Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - PF vs. GWS, MCG 22/9 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan McStay aggravated his finger issue at training if that counts.

It's pretty incredible there haven't been others. A finger is a real random one too. I was thinking more leg muscle tears. The timing is ordinary.

Lipinski replacing Adams is not well thought out..
Lipinski had his best game of the year last time he was moved in to the middle (Geelong game).
Giving him and Crisp more midfield minutes is a perfectly legitimate strategy in lieu of Adams.

Lipinski on-ball is not something we should consider. He is poor in the contest and has no leg speed to effectively defend or create space. Lipinski himself needs space to be effective which is why he is a half forward that floats up to the outside of the contest.

Mitchell, De Goey, Crisp, N. Daicos and Pendlebury are going to need to get the job done for us. Adams injury is rotten luck and rotten timing. We have no clear replacements and will miss his competitiveness.

Wade has already said it was a minor strain..not even a grade 1, that's how minor. Just calling it soreness now. And here he was at training today..

I mean if we were ever gonna role the dice on an injury ...

Last time we played GWS they had a couple out.

IQ should get the chance at Toby.

Moore to Hogan.

Murphy to Riccardi.

WHE and Maynard to Daniels and Bedford.

I’d be interested to see WHE assigned to Whitfield in a defensive role. Think he matches up well and Whitfield’s influence needs to be quelled.

Not sure if Adams is worth the roll of the dice but still think he gets through, hopefully doesnt break down during the big one (if we make it)

Adams is underated and underappreciated. His will to compete is incredibly important to the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lipinski on-ball is not something we should consider. He is poor in the contest and has no leg speed to effectively defend or create space. Lipinski himself needs space to be effective which is why he is a half forward that floats up to the outside of the contest.

Mitchell, De Goey, Crisp, N. Daicos and Pendlebury are going to need to get the job done for us. Adams injury is rotten luck and rotten timing. We have no clear replacements and will miss his competitiveness.
His best game this year was on-ball and he had 60% contested possessions 🤷🏻

I didn’t realise Taylor didn’t play last time we met.

Very clear watching the replay of the semi that we will need to have McStay and Cox/Mihocek leading to opposite pockets to draw Taylor away, and avoid kicking long unless we can get entries deep.

The commentators were saying that we’re a good matchup for the Giants but I disagree; the Giants, like us, want teams kicking the ball long from half-back so they can intercept with Taylor and Himmelberg… this is what Port did ad nauseum with no forward structure. We need the overlap run and then have Sidebottom/Lipinski/De Goey/Hill kicking it in flat at angles from the corridor to our small targets of Elliott, McCreery, Ginnivan etc.

We will also need to pressure their midfield to make them take the same longer kicks to get inside 50m. If Briggs is absent this will help us level the centre clearances, so the faster GWS mids aren’t bursting from the middle.

I didn’t realise Taylor didn’t play last time we met.

Very clear watching the replay of the semi that we will need to have McStay and Cox/Mihocek leading to opposite pockets to draw Taylor away, and avoid kicking long unless we can get entries deep.

The commentators were saying that we’re a good matchup for the Giants but I disagree; the Giants, like us, want teams kicking the ball long from half-back so they can intercept with Taylor and Himmelberg… this is what Port did ad nauseum with no forward structure. We need the overlap run and then have Sidebottom/Lipinski/De Goey/Hill kicking it in flat at angles from the corridor to our small targets of Elliott, McCreery, Ginnivan etc.

We will also need to pressure their midfield to make them take the same longer kicks to get inside 50m. If Briggs is absent this will help us level the centre clearances, so the faster GWS mids aren’t bursting from the middle.
I think Port are the only good team regularly playing 3 tall forwards at once. It's a bit ideal for a team who intercepts well and look to move it quickly. They have to bang in long markable balls which the interceptors love and the rebounders love talls who can't keep up with their agility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back