Game Day Lost Dogs Home V Lions 30/3/23

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is basically the exact same team I would pick, yet if Lobb needs another week bring in another small. Daniel must be on notice as well, looked like an under 14 player trying to compete with the seniors, just couldn't keep up in the middle, not sure were he can play anymore?
I’d be playing Daniel half fwd rolling up into the contest this week. Agree he’s on notice.

I think he could still go back and be an AA quality half back flank but just not in our current side where we can’t defend transition. For example I think he’d be a weapon in Melbs defence who have no issues there and can play to his strengths, but when the opposition is moving the ball as freely as they are right now he just cannot fit there

Can't agree on this. He was a shining light in the McCartney era.
I think he's been more than fine to be honest. Some just seem to crack it at Jack at the first sign of trouble.
The little guy and the captain seem more of an issue to me.
I get where you’re coming from here until you throw Bont in it, he was the only one absolutely busting his ass last week and trying to will us back into the game

Shuffling deck chairs, truth is we've been horrible now for quite some time, kicking more points than goals in 9 of last 11 games, bottom teams do that. Been hard to watch, all confidence gone, we need change.
People go on about shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic as though it would have been a completely pointless exercise. I maintain that with just the right amount of shuffling I could have kept that ship afloat.

I honestly cannot see the logic behind upgrading West from our VFL midfield then dropping him when he doesn't perform well in our senior side's forward line.

It's so stupid

To be honest, I’d rather drop Baz, make a statement and play west in the middle. He’s too slow to be a pressure forward - he’s similar to Mitch Wallis.

Didn't say he wasn't trying. I'm saying he was unable to do anything about it. Much like Macrae.
Ever since Bont's hip troubles he has been less effective as an inside extractor and much more reliant on Dunkley and Libba to allow him to play more of an inside-outside link role. It is a major reason why I was more concerned about the loss of Dunks than others.

Bont is still a phenomenal, absolutely top-line player in the game. But tearing the ball out of heavy congestion isn't his top strength. The Olivers of the league have far surpassed him in this part of the game. The problem is that we don't have anybody picking up the slack atm.

Anyway, all this being said, I am not really concerned about Bont - he is still very effective. But I don't think we can rely on him to turn the tide in the way you're hoping. Our balance in there is way off atm. As much as I agree CD's form is probably more concerning, he is at least bringing some defensive intensity. Macrae's is lacking right now for mine.

Main change id make this week is to completely cut the press on both ends and try to spread the ground.

Sit our defence back and cut loose from halfback through the corridor. when the balls inside 50 I do not want to see us press up and lock it in. All this does is flood our own forward line and allow the opposition to inevitably get it out over the back for an easy score.

Hold position with our defensive line! And in the same regard hold our forward line too, don’t push up to support our defence - our midfield can do that. I always want our forwards in the front half of the ground, then when we slingshot off half back we’ve got targets to kick to. Turnover footy is king.

Cleary Jones Croz
Dale Gardner Richards

Baker Libba Baz
English Macrae Bont

Treloar Lobb AJ
Garcia Naughty Marra

Daniel, Williams, Scott, Buku S: West

In: Cleary, Gardner, Lobb, Treloar, AJ, Buku

Out: Doc, Bruce, Darcy, McLean, Keath

If Lobb doesn’t play then Darcy stays otherwise he needs to play VFL for now, Buku is a better option currently. I’m sick of Doc in our backline he’s so slow and constantly goes to ground, time for Cleary.

Rest of the changes are self explanatory
Yep then get payers knocking the ball forward when under heat.No need to be caught holding ball in the forward line.
JUH actually played well! Just needs to know when to take pocession. And when to knock it forward.
Notice how Hunter isn't looking backwards anymore.Because Melbourne told him if he does !He plays 2s.!
Daniel, Keath ,Macrae and co should be told likewise.Move the ball forward.!
Go watch that goal of the 2016 preliminary where Clay ,Picken ,Dickson.even Stringer just moved it forward.Resulting in success.

Anyway, all this being said, I am not really concerned about Bont - he is still very effective. But I don't think we can rely on him to turn the tide in the way you're hoping. Our balance in there is way off atm. As much as I agree CD's form is probably more concerning, he is at least bringing some defensive intensity. Macrae's is lacking right now for mine.
CD & Macrae are the two biggest issues for mine too.
Smith has his flaws but he's at least covering ground at speed, which we lack.
I'm not sure exactly what we want to do with CD, and perhaps he's getting a bit confused too.

I am more open to trying West mid than our coaches seem to be, but regardless of your AFL/VFL role or whatever other factors you want to throw in, 4 disposals (3 handballs), 3 tackles (0 inside 50) and less pressure acts than all but four non-KPP players in the team in a full game is not something we can carry right now.
I absolutely agree.

I would honestly drop Macrae and CD and give West an extended run in a familiar position. Same with Garcia.

But I'm a big footy nuffy so I'm sure there's reasons not too.

In- Treloar, A.Jones, Lobb, Gardner, Cleary
Out- Bruce, JUH, Darcy, Scott, McCoomb

B Crozier Gardner Keath
HB Dale Jones Richards
C Macrae Libreatore Smith
HF Daniel Naughton Garcia
F A.Jones Lobb McLean
FOLL- English West Bontempelli
I/C- Treloar, Cleary, Duryea, Williams
Sub- Baker

Arty's in. How good would it be to see Arty and the Flea working together in the forward line?

Ever since Bont's hip troubles he has been less effective as an inside extractor and much more reliant on Dunkley and Libba to allow him to play more of an inside-outside link role. It is a major reason why I was more concerned about the loss of Dunks than others.

Bont is still a phenomenal, absolutely top-line player in the game. But tearing the ball out of heavy congestion isn't his top strength. The Olivers of the league have far surpassed him in this part of the game. The problem is that we don't have anybody picking up the slack atm.

I see a significant factor in CD's issues being related to his current position, which he doesn't appear well suited to (where have we ever seen that before in a Luke Beveridge team?), thats not to say his form is close to what we'd expect. Macrae to me is purely form and intensity, as you say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CD & Macrae are the two biggest issues for mine too.
Smith has his flaws but he's at least covering ground at speed, which we lack.
I'm not sure exactly what we want to do with CD, and perhaps he's getting a bit confused too.
I'm pretty sure that Macrae is carrying something....ribs?

CD has been worked out (and gets worked over) and other teams play through him sometimes with great effect. He doesn't have the physical attributes to counter the tactics that other teams are using on him.

Smith plays like a millionaire. Would love to see a lot more grit from him.

Didn't see the Arty Jones debut coming, but hope he goes well!
Really? I guess it was under some doubt whether the club would bring him back from injury straight into his AFL debut but he was a lock for the round 1 team a couple of weeks ago had he not been injured.

I don't think Macrae is any worse than he's always been.
However with where we're at maybe a decidedly more defensive Macrae is needed.

Bont I think is less hip and more of a bulk issue. I think he's too big and it has had repercussions on his agility.

I genuinely do not see defensive intensity from Caleb and I'm not sure how anyone can. I see a lot of one armed tackle attempts and plodding chases. But maybe I'm not watching closely enough.

I don't think Macrae is any worse than he's always been.
However with where we're at maybe a decidedly more defensive Macrae is needed.

Bont I think is less hip and more of a bulk issue. I think he's too big and it has had repercussions on his agility.

I genuinely do not see defensive intensity from Caleb and I'm not sure how anyone can. I see a lot of one armed tackle attempts and plodding chases. But maybe I'm not watching closely enough.
I think Macrae is probably a touch worse than normal, but I think it's more that it's just a bigger problem now given the mix of players inside the contest. There aren't enough picking up the slack.

Certainly don't think Daniel is the model of defensive intensity but he was undoubtedly better than Macrae vs St Kilda imo. If I look at it statistically, although he only had one extra tackle (3 vs 2), he doubled Macrae's pressure acts (32 to 16). I just don't know who else is better placed right now. Treloar is similarly weak in that area of the game, Baz looks way off it, and then we're down to throwing someone like McLean/West/McComb in there and hoping for the best. Maybe the latter is what we need but I'm not sure it will bear fruit.

Didn't see the Arty Jones debut coming, but hope he goes well!
Will be a great PR move, hoping to calm the farm. Sensing the club has received a fair amount of negative feedback over past days. Not that Arty doesn’t deserve a debut, he’s worked for it. Who will make way?

Woo Arty! He will give us plenty of energy. Something we desperately need.

Hopefully we keep him in. Would form a great duo with Weightman.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back