Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - PF vs. GWS, MCG 22/9 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t realise Taylor didn’t play last time we met.

Very clear watching the replay of the semi that we will need to have McStay and Cox/Mihocek leading to opposite pockets to draw Taylor away, and avoid kicking long unless we can get entries deep.

The commentators were saying that we’re a good matchup for the Giants but I disagree; the Giants, like us, want teams kicking the ball long from half-back so they can intercept with Taylor and Himmelberg… this is what Port did ad nauseum with no forward structure. We need the overlap run and then have Sidebottom/Lipinski/De Goey/Hill kicking it in flat at angles from the corridor to our small targets of Elliott, McCreery, Ginnivan etc.

We will also need to pressure their midfield to make them take the same longer kicks to get inside 50m. If Briggs is absent this will help us level the centre clearances, so the faster GWS mids aren’t bursting from the middle.
Very astute.

Adams is underated and underappreciated. His will to compete is incredibly important to the team.
Love the Will and drive in him. You just worry on the big day if we make it, him breaking down last last year in the Prelim early and then we’re definitely one down and a major cog too.

Very clear watching the replay of the semi that we will need to have McStay and Cox/Mihocek leading to opposite pockets to draw Taylor away, and avoid kicking long unless we can get entries deep.

The commentators were saying that we’re a good matchup for the Giants but I disagree; the Giants, like us, want teams kicking the ball long from half-back so they can intercept with Taylor and Himmelberg… this is what Port did ad nauseum with no forward structure. We need the overlap run and then have Sidebottom/Lipinski/De Goey/Hill kicking it in flat at angles from the corridor to our small targets of Elliott, McCreery, Ginnivan etc.

We will also need to pressure their midfield to make them take the same longer kicks to get inside 50m. If Briggs is absent this will help us level the centre clearances, so the faster GWS mids aren’t bursting from the middle.
Very good observations.

With gws' flock of small forwards in green, bedford, daniels, and even guys like cumming i wonder if we will opt to bring in the pace of noble over the endurance/marking of hoskin-elliott. Big whe fan but horses for courses selection might go against him.

Very good observations.

With gws' flock of small forwards in green, bedford, daniels, and even guys like cumming i wonder if we will opt to bring in the pace of noble over the endurance/marking of hoskin-elliott. Big whe fan but horses for courses selection might go against him.
I think it will more be that Nick coming into the side pushes Hoskin-Elliott back upfield, potentially

Overall the quality of their ins trumps ours since our last meeting on talent. The caveat is Taylor was missing but so was mcstay. And with mcstay addition allows us to cover Taylor a bit more. Greene is the obvious big addition..

My expectation is

In Daicos Out Adams
In Noble Out Ginni ( based on match ups)
Noble sub (comes in to replace daicos role, who moves into the centre, and one of the mids moves forward, and one ruck goes out)

Overall the quality of their ins trumps ours since our last meeting on talent. The caveat is Taylor was missing but so was mcstay. And with mcstay addition allows us to cover Taylor a bit more. Greene is the obvious big addition..

True, but it was an 11-goal win!

Giants are playing well but still managed to lose to the Swans and Power back-to-back when they had everything to play for.

We should have every reason to be confident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giants have been playing well, but a look at their wins and it’s actually not as good as I thought tbh.

They flogged the bombers but well we know how that went.

Close wins aginst Melb (Alice springs…..) dogs (Canberra) so both neutral grounds tbh… adel (in adel) is a good win. That’s tough.

Losses to syd and port. Big win against Gold Coast and blues (bit of a dead rubber)

Finals win against saints (enough said) and a battered and injured port who if not for bad kicking could have won in the second half.

Have they been good? Yes. But I don’t think they’ve been as good as the hype around them.

Def beatable. And much preferred to bris at the Gabba

id really be tempted to drop Cameron ..he isn't in form ..cox was best on ground against them last time ...Briggs will be limited also ..do we roll the dice with noble as another runner or bring in Frampton as second ruck versatile key position back up

I'm surprised he's still on an AFL list
There was a rather glowing article written about him when he reached some milestone earlier this year. Always wondered, if he was such a great guy for culture, why he was traded? But BigFooty has since quelled my doubts.

id really be tempted to drop Cameron ..he isn't in form ..cox was best on ground against them last time ...Briggs will be limited also ..do we roll the dice with noble as another runner or bring in Frampton as second ruck versatile key position back up
Cox will naturally exploit the injury Briggs is carrying. He's spoken about this enough on his podcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back