Preview Changes Freo V Dogs 20/9/20 Cazaly Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

If Bont fires we win in Cairns.
Are you saying we are a one man team ?

Only joking Mutt, but i feel we need to say if they lock down player X (Bont), player Y (Daniel) and player Z (Johannisen) then it
is up to us to adjust the chess board and starting positions make sure those players are in motion and hit the contest at speed
to best utilize their assets in dangerous positions. Darcy/Lobb versus English/ ? perhaps we can take a learning off their tactic,
but we do have a greater group of inside leaning mids when in direct comparison with Fremantle.

Gave up suggesting it back in round 10.

Having said that, thought he was pretty decent on the weekend. Attacked the ball well and was a bit more active.
Agree with that. Promising signs so worth persevering.

Agree with that. Promising signs so worth persevering.
I've no doubt about him long term at all. I don't necessarily disagree with developing young players in the 1's at the team's expense sometimes, but there has to be a limit when we're still contending. I think round 10 was my limit, but it's good to see he might have turned the corner on the weekend.

He doesn't deserve to be dropped but Gardiner comes out for me (purely due to slippery conditions).

Ins
Wood, Cavarra, Dale

Outs
Gardiner, Suckling, McLean

R.Smith once again will survive.
yeah I would go these changes as well.

Gardner is Bevo's man crush atm, so doubt he will be dropped. He has done ok the last couple of weeks but team balance suggests Wood replaces him.

Think R. Smith is more than holding his own.

Not sure why we play Suckling as a half forward. Yeah he is a good kick, but you've gotta get it to be able to kick it and apply some defensive pressure. Time is up.

So many have been quick to write off Suckling and Dickson after one game. I agree Dickson's prospects don't look good but Suckling was a walk up start earlier in the year before injuring his achilles.

His lacklustre performance didn't matter against the Hawks but it was his first game at senior level for many weeks. He'll do better if he gets another start. If Freo copy Geelong and play the flood-and-pressure game so we can't get clean entries inside 50 you only need one or two good Suckling shots from 60m to swing the game. It's not just the scoring but the fact that it will force Freo to alter their approach to counter the threat of long range goals.

He kicked two very long goals in last week's scratch match so we know he's still capable.

If Freo plays Taberner, Lobb and Hogan then we’ll need height. No way I’d be dropping Gardner or Cordy.

If Wood is to come in I’d sent out suckers and push Williams, JJ or Caleb further up the ground.

So many have been quick to write off Suckling and Dickson after one game. I agree Dickson's prospects don't look good but Suckling was a walk up start earlier in the year before injuring his achilles.

His lacklustre performance didn't matter against the Hawks but it was his first game at senior level for many weeks. He'll do better if he gets another start. If Freo copy Geelong and play the flood-and-pressure game so we can't get clean entries inside 50 you only need one or two good Suckling shots from 60m to swing the game. It's not just the scoring but the fact that it will force Freo to alter their approach to counter the threat of long range goals.

He kicked two very long goals in last week's scratch match so we know he's still capable.
Suspect he will go, but if it’s wet his long kicking will be an asset. May be a factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People really advocating Wood, Gardner, Cordy and Keath in the same backline? :sick:

Taberner, Hogan and Lobb in Cairns plays straight into our Hands if they were to go that way, which I suspect they won’t. Keath, Cordy, Wood, Croz and Williams can handle them.

Whether Suckers is cooked or not I’m not sure, I suspect he’s not far off it I can’t remember a game he’s played this year that I actually thought he was really good tbh. But either way, is he gonna help us in a final? Probably not. Gotta go this week.

Cav, Wood and Lippy for McLean, Gardner and Suckers for mine.

Slightly of the topic of this game but still around selection. After the article on Gardner what is the line for us members and social media specifically Big footy. If we going to have a board that is based on facts and opinions when do opinions go to far.

I heard Gary Lyon and Matthew Lloyd on Fox and 9 call out Gardner as not up to AFL standard. So surely as long as negative comments are based on opinions on his selection on his football ability and not personal they are okay. I think most of us believe he should not be in the team and the same goes for Roarke and their selection is detrimental to us winning. The same goes for Billy Gowers but I now think the MC agrees with us on this one.
Comments and opinions on BF are fine so long as there not abusive. It’s a different thing entirely to be directly abusing players on their own social media feeds like Twitter or Facebook
We don’t need supporters like that

Match selection is critical against Freo. They need to be flexible and play a team that suits the conditions and be best 22 for the conditions.If not and we lose Bevo and MC will be responsible for blowing our chance in playing finals. I am very concern we blow our chances and if slippery or wet we need to play players who handle those conditions. if wet Cavara should come as well as Lipinski. Highly skilled players like Lipinski are important in slippery conditions.
I am sure MC know about the weather in Cairns

Comments and opinions on BF are fine so long as there not abusive. It’s a different thing entirely to be directly abusing players on their own social media feeds like Twitter or Facebook
We don’t need supporters like that

Problem is it's not just our supporters, any vile section of humanity on Twitter or FB chimes in to pile on. I just don't understand why they personally attack someone who is nothing to them, the opportunity to hurt is just too tempting for them. Have a look at comments when someone famous dies, it just blows my mind things people say.

Probably off torturing small animals when they're away from the keyboard.

Anyone who thinks Gardner should be dropped knows nothing about footy.

Suckling stays too. Well said, Prof.
So just the one change for me - Wood for McLean and move a few magnets around.

I'm not even going to suggest Richards comes out this week. But then I know nothing about footy.
Can I ask why they know nothing about footy? Are you happy to drop Cordy and/or keep Wood out of the side for a bloke who has had a couple of marks and a couple of kicks not to the opposition in 10 games of footy. Yes both Cordy and Wood make mistakes but both are premiership players with lots of experience. For team balance I am not sure you can have all in the backline, especially with the amount of left foot half back flankers that MC like to pick?

Anyone who thinks Gardner should be dropped knows nothing about footy.

Suckling stays too. Well said, Prof.
So just the one change for me - Wood for McLean and move a few magnets around.

I'm not even going to suggest Richards comes out this week. But then I know nothing about footy.

I know nothing about footy then. The only thing that he does he occasionally defends the high ball other that he adds nothing to the team. I just cannot see how he keeps Lewis Young out of the team. I see Young wanting out as he cannot get a game and keeping Gardner in 2021.
Talent wise they are poles apart in Young's favour, maybe Young does not work hard enough on the track. There must be some reason the MC prefers Gardner.

I know nothing about footy then. The only thing that he does he occasionally defends the high ball other that he adds nothing to the team. I just cannot see how he keeps Lewis Young out of the team. I see Young wanting out as he cannot get a game and keeping Gardner in 2021.
Talent wise they are poles apart in Young's favour, maybe Young does not work hard enough on the track. There must be some reason the MC prefers Gardner.

Gardner's last three games have been pretty good considering where he was at 6 weeks ago. He is improving and based on the last few games he deserves to keep his spot.

I have no idea why Young hasn't been given an opportunity since footy returned but I'd guess that he has asked for a trade. I will also say that when Young did play he was getting similar feedback to what Gardner is currently getting, not quite as intense but he certainly wasn't "loved" by everyone on here.

It's clear from Bevo's presser last week that Gardner will be on the list next year so we are going to have to get used to him being in the 22.

Can I ask why they know nothing about footy?
Certainly.
Of course they know something about footy.

"Anyone who <disagrees with me on whatever the topic is> clearly knows nothing about footy" is one of the most fatuous and irritating arguments on Big Footy (and believe me it has some serious competition!)

It's arrogant, dismissive, intimidatory and pre-emptively ad hominem which of course is no way to conduct a debate on its merits.

Sooner or later people will realise I'm taking the piss (probably later) but I'm hoping if I use it to introduce every statement of opinion I have about footy eventually it will be seen for the risible device that it is. You can all help by doing likewise!

Anybody who doesn't agree with this clearly knows nothing about Big Footy.

On a more serious note:
Are you happy to drop Cordy and/or keep Wood out of the side for a bloke who has had a couple of marks and a couple of kicks not to the opposition in 10 games of footy. Yes both Cordy and Wood make mistakes but both are premiership players with lots of experience. For team balance I am not sure you can have all in the backline, especially with the amount of left foot half back flankers that MC like to pick?

No I think there's a role for all three of Cordy, Wood and Gardner. It's probably academic anyway as I can't see MC dropping Gardner. My tip is they'll find room for all of them in the 22 this week, assuming Wood is 100% fit.

and a couple of kicks not to the opposition in 10 games of footy
I do want to make a point on Gardner's kicking though. His kicking has been great the last few matches.

Yes he fluffed one on the weekend that resulted in a goal to Hawthorn. Because everybody has this thing about him being a spud it gets highlighted to buggery. Why, at the same time, has almost nobody highlighted the five or six drilled passes from Bontempelli straight onto the chest of an opposition defender over the last couple of weeks? They weren't only blatant turnovers (sometimes not even under intense pressure) but they were wasted opportunities for a handful of goals. Now clearly Bont is a much much better player than Gardner but he seems to get a lot more leniency for a handful of stuff ups than Gardner does for one. Here's another example - Clangers on Sunday: Keath 3, Gardner 1. Who talks about Keath's clangers?

And this one - who has headed the team's 1%ers the last few weeks? Ryan Gardner of course. On Sunday he had 12. The next best were Keath and Crozier with 7 each. Cordy had only 3. Nobody (outside MC and his teammates) seems to take any notice of these but they are potentially goalsaving each time.

It reminds me of the joke about Stavros the goat f**ker. Gardner only has to make one error and it's talked about forever. Nobody remembers (or perhaps nobody wants to see?) the good things that he does.

He's no superstar but gee he gets a bad rap around here. Especially for a bloke who has only played 10 games and understandably is still finding his feet at the top level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back