Preview Changes Freo V Dogs 20/9/20 Cazaly Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll grant you that Gardner has significantly improved Dogwatch, however some of his supporters/defenders including yourself could also be accused of eulogising his recent performances a little too much. They haven't been that good.

It is possible for stats to look better than they really are, for instance some of the 1%ers Gardner would have been credited for on the stats sheet, I'd prefer he hadn't done. He still goes for some balls he probably shouldn't, where he fails to either mark or kill the ball, and occasionally takes out better positioned team mates, leaving us exposed when the ball hits the deck.

He had 5 kicks on Sunday, 2 were spoiled as they reached their intended target resulting in turnovers that ended up with shots on goal (1 goal 1 behind), 1 went directly to an opponent, and the remaining 2 were extremely short (but effective) passes, in fact one was so short that the resulting mark wasn't paid and it was called play on.

I wouldn't call that kicking exactly great.
Fair enough. I'm not really a fan of Gardner either but we have to get used to the idea of him being a regular.

What irks me a bit is the selective criticism of him that others seem to escape.
And then some of those same people will turn around and say when teams are published: "I have no idea why he keeps getting picked. Must have pictures of Bevo" etc etc.

If I seem to be eulogising him (not my intent) it's just me trying to point out there is a bit more to his game that some seem unwilling to see. MC obviously see enough to keep giving him games. I'm not sure yet how much they are basing his ongoing selection on potential and how much of it on demonstrated performance.

Fair enough. I'm not really a fan of Gardner either but we have to get used to the idea of him being a regular.

What irks me a bit is the selective criticism of him that others seem to escape.
And then some of those same people will turn around and say when teams are published: "I have no idea why he keeps getting picked. Must have pictures of Bevo" etc etc.

If I seem to be eulogising him (not my intent) it's just me trying to point out there is a bit more to his game that some seem unwilling to see. MC obviously see enough to keep giving him games. I'm not sure yet how much they are basing his ongoing selection on potential and how much of it on demonstrated performance.
Or maybe the selectors see him as better suited to the role they have in mind than Lewis Young - and even then we don’t know how much. Realistically who else is competing with him for his role? Perhaps we’ll find out whether they also rate him more than Cordy this week (I don’t but then again Cordy did have a few clangers on the weekend as well). Maybe him getting picked says more about our depth than him as a player.

Lynch has quite literally not made a bests list in the VFL or scratch matches for two years. You couldn't select him for AFL, he has to go.

You have to wonder what goes on with a player like that. I remember being at the last game of the year against Richmond in 2017 where he looked good, kicked a great goal, and then almost kicked the winner. Was it injuries, motivation, or did he just think that everything would just fall into place after that game?

You have to wonder what goes on with a player like that. I remember being at the last game of the year against Richmond in 2017 where he looked good, kicked a great goal, and then almost kicked the winner. Was it injuries, motivation, or did he just think that everything would just fall into place after that game?
Just watched the highlights of that game. Three of the most prominent figures for us were Lynch, GReene and Gowers... who would've thought

I'd be interested to hear some insights regarding Brad Lynch if you have any Philthy1, he impressed me in his appearances at senior level, but clearly fell out of favour for reasons other than form.

His treatment is essentially the opposite of Roarke Smith, Lachie Young and Ryan Gardner, who have all really struggled at senior level but have continued to receive a comparatively unwarranted level of opportunity.
I spoke to him at the Social Club Xmas Party last year. I asked why he hadn't played and he mentioned something about off field issues. I had also heard Chris Grant mention in the media prior to last season that he was coming from "a fair way back". I can't see him being on the list after this year.

It's a shame as he is super talented, seems like he won't be able to realise his potential as an AFL player.

Last edited:
Mitch Crowden versus Caleb Daniel
Reece Conca versus Bailey Smith
Nat Fyfe versus Marcus Bontempelli (head to head)

On the cards given our recent form, Cerra and Brayshaw could be dangerous if they can shift the volume of ball outside.

Two things can be true.
Gardner has improved significantly and Gardner is still not up to the level required.
Hopefully he can continue to improve.
Anyone who thinks that Gardner is already up to the standard required clearly knows nothing about footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I spoke to him at the Social Club Xmas Party last year. I asked why he hadn't played and he mentioned something about off field issues. I had also heard Chris Grant mention in the media prior to last season that he was coming from "a fair way back". I can't see him being on the list after this year.

It's a shame as he is super talented, seems like he won't be able to realise his potential as an AFL player.
don't mean to be rude but I call Bull as if a player gonna say there not in the team because of off field issues simply down to injured and better players in the 22

don't mean to be rude but I call Bull as if a player gonna say there not in the team because of off field issues simply down to injured and better players in the 22
not at all, I absolutely agree with you. It doesn’t matter what the reason is, the fact is he is not best 22. And that he can’t get a game and is out of contract is a bad sign for him.

That he could / should / would have been a best 22 player is a moot point.

not at all, I absolutely agree with you. It doesn’t matter what the reason is, the fact is he is not best 22. And that he can’t get a game and is out of contract is a bad sign for him.

That he could / should / would have been a best 22 player is a moot point.
did he really say to you that it about his off field issues though?

did he really say to you that it about his off field issues though?
verbatim he said to me "I've had some off-field issues". I didn't think it appropriate to ask about whatever it was. That was his response to my question about why he wasn't playing, because he hadn't played VFL much last year either.

Last edited:
verbatim he said to me "I've had some off-field issues". I didn't think it appropriate to ask about whatever it was. That was his response to my question about why he wasn't playing, because he hadn't played VFL much last year either.
ok thanks mate my knowledge was that he was injured for most of the season

Mitch Crowden versus Caleb Daniel
Reece Conca versus Bailey Smith
Nat Fyfe versus Marcus Bontempelli (head to head)

On the cards given our recent form, Cerra and Brayshaw could be dangerous if they can shift the volume of ball outside.

Nice match-ups. Goes without saying, Daniel is important to stop.
Should be a good game, we'll throw the kitchen sink at you, but I think you'll prevail in the end.
If you make it, good luck in the finals!
Smash west coast in the first one, and then it might be deja vu

Nice match-ups. Goes without saying, Daniel is important to stop.
Should be a good game, we'll throw the kitchen sink at you, but I think you'll prevail in the end.
If you make it, good luck in the finals!
Smash west coast in the first one, and then it might be deja vu
Thanks, should be a good game the disposals matrix is quite similar.

Fremantle: 7-6-5-4
Western Bulldogs: 7-4-4-6-1

Very similar, without listing the names of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back