Preview Changes Freo V Dogs 20/9/20 Cazaly Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll miss McLean. Lipinski will contribute more than Suckling did last week but he's no Toby. Hope he'll be able to elevate his game a notch after the absence.

Nine defenders is interesting. JJ on a wing makes sense but somebody else will probably push up as well at times (maybe they'll take turns?) - Cordy? Duryea? Daniel?

As expected. Do not like it personally. Probably the tallest team we’ve played all year in a night game in Cairns. Cordy, Gardner, Keath and Wood in the same backline, completely stifling our run and drive ie our best strength. No room for versatility considering all of them bar Cordy can only defense.

thank * Walters is out he would have had a field day

Something has to give with all the half-backs we're playing but can easily see Crozier or Daniel playing across a win/half forward.

Daniel swinging up the ground early might be a strategy because they'll almost send someone like Mitch Crowden to forward tag Daniel.

Hunter starts centre bounces on the wing but seems to be filling more of a high half-forward role. Doesn't get deep in D50 and moves the ball a lot in F50 (he is actually 3rd in the comp for average score involvements per game). Notice hhe

Matchups of the selected 22...

Games
FR: 1899 (86)
WB: 2059 (94)

WB: 25.19

Height
FR: 188cm
WB: 188cm

Other Cairns games in 2020…

Scoring
Left of Screen: 29.32 (61 Scores)
Right of Screen: 14.17 (31 Scores)

Goal Accuracy
Shots: 110
Goals: 43
Behinds: 42
No Score: 25

Accuracy: 39.1% (League Average: 46.6%)

How did you get to 12? Did you count Naughton, Richards and Roarke?
Yeah, they are natural defenders and that is where they play their best footy. Naughton included, would by AA when fit as a key defender, still a way to go for an AA as a forward. Richards and Roarke are both more comfortable in back half and Roarke could play an intercept marking role.

Lipinski replacing McLean was the obvious one.

Surprised Wood came in to replace Suckling. Johannisen played a more advanced role last year with Duryea coming back. Someone else is going to have to play further up the ground this week, not sure who it will be. Crozier, Williams and Daniel have been so good in their roles all year and I would prefer they stay where they are. Maybe Duryea? He played forward pocket a little in his last couple of years at Hawthorn, not with great success but could be an option. Think I would've preferred that they just chose two of Wood, Gardner and Cordy and kept they same structure that has worked more times than not this year. Would've been harsh to whoever missed out but just not sure the mix will be right. Will be happy to be proven wrong though.

Predicting Cordy forward. It's been the move when we've had too many defenders a few times over the years. Maybe trying to stretch their already undersized defence?

Could be. Maybe a defensive role on Luke Ryan, who is having a massive year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wood can play on a tall or small. Played on Charlie Cameron and beat him. Plays his best when doesn’t have to play on a big bloke and can attack.

Freo have 3 huge forwards who all have serious ability, so I understand having 3 genuine KPD in the team.

In saying that, one of our smaller defenders is definitely going to have to be moved out of defence unless Bevo is planning to play a spare behind the footy.

This was posted by KnightMare. I just thrown up in my mouth a little

For the Dogs to use them as the example as they're the team I'm proposing this concept for as my view is they have the personnel to execute it.

I'd be using Naughton and English on either wing. Hunter I'd personally use off half-back, and I'm not convinced he would be much if any less effective. If that clearly didn't work, I'd push him across half-forward. And ultimately he could be used in either spot depending on where the need is greater, and I feel like he'd still be effective.

Then deeper in the front half I'd be using JUH once drafted. With JUH surrounded by smalls and mediums. With a view towards recruiting a genuine number one ruck.

In the meantime Schache and Trengove would probably be forced while suboptimal to be the key forward and ruckman respectively, had this setup been used this year.

Bruce I'd personally be looking to switch to be a key defender as he has the 1v1 strength, height but most importantly reads it well enough and is a strong contested mark which suggests to me as with the likes of Josh Walker and Liam Jones among others to make that transition, Bruce could similarly carve out a role for himself, and prove an upgrade for the Dogs.
What a steaming pile of s**t that was from NightMare. Seriously?

Do people not realise Daniel pretty much played half forward for the last quarter of last game? With how dominant he's been last two weeks (a level above even the good season he's had before that), Freo almost certainly put a forward tag on him.

He can't have kicked the goal that he did last week if was playing the same role that allowed him to get 15 kicks or whatever the obscene number it was he got in the first half of last week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back