Opinion Changes GWS V Bulldogs Saturday 18/6/22

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Our best structured team is probably the one currently picked but Bruce replacing Schache. I wonder if the club is comfortable with Bruce taking the backup ruck duties following his ACL? Otherwise we'd then need to see Schache remain at the expense of Jamarra.
Jarrod Witts is doing well as a full time ruck after doing his ACL last year but yes it'll be up to Schach or Marra to battle for the 3rd tall

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Then it’s either JUH or Schache out unless….

You below to the Naughton to CHB crowd and then you could drop OBrien IF Schache & JUH are going well. Having Naughton and Keith intercepting at CHB would be a weapon…. (Although I want him forward, as I don’t think both Scahche and JUH will fire).
Naughton has kicked 30 goals this year our next highest is Weightman a medium/small with 16 why would you cripple our attack for that when Sweet offers nothing up forward?

Our best structured team is probably the one currently picked but Bruce replacing Schache. I wonder if the club is comfortable with Bruce taking the backup ruck duties following his ACL? Otherwise we'd then need to see Schache remain at the expense of Jamarra.
Our club err...Bevo couldn't give two shits who plays as backup ruck.

If English is elsewhere on or off the ground anybody in the vicinity will suffice.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Naughton has kicked 30 goals this year our next highest is Weightman a medium/small with 16 why would you cripple our attack for that when Sweet offers nothing up forward?

I was referring to the Bruce return…. IF Scahche and JUH are firing, adding Bruce has to be at someone’s expense.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Which teams play 3 tall defenders, 3 tall forward and 2 genuine rucks?
Was talking more front half talls, as I said I’d be happy to drop a tall defender in that situation as we’d have flexibility with say English/Sweet dropping back in the hole or if really necessary Schache or worst case Naughty moving back.

So in that situation we’d have 3 front half talls and two rucks. Sweet would spend 60% in ruck, 10-15% forward or back if necessary but mostly bench - English 40% ruck, 50-55% ahead or behind the ball.

Up front you’ve got Naughty & Jamarra deep, Naughty is genuinely elite for a small at ground level pressure so barely counts and Jamarra is close when he wants but obvs needs higher tank and more consistency. Schache barely a tall more of a very high forward flank getting up and down the ground - at any one time you only have 2 key forwards and 1 ruck in the front half of the ground whilst the others are on the bench or sitting behind the ball.

Easy to accomodate 3 talls in your front half.

Similar teams off top of my head would be -

Saints - King, Membrey, Sharman/Wood, Ryder, Marshall, Wilkie, Howard, Battle

Carlton - Curnow, McKay, Silvagni, De Koning, Pittonet - backline who knows or cares some mixture of Weitering, Marchbank, Young, McDonald

Melbourne - Brown, McDonald/Weidemann/M Brown, Fritsch, Gawn, Jackson, Petty, Lever, May, Tomlinson sometimes

Richmond - usually go the Nank/Soldo combo with some combination of Riewoldt, Lynch & Balta up forward depending on injuries and always have the talls down back

Freo have gone with both Darcy, Meek with the likes of Tabs, Lobb, Logue etc

I’m sure there’s more getting around with very similar amounts of talls it’s not really unheard of.

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Was talking more front half talls, as I said I’d be happy to drop a tall defender in that situation as we’d have flexibility with say English/Sweet dropping back in the hole or if really necessary Schache or worst case Naughty moving back.

So in that situation we’d have 3 front half talls and two rucks. Sweet would spend 60% in ruck, 10-15% forward or back if necessary but mostly bench - English 40% ruck, 50-55% ahead or behind the ball.

Up front you’ve got Naughty & Jamarra deep, Naughty is genuinely elite for a small at ground level pressure so barely counts and Jamarra is close when he wants but obvs needs higher tank and more consistency. Schache barely a tall more of a very high forward flank getting up and down the ground - at any one time you only have 2 key forwards and 1 ruck in the front half of the ground whilst the others are on the bench or sitting behind the ball.

Easy to accomodate 3 talls in your front half.

Similar teams off top of my head would be -

Saints - King, Membrey, Sharman/Wood, Ryder, Marshall, Wilkie, Howard, Battle

Carlton - Curnow, McKay, Silvagni, De Koning, Pittonet - backline who knows or cares some mixture of Weitering, Marchbank, Young, McDonald

Melbourne - Brown, McDonald/Weidemann/M Brown, Fritsch, Gawn, Jackson, Petty, Lever, May, Tomlinson sometimes

Richmond - usually go the Nank/Soldo combo with some combination of Riewoldt, Lynch & Balta up forward depending on injuries and always have the talls down back

Freo have gone with both Darcy, Meek with the likes of Tabs, Lobb, Logue etc

I’m sure there’s more getting around with very similar amounts of talls it’s not really unheard of.
Membery/Wood/Wilkie aren't talls their mediums who play taller

Carlton were playing 3 tall forwards and 2 defenders 2 rucks so same mix different set up

Fritsch see saints and they play 2 tall forward 3 KPD and 2 ruck so again same as what we have

Richmond dropped Soldo this week for a reason with Lynch back so again wrong

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
okay dickhead great post, except you’re wrong

According to who? Our awesome results with this structure?

Such a ******* flog with genuinely nfi
I have no idea? you just called Bailey Fritsch a key position player

Also we have better results with Cleary in the team jeeez get him back in now

Disagree, that would be way too tall. There's no reason we need 3 tall defenders, 3 tall forwards and 2 rucks. If you want to bring Sweet in, then it would be at the expense of Schache or JUH.

The structure this week looks right to me.

Nothing wrong with 3 tall defenders, most clubs at a minimum should have at least 2 tall forwards and a resting ruck down there. We only have 2 anyway, wouldnt class O’Brien as a tall but it’s borderline.

3 tall forwards plus a possible resting ruck can be an issue, but not if rotations are smart. I’d keep Sweet’s TOG low anyway, if selected he’s more to chop out for English and he can also rotate around with JUH who still has a low tank. I think we are good enough to sacrifice 1 “runner” to not getting completely overwhelmed out of the ruck for 5-10 minutes of each quarter.

Based on these selections, at least Schache has improved with his ruck work and is better in there than Cordy is (unless Cordybis jumping over the top).

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I probably wouldn’t go with the 2 ruck, 3KPFs, 3 KPD structure that some are suggesting, but the recent Geelong game was the worst pressure rating we have had since 2018 and we went in super small.

Maybe an outlier or maybe it isn’t that big of a difference. First and foremost though should always be the priority on how we structure up across the park.

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I probably wouldn’t go with the 2 ruck, 3KPFs, 3 KPD structure that some are suggesting, but the recent Geelong game was the worst pressure rating we have had since 2018 and we went in super small.

Maybe an outlier or maybe it isn’t that big of a difference. First and foremost though should always be the priority on how we structure up across the park.
Our midfield was one of the major issues in the game absolutely no pressure early, They seem to get too sucked into the names on paper and just expect to dominate without doing the hard work

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I have no idea? you just called Bailey Fritsch a key position player

Also we have better results with Cleary in the team jeeez get him back in now
you do realise Fritsch offers less tackles and less pressure acts per week than both Naughty & Jamarra, sorry he doesn’t have an extra 2cm to be counted as a tall for you - who plays taller Fritsch or Macrae?

You’re so bloody simple minded it’s unreal - obviously there’s degrees of sizes and play styles in there. Schache for example may be 199cm but I don’t classify him as a tall or thinks he plays tall at all. Jamarra & Buku have the exact same skillset and roles in our system but two completely different heights - would it be okay to have another tall if Buku was in instead of Jamarra?

Oct 4, 2004
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MAN U/BROOKLYN NETS

The biggest disappointment for me in the Geelong game was when we worked our way back into it Buku went into the ruck and cats went bang bang.

I would love to know the amount of time Buku has spent in the ruck at training with the midfielders that were in there for those centre bounces. (maybe I don't want to know)

Buku in the ruck was amateur hour

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
you do realise Fritsch offers less tackles and less pressure acts per week than both Naughty & Jamarra, sorry he doesn’t have an extra 2cm to be counted as a tall for you - who plays taller Fritsch or Macrae?

You’re so bloody simple minded it’s unreal - obviously there’s degrees of sizes and play styles in there. Schache for example may be 199cm but I don’t classify him as a tall or thinks he plays tall at all. Jamarra & Buku have the exact same skillset and roles in our system but two completely different heights - would it be okay to have another tall if Buku was in instead of Jamarra?
You really enjoy going on various rants with no substance don't you. The height isn't the issue it's the body weight and how they move around the ground and their overall athleticism. Fritsch is 84kg KPP i.e the ones we have named are mid 90s+. Buku is 10cm and 7kg lighter then Jamarra and is once again a medium, He has an insane vertical leap hence they tried him as a key and 2nd ruck.

doggiesin08

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bushrangers
You really enjoy going on various rants with no substance don't you. The height isn't the issue it's the body weight and how they move around the ground and their overall athleticism. Fritsch is 84kg KPP i.e the ones we have named are mid 90s+. Buku is 10cm and 7kg lighter then Jamarra and is once again a medium, He has an insane vertical leap hence they tried him as a key and 2nd ruck.
Arguments without consensus are a waste of time. Should have just ended with disagreeing that playing Sweet would improve structure … substance schmub-stance.

I wish I knew of this construct back in 2008/2009. I would have stopped complaining about how we didn’t have a key forward and realised that Brad Johnson WAS a “front-half tall” (who was just small)

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The first of the must win games or we are out of the finals race with only a mathematically chance of making it. If anyone said at the start of the season the dogs will not make the 8 to quote a famous line I would have said "Tell em they're dreaming". Deja vu though would have said the same in 2017.

Looks like a number clubs with much weaker lists are going to make it. Ok we had a few injuries and kicked bad for goal in a number of games but no excuses other clubs have endured the same. The game that really shows something is not right was the crows loss.

The first of the must win games or we are out of the finals race with only a mathematically chance of making it. If anyone said at the start of the season the dogs will not make the 8 to quote a famous line I would have said "Tell em they're dreaming". Deja vu though would have said the same in 2017.

Looks like a number clubs with much weaker lists are going to make it. Ok we had a few injuries and kicked bad for goal in a number of games but no excuses other clubs have endured the same. The game that really shows something is not right was the crows loss.

Poor content to username correlation :sadv1:

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics

You seem to play the man a lot. Why is that?

doggiesin08

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bushrangers
At the risk of being hugely hypocritical

You seem to play the man a lot. Why is that?

I turn 15 this Sunday, hoping for a doggies win, an iPod and a glass bong!

42E84DD8-A015-4B3D-8CF9-6E3A109E68F4.jpeg

Proffessor

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Happy to see Jamarra and Schache back in although I'm a bit skeptical about how they will be employed and how well they will work together.

They naturally tend to play the same role which is tough to do in the same forward line.

McComb and Gardner are both very lucky to still be in the side. The continued preferential treatment of Bev's pet projects has been a serious problem for a while now and is a key reason for our team performing below expectations so far this season.

Gardner looks ok until we actually need a good defender to stand up, and McComb looks a physical and hard working 'likely type' of player but is also severely lacking in composure/self-confidence once he gets the ball. I understand the desire to develop these guys but the problem is that we have been doing it at the expense of better performed players and match results.

I'd replace them with Cordy and Wallis in a heartbeat.

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I think we have lost a minimum of 2 games due to selection alone. The non playing of Sweet and Schache and the playing of Bevo’s impotent favourites will cost us a finals place this year in my opinion.

Back