Opinion Changes GWS V Bulldogs Saturday 18/6/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Since when has a recently turned 22yo ever been at their peak aerobically? Come on seriously, obviously he’s coming from a long way back and he will never be an aerobic beast but of course he will keep improving, he’s not at his limit 😂

On the weekend especially maybe due to being behind early, we choose just to go to Naughton. Khamis made some great positioning at times and we completely ignored him. He gets another week for mind as long as we bring in another tall for support

Out: Duryea, Smith
In: Crozier, Schache/Sweet

I agree, I keep seeing ‘when he builds his tank’. He has had 4 AFL pre-seasons. Some players have a genetic limit to their aerobic capacity and I can’t see it tangibly improving after so many seasons. It’s more or less at its limit now.

You might be right but he came from a long way back.

It would be typical of this year for bloody GWS to put the nail in the coffin. I don’t think we’re playing finals but a loss in this game will make it all but certain.

I’d have support for Naughton in as a priority - don’t care who. Would prefer Sweet in and use English more forward but that doesn’t appear likely so just anyone else really.

Otherwise I’d drop McComb and one of McNeil/Scott but the cupboard is fairly bare if JJ isn’t quite fit and Jones isn’t ready yet. Maybe Cleary and Wallis in, and move Caleb to a wing/forward role.

Caleb to the wing or half forward makes sense. Use his pinpoint kicking into the forward line. With both Caleb and Dale attempting too many ‘perfect’ kicks deep in the backline, much to the detriment of my undies.

Schache in for Buku. A leading Schache to a laces-out Caleb would be a breath of fresh air compared to the usual long ball of top of Naugton’s head. I rate Schache and think Bevo drops him too frequently.

Buku has to go. Schache get 1 chance and gets dropped every time. Better target up forward and can give a chop out in the ruck.
Mccomb scott McNeil all to go aswell.
Wallis JJ crozier in.
Crozier back daniel to play higher and get ball use going inside 50.

I like Schache too, but I think it’s more what he could be rather than what he is. I do have memories of several “one arm wafting gently as the ball sails by in a contest” type situations. But that said he’s a good kick at goal and can take a mark on the wing if he gets up and down the ground. Worth a try as we need a functional tall in the forward line asap.

The fact that we haven’t played Schache points to he won’t be at WO next year.

I would have played Schache a lot more than what he has been played and I would have settled him in as a forward but that hasn’t happened and won’t and I fully expect he will be somewhere else next year.

I would have played Schache a lot more than what he has been played and I would have settled him in as a forward but that hasn’t happened and won’t and I fully expect he will be somewhere else next year.
More room for a in-and-under battler type from Footscray, approx 178cms tall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OUT Smith McComb Scott/Buku

IN Sweet Schache JUH

Get Naughton and English some support . Allows English spend time in forward line.

This for me too although I would keep Buku in.

Was pleased to see Johannisen get some time at Footscray but would give him another week at least.

It’s a broken record for me on this - Beveridge will never learn - but I was really annoyed at Beveridge for dropping Sweet last week.

Sweet simply needs continuity and gets dropped at the first slightly ordinary game.

Plenty of players have had ordinary games and been given multiple chances, a ruckman has one ordinary game and Beveridge cannot drop him quickly enough.

He really does drive me crazy at times.

Maybe, but he's had plenty of chances over the journey. Hell he was given a golden opportunity in round 1 and had an absolute stinker. It's not like he's been dominating vfl consistently either.

I still hold hope but it's definitely not the coaches who are to blame for him not making it thus far.

Maybe, but he's had plenty of chances over the journey. Hell he was given a golden opportunity in round 1 and had an absolute stinker. It's not like he's been dominating vfl consistently either.

I still hold hope but it's definitely not the coaches who are to blame for him not making it thus far.
Training all pre season as a key defender to then be played on a wing opposed to Langdon is not what I’d call a golden opportunity.

Yes and No

He’s been dropped many times after 1 game in the seniors when he came in after a decent spell in the VFL. No time to adjust

Plenty others have been in the same boat but have been allowed to play in seniors.

His best spell was last year towards end of season when we seemed to allow him to have some continuity that arose from necessity.

He has played in games where he has been in the ruck, a forward, a back and a winger all in the space of a half.

Not sure if that helps a player or not.

Where does he train during preseason? Forward ruck or back?

Not sure if Bev every rated him and gave him a decent chance especially when he was apparently picked by others to come to the club and not Bev (i could be wrong and Bev was all for him to come )

I doubt it will happen, though I'm with King on First Crack. Fix the backline, where we badly need an intercept marker. Crozier is the best we have now Wood has retired, though Naughton would be one of the best in the competition if he played there. Not sure why Crozier is not playing ... maybe it is his disposal.

I'd go:
In: Schache, JUH, Wallis and JJ (all play Forward) ... Naughton to CHB. Hopefully Juice is ready in a few weeks.
Out: O'Brien/Gardner, McNeil, Buku and McComb

Out: Smith (susp), Buku, Scott, McComb

In: Crozier, Schache/JUH, JJ Wallis

Smith is unavailable, Buku has done well but needs to take what he has learned and go back for a few games and apply then come back in.

We had more inside 50s but could not convert so need help for Naughty. Bringing in two talls could wreck cohesion - but I like three tall forwards and when Bruce is back - the best of the two will stay, so each or both needs to play.

JUH was getting in Naughty’s way before and had to learn to adjust his runs so will depend on training. He was good the week before and even this week should have had 4 if he could have just held on to them - in every game he puts himself into the right places to kick 3 plus - he is coming and will play in the coming weeks if he keeps this up.

Schache is starting to play to his strengths - long runs and kicking from outside 50. This spreads the defence and congestion. I like it.

Wallis is just better than McComb - surely. Simple as that. JJ is better than Scott - we need our best players on the park. Could be JUH instead of Wallis also - a better balance of talls v smalls and allows better rotations with McNeil.

García will need a few weeks in the twos but will also return when he is match fit - McClean as well.

Must be tempting to give Bedendo his debut on the wing but would move Daniel to the wing - he is an all Australian but really effected by the Dale - Richards combo.

Crozier has done everything asked of him, is back in solid form and brings that defensive marking we need.

Kingy talks about our defence but which players were most responsible for the Geelong burst? and what choices do we have - Crozier is courageous and experienced so only logical add but not sure that fixes it. Giants will go three talls as usual. And TOB and Gardner are struggling but we don’t have better options. Unless we bring back Cordy - I rate him but not sure he is the answer.

Line up:

Wallis/JUH Naughty Weightman

JJ Schache West

Williams Macrae Daniel
English Bont Libba

Richards Keath Dale
Duryea Gardner TOB

Trelor, Dunkley, Crozier, McNeil/Wallis

I doubt it will happen, though I'm with King on First Crack. Fix the backline, where we badly need an intercept marker. Crozier is the best we have now Wood has retired, though Naughton would be one of the best in the competition if he played there. Not sure why Crozier is not playing ... maybe it is his disposal.

I'd go:
In: Schache, JUH, Wallis and JJ (all play Forward) ... Naughton to CHB. Hopefully Juice is ready in a few weeks.
Out: O'Brien/Gardner, McNeil, Buku and McComb
I don’t think intercepting is our issue in the backline. We have too many players that cannot defend 1 v 1 in our backline is the first issue. We have a complete lack of faith in our key position defenders, just watch how often our medium size defenders fly third and fourth man up in contests leaving their opponent an easy ground ball.

When you look at intercepting Richards and O’Brien are very capable of intercepting, Keath has done it in the past and you could add Dale into that mix too.

Also Naughton needs support not going back to the backline. 47 goals last year including finals. Is on track for 50 plus this year without finals. That is as a 22 year old that for the entirety of the season has been offered no forward support that actually takes the attention off him.

Out: Gardner, Smith
In: Schache, Crozier

Crozier looked like the Crozier of old in the vfl and comes in for Gardner who, lets face it, we have kittens about every time the ball goes inside 50. GWS don't have a tall forward line anymore.

Reward Schache's form. His kicking for goal was next level. We know what we get, including some help for Naughton and a chop out for English.

Khamis gets another crack. He still provides a point of difference as opposed to Naughts plus mosquito fleet. He can also go back.

Don't think we drop any mids with Smith out.

I'd also give Crozier a full game and move Doc to the sub. He's been great but Richards is ahead of him now. Wallis comes into starting 22 to provide some blocks for Naughton.

B: Crozier Keath Richards
HB: Daniel O'brien Dale
C: Williams Dunkley Scott
HF: Liberatore Naughton Treloar
F: Khamis Schache Weightman
FOL: English Bontempelli Macrae
Int: McNeill McComb West Wallis
Sub: Duryea

Who knows, but I’ll bet GWS will running with Flynn and Preuss.

Daniel moved out of the backline and Crozier brought in. We just can't carry Caleb down there at the moment.
Really disappointed with his season. A far cry from his AA season, he's a genuine liability now. Dale seems to have gone ahead as the designated playmaker in the backline and rightly so. Richards fast approaching too.

If we were forced to lose one player from our out of contract stars, it would be him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back