Preview Changes: Preliminary Final - IN: Sloane, Otten, Melts OUT: Smith, McGovern

Assuming McGovern misses through injury, who should come in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We had a very similar situatuon when we versed Richmond last time and did it easily.

Both teams are very beatable, even with Otten up forward.

(I should say - Geelong worries me more then those two. This is still the grand final in my book)
tenor.gif

In: Sloane, Hampton
Out: Smith, McGovern

Gives us plenty of flanker options, so we can rotate like crazy. I prefer Hampton's aggression than Milera at this point in the heat of a final.

B: Brown, Talia, Kelly
HB: Lever, Hartigan, Laird
C: Sloane, Mrouch, Atkins
HF: Lynch, Walker, Knight
F: Betts, Jenkins, Cameron
R: Jacobs, Douglas, Brouch
I: Seedsman, Greenwood, Mackay, Hampton

Who ever comes in will be looking to make an impact cause if the Gov is fit the week after (assuming we make it) you wouldnt want to lose ur spot. Puts more pressure on the other fringe players to perform as well.

I am slowly warming towards Hampton. He has now had the equivalent of 4 games back, and on the second had 20 touches and multiple forward entries (admittedly SANFL). He could allow Thor to go forward at times and play the Gov role. He can also run off half back and of course play Thor's role in the middle. His fitness is obviously building. Will be interesting!

I was also thinking of the possibility of rotating Thor in the forward line. Has the height and aggression we get with Gov and can also take a grab.

Well I think we can rule out Menzel, his name has been the only one not mentioned as a replacement.

If we go tall and slow it will be Otten.

If small we will go Milera, they love him and he's recently played. I feel Hampton hasn't played enough footy for them to risk it.

Milera could work, against Geelong you need good ball users who won't kick it to their defenders.

If he can't harden up for a final he never will.
From David Teague:
“We’ve got some options, Curtly Hampton is back up and playing and started the year really well, Wayne Milera has been really strong, Troy Menzel has kicked the most goals (in the SANFL) over the last few weeks and his pressure has been really good."

Otten is absolutely no chance we have all seen what happens with too many big slow blokes up front. In finals the pressure goes up even more - Don is a smart man. If you are thinking Otten then go watch the Hawks loss and slap yourself silly.

Milera, Hampton or Menzel are our choices. I think Milera but hard to split the 3.

If we can we need to give Greenwood a bit more time forward. Has that X factor, is a great mark and fantastic pressure almost at Gov standard.

Otten is absolutely no chance we have all seen what happens with too many big slow blokes up front. In finals the pressure goes up even more - Don is a smart man. If you are thinking Otten then go watch the Hawks loss and slap yourself silly.

Milera, Hampton or Menzel are our choices. I think Milera but hard to split the 3.

If we can we need to give Greenwood a bit more time forward. Has that X factor, is a great mark and fantastic pressure almost at Gov standard.
Exactly, playing Otten will make us susceptible to applying the pressure we need.

Hampton is the go & you can rotate him, Greenwood, Knight, CC, Sloane, etc forward at times to keep the pressure on the Cats defenders.

Exactly, playing Otten will make us susceptible to applying the pressure we need.

Hampton is the go & you can rotate him, Greenwood, Knight, CC, Sloane, etc forward at times to keep the pressure on the Cats defenders.

Otten is an interesting one. The alternative view point is that he requires a tall match up rather than allowing one of Mackie, lonergan or Henderson to sit in defence unchecked to pick off any kicks in.

Yeah, I think Hampton is the guy. Geelong and Adelaide are the top 2 contested footy teams in the AFL. It will be won and lost on contested footy. As good as I think Milera will be one day, we need to be making this decision on who brings the best contested footy game.

Otten is an interesting one. The alternative view point is that he requires a tall match up rather than allowing one of Mackie, lonergan or Henderson to sit in defence unchecked to pick off any kicks in.
No, we play a balanced side as we only looked susceptible when our team became unbalanced.

Yeah we tried that at their shithole earlier in the year. Otten was deplorable and we struggled to get any ground ball. We wont go that way again. McGovern is a special type of player that allows us to play all the tall forwards. You cant plug another slow big guy in for him and expect it to work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Menzel please, I just have a feeling. The guy has it, he has shown it before at Carlton.

Friday is Troy Menzel's birthday, he turns 23.
Does that mean he will not be available this week?

Out on the turps?

My gut feel is Hampton first choice, then Menzel then Milera.

I expect them to select Milera and I will have egg on my face when he rips the Cats apart.

Does that mean he will not be available this week?

Out on the turps?

My gut feel is Hampton first choice, then Menzel then Milera.

I expect them to select Milera and I will have egg on my face when he rips the Cats apart.
Hampton can also roll through the midfield if required and I'm not sure Milera will stand up in the furnace of Finals Footy , if Milera is selected I hope like hell I'm wrong but.

- Sloane recovering from appendix
- Tex recovering from foot
- Talia recovering from various
- Smith out with ACL
- Gov out with hamstring
- Since pre-finals bye introduced, 0% winrate for QF winners making grand final
- Opponent is closest we have to a bogey team right now
- 0/4 on prelims since 1999

Thisisfine.jpg

This is the one game this year I am pessimistic about. Plow through this in the same manner as last week and the grand final will be downhill.

We've got this, Geelong played their prelim last week while the boys were surfing up the coast. Danger will kick plenty and get 35 possessions but the rest of the team will go missing.

MCrouch 2017 Brownlow Winner

Yeah we tried that at their shithole earlier in the year. Otten was deplorable and we struggled to get any ground ball. We wont go that way again. McGovern is a special type of player that allows us to play all the tall forwards. You cant plug another slow big guy in for him and expect it to work.

Probably a fair call. I like Otten but I don't believe he is a good IN for Shooter.

MCrouch 2017 Brownlow Winner

In: Sloane, Keath/Hampton

Brown Hartigan Lever
Laird Talia Kelly
Cameron Sloane Atkins
Lynch Walker Knight
Betts Jenkins Douglas

Jacobs MCrouch BCrouch

Mackay Greenwood Seedsman Keath/Hampton

Shouldnt be picked:
Otten, Milera, Menzel: Definite No.

Last edited:
I think we're splitting hairs regarding the 3 - Hampton, Milera and Menzel. Each have their pros and cons, and fair reasonings for their inclusions.
I can see Keath and Otten being also reasonable arguments, but for team balance, we're looking more for 2 runners, and Sloane already being one obvious inclusion.
I think there is no real right or wrong, but this is where we simply rely on the coaching panel to do the right selection because they will have first-hand account of current form in the recent SANFL and trial matches.
We also need to understand a player who is included in the 22 is never a guarantee to perform at peak level. It's only a matter of probability of how well they will get the job done. The main thing I really want to see is the hunger shown in this PF, because this can either make or bust their AFL careers by these Finals performances.

Going to be a tough call!

People have been making genuinely good cases for all four of Milera, Menzel, Otten and Hampton. And even Keath.

Very tough to bring only one of these guys in. Probably need to drop Mackay really.

Going to be a tough call!

People have been making genuinely good cases for all four of Milera, Menzel, Otten and Hampton. And even Keath.

Very tough to bring only one of these guys in. Probably need to drop Mackay really.
If anyone wants to get rid of Mackay for the 5 mentioned above, now is probably not the time to be outspoken on Mackay hate. He has been one of the more reliable contributors in the past month. One of the hardest runners we have and is allowing for the structures and team balance to work.

Dare I say it,. but IF McGovern doesn't play, the ONLY players I could see getting a game would be Otten or Milera.

I just can't see the Crows selection team going for someone that is unproven (Wigg, Doedee, Jarman) or risking it with someone who hasn't played senior footy for us in a while and form hasn't really pushed selection (Hampton, Thompson, Beech) and I think Keath would make us a little top heavy down back with Talia, Lever and Hartigan.

I love Milera long term, but I think for the short term - We would probably be better off bringing in Otten, he has proved this year that he can be a decent swingman option,.. YES he does go missing at times, and YES he can be a little erratic, BUT he is much more of a like for like player than Milera when looking at a replacement for McGovern. And he also adds another defending option if someone gets injured down back during the game etc,.

But who knows,. maybe they throw a game to Milera and see what the kid can do on the big stage. Not to mention, that would mean we have some real outside pace players (atkins, milera, knight, mackay, cameron, seedsman) is this a good thing? or is it too much of a good thing?

It's a really interesting decision though,. Because in a prelim final, if you have 1-2 passengers out there,. I reckon you lose.

My Starting lineup would be (Based on McGovern not playing, if he is - replace him with Otten)

IN: Sloane, Otten
OUT: Smith(inj.), McGovern(inj.)

FB: Brown / Talia / Kelly
HB: Lever / Hartigan / Laird
C: Atkins / Greenwood / Sloane
HF: Douglas / Walker / Lynch
FF: Otten / Jenkins / Betts
FOLL: Jacobs / MCrouch / Bcrouch

INT: Seedsman / Mackay / Knight / Cameron

Knight to do a job on Selwood, Kelly to go to Dangerfield (when in forwardline)

GO CROWS!!

In: Sloane, Hampton

Gives us plenty of flanker options, so we can rotate like crazy. I prefer Hampton's aggression than Milera at this point in the heat of a final.

B: Brown, Talia, Kelly
HB: Lever, Hartigan, Laird
C: Sloane, Mrouch, Atkins
HF: Lynch, Walker, Knight
F: Betts, Jenkins, Cameron
R: Jacobs, Douglas, Brouch
I: Seedsman, Greenwood, Mackay, Hampton

Hampton or Mentzel for me as Milera is still a bit flakey with his intent and pressure

Menzel is obviously the better forward however Hampton provides more versatility as he can play HF, wing, mid
Or HB

During presser Teague was asked who replaces gov. He mentioned Hampton been training well, Milera is an option but was def more positive with Menzel, saying his last month of sanfl has been really good, kicking goals and pressure acts really good. I think he will push for Menz but that may not be the consensus at match committee. Interesting view though, didn't mention Otto. Stated they will look for the right balance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not possible

We were told all weekend by a self proclaimed smart person that suggesting Menz was stupid and we were all idiots :D

Back