Preview "Changes" ft. * Essendon vs Geelong Rd 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeez, shattered for Nev, plenty of other players have had worse runs of form and kept their spot, and he's axed the same day he cops a racist jab on Twitter.

Nice of the club to put a message of support for Nev out 3 hours before posting the changes.

So from last week...

* Lockhart replaces Jetta
* Hibberd hopefully allows Harmes to spend more time in the middle/forward (replacing Bennell)

All other changes are the same as the side named to play Essendon
If that is what is going to happen I'm all for it. Harmes playing back is stupid. Tough on Nev though, didn't think he did anything wrong. Still think the forward line is unbalanced without another tall e.g. Weid or Brown

I think Brayshaw better have a good game, get the feeling he is being looked at next in the “surprising drops” category.

Jeez we'd want to be winning games because I reckon not selecting Jetta, Jones, dropping Hibberd for Rd 2, wouldn't be great for the culture.

You've gotta respect blokes who have credit in the bank.

That being said, maybe the ruthlessness is what we've been lacking

Jeez we'd want to be winning games because I reckon not selecting Jetta, Jones, dropping Hibberd for Rd 2, wouldn't be great for the culture.

You've gotta respect blokes who have credit in the bank.

That being said, maybe the ruthlessness is what we've been lacking
I'd take the counter view that continuing to pick players who aren't performing because they have credits in the back is far worse for culture and morale. Not much can cause unrest quicker than players being gifted games that aren't delivering and need to be carried.

My eyebrows were sufficiently raised when I saw the final teams, but with a near full list to pick from, you've gotta respect the ruthlessness of it all.

Surprised Nev got dropped. Interesting both Lockhart and Hibberd are ahead of him. I really like Lockhart though. Wouldn’t have minded an extra tall up forward.

With all the new players coming into the side this year it’s almost like a bit of a rebuild on the run.

Being ruthless with selection is good (think dropping Jones is the correct call), unfortunately our lack of depth in key positions means May, Lever and TMac can all get away with being pretty shite as we have limited options to take their places. Granted not many teams have quality key position players in reserve, but ours seem particularly dire.

Pretty harsh on Nev although Lockhart shouldn't have been dropped in the first place IMO. Hibbo must perform.

Jeez, shattered for Nev, plenty of other players have had worse runs of form and kept their spot, and he's axed the same day he cops a racist jab on Twitter.

Nice of the club to put a message of support for Nev out 3 hours before posting the changes.
I'm gonna be honest I'm not upset our match committee isn't run by our social media team.

Being ruthless with selection is good (think dropping Jones is the correct call), unfortunately our lack of depth in key positions means May, Lever and TMac can all get away with being pretty sh*te as we have limited options to take their places. Granted not many teams have quality key position players in reserve, but ours seem particularly dire.

Pretty harsh on Nev although Lockhart shouldn't have been dropped in the first place IMO. Hibbo must perform.
I think you’ll find Lockhart was injured rather than dropped, this why he’s retaking his place.

I love nev, but Father Time I fear has caught him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not totally shocked by the nev call, he doesn't add anything in rebound so if they think his one on one defending is suffering then I guess pull the trigger? Then again I hadn't noticed anything.
But they bring back Hibberd who isn't as good as a one on one defender and other than the meaningless metres gained stat just kicks the ball long to the opposition.

Either way 12 changes in 2 weeks isn't going to help the team chemistry

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

But they bring back Hibberd who isn't as good as a one on one defender and other than the meaningless metres gained stat just kicks the ball long to the opposition.

Either way 12 changes in 2 weeks isn't going to help the team chemistry

12 changes in 13 weeks. What possible chemistry can we get in a season this disrupted? Round 1 was in March, it is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Jeez guys it's one game. Relax. The team is effectively the same picked as vs Essendon, bar Jetta and Bennell. We have 40 to pick from who are fit. Just because a player is dropped doesn't mean they're having a line ruled through them.

We will see a lot of rotations over next 4 to 5 weeks. Look at GWS last night, 2 soft tissue injuries after having Kelly and Greene injured leading up to the prior match too. I much prefer they rotate them around to build form/fitness and keep the squad healthy (as long as we win of course) but the hysterics over changes is ridiculous. It really is.

Yeah, we were awful for 60% of our last game and most of the changes are pretty fair. Jackson and Jones did stuff all, Harley was always gonna need some management. ANB got a couple of snags but did nothing else, and with better forwards coming back makes way.

Don't agree with the Nev call. He hasn't been in great form, but I feel that's as much down to our setup where he was left one out on McKay, McGovern etc.

12 changes in 13 weeks. What possible chemistry can we get in a season this disrupted? Round 1 was in March, it is irrelevant.
I guess making on average 6 changes a week is normal then

Crazy Goody in the house? Or genius? I'm probably in the crazy Goody camp, but I have no problem having players fight for their spots. Most of our team, including Nev has been ordinary for well over 12 months. I would have backed him against a dangerous team like Geelong, but let's see how we go before sticking in the knives.

Man, we look so far off it , with the gameplay and the changes, feeling like we're behind a lot of teams now.

This season is a bit of a goof though tbh, so hopefully we can settle on a side by the end of the year.

Hope Nev can find his way back in too, love Nev.

Crazy Goody in the house? Or genius? I'm probably in the crazy Goody camp, but I have no problem having players fight for their spots. Most of our team, including Nev has been ordinary for well over 12 months. I would have backed him against a dangerous team like Geelong, but let's see how we go before sticking in the knives.
Bingo. I reckon we will give Geelong a bit of a slapdown. No idea why as we've been their bitch for a decade now bar 2 games, but I think we have a team named that is faster, harder and unpredictable.

I'm gonna be honest I'm not upset our match committee isn't run by our social media team.
Yeah of course, I do genuinely feel for the bloke though.

That said, I'm not sure how much faith I have in a match committee that give Joel Smith a game over Nev.

Who cares anyway, we'll win by 100 goals.

Last time we beat Geelong Nev was at the height of his powers, beating Danger one out in defensive 50 again and again and again.

Will be interesting to see who goes to him on Sunday when he drifts forward. I guess Hibberd but I'm not confident at all unless 2017 Hibberd comes to play

I guess making on average 6 changes a week is normal then

What do you mean? The team has played two games in three months. There is nothing normal about any of this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back