Keath to Tabener, Gardner to Lobb and any of Cordy, Williams or Wood to Hogan would be balanced enough.
Wood is 185cm. Hogan would destroy him.

Mystified at the Garnder to be dropped calls. A classic case of first impressions of a footballer dogging their entire career. Deserves to hold his spot after the last couple of weeks.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I only made the Gardiner decision based on conditions. Nothing more in it.

6.10pm at Cairns = very slippery conditions. Also its expected to rain all week.

It's the type of conditions you can go small in the backline. Caleb will once again be crucial, his handling and kicking is so important in these type of games.

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Slightly of the topic of this game but still around selection. After the article on Gardner what is the line for us members and social media specifically Big footy. If we going to have a board that is based on facts and opinions when do opinions go to far.

I heard Gary Lyon and Matthew Lloyd on Fox and 9 call out Gardner as not up to AFL standard. So surely as long as negative comments are based on opinions on his selection on his football ability and not personal they are okay. I think most of us believe he should not be in the team and the same goes for Roarke and their selection is detrimental to us winning. The same goes for Billy Gowers but I now think the MC agrees with us on this one.

Scott Tracy

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think Fremantle are having a similar year to our 2018. Remember we had a rough first 18 rounds then we finished on a high winning 3 of our last 4 or something.
Crows last year had lost their last 3 games or something and just didn't give a s**t.
Fremantle are in good form and gonna be attacking hard so it'll definitely be harder.
I'm happy we're playing Sunday as we know what will be required.
For me Lipinksi comes in for Mclean and I hope Wood comes in I just don't know who Bevs gonna replace him with.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dogs finals campaign starts this week.

Need to play four quarters and get the job done.

I'm on the Dogs bandwagon. Can not be complacent.
All bandwagonners welcome mate. To be honest our finals started when we dropped the Geelong game. After that we were 7 elimination finals away from a flag.

West Coast Tick
Hawthorn Tick

5 to go.

doggy_dog

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Slightly of the topic of this game but still around selection. After the article on Gardner what is the line for us members and social media specifically Big footy. If we going to have a board that is based on facts and opinions when do opinions go to far.

I heard Gary Lyon and Matthew Lloyd on Fox and 9 call out Gardner as not up to AFL standard. So surely as long as negative comments are based on opinions on his selection on his football ability and not personal they are okay. I think most of us believe he should not be in the team and the same goes for Roarke and their selection is detrimental to us winning. The same goes for Billy Gowers but I now think the MC agrees with us on this one.
I haven’t read the article (paywall) but it sounded like people were direct messaging him with abuse about his performances. His GF unfollowed all Bulldogs social media accounts to avoid the nasty comments about him.

It comes down to how it’s delivered. There’s a big difference between “I don’t think he’s AFL ready at the moment” and “he’s a f*cking spud delist him now.”

For the record I thought his first couple of games this year weren’t up to scratch but I’ve been quite impressed with his improvement these last few weeks. I think a lot of people are biased against him atm and are just waiting for him to make a mistake

Proffessor

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For all those people suggesting dropping Suckling, I wonder if you have considered the impact of such action may be greater than you think.

We are a short kicking team, by general capability not just by choice. Smart opposition teams who have successfully shut us down in recent years have focused defensive attention on the few players in our side that can kick over the proverbial jam tin, Bont, JJ, and Suckling (before extended injury absence). Bailey Williams has been a welcome addition to the regularly selected longish kick crew.

If any of these players are well covered by their opponents, get hurt or just have an off day, then our opponents are able to focus more of their pressure around the ball and stifle our running handball game style quite effectively. They then also score against us easily on the rebound.

If Suckling is fit, we need him in the side.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Lyon and Lloyd should be ashamed of themselves, but can't expect much different from those two. Lyon especially has this burning hatred for the Dogs that becomes extremely obvious whenever he commentates any of our games.

I think it's fine if you want to criticize a player, but at least give substance to the feedback. And don't go onto the club socials and broadcast hateful comments. And especially don't direct message him.

It's fine to give rational, properly thought out opinions on players, but of course that's not what the article is about. Pretty disgraceful that there's been members doing this s**t

Not sure why people are calling for Roarke to be dropped. As basically a fringe player, he got 15 disposals and a goal. That is a very acceptable output for your 22nd player. He hits contests hard both on the ground and aerially, usually plays within himself and gives his all. I think he's developed into pretty decent depth at this point.
Bailey Dale, who would be the most likely candidate to replace him has only hit that mark (15d/1g) once this season himself.

Gardner was good enough on the weekend also. I personally don't think Cordy or Wood have been playing super well. They have been at about the level of Gardner's game on the weekend. I think as long as only 2 of them are selected that should be fine. Might be worth giving Wood an extra week rest.

Out: McLean
In: Lipinski

Oct 30, 2003
Kennel
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Match selection is critical against Freo. They need to be flexible and play a team that suits the conditions and be best 22 for the conditions.If not and we lose Bevo and MC will be responsible for blowing our chance in playing finals. I am very concern we blow our chances and if slippery or wet we need to play players who handle those conditions. if wet Cavara should come as well as Lipinski. Highly skilled players like Lipinski are important in slippery conditions.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A couple of sets of fresh legs won't go astray this week. A few of the boys looked pretty weary late in the game in the Adelaide sun and Cairns Sunday forecast is Max of 30 and overnight Min of 20.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would hate to see Roarke dropped, he was quite decent against the Hawks and actually hit a set shot that the majority of our players would inevitably have missed. Suckling offered nothing, hardly even saw him out there. If there's more than 1 change, I'd expect it to be Suckling coming out.

Anyone who thinks Gardner should be dropped knows nothing about footy.

Suckling stays too. Well said, Prof.
So just the one change for me - Wood for McLean and move a few magnets around.

I'm not even going to suggest Richards comes out this week. But then I know nothing about footy.

bullish23

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
If Suckers was a racehorse, the form would read, ’always ignore his first-up form’.

Its a conundrum from here though. Do we trust him to come good, but at the same time we can’t take risks from our perilous position. I admit I am doubting him now.

I hope that Bont continues to play like Nat Fyffe...his physicality and contested marking have really elevated Bont's game the last month or so. If Bont fires we win in Cairns.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I love suckers and what he's contributed. But his lack of a defensive mentality and his very questionable injury history is something we can ill afford.

Lets be real, when we suffer an injury or two the wheels often fall off. No doubt the lack of rotations (due to Toby) hurt us against Hawthorn and the Geelong game was basically snuffed out due to losing VDM and Wood.

I would replace him with Cavarra due to these reasons.

Back