Preview P.F. vs. GWS (Sat 21/09 4:35pm MCG) In: Reid/Aish, Out: JDG/Levi. Teams #1523

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now you’re just being silly ...

... everybody knows that the decent Sauv Blanc comes from NZ and the good Chardy comes from Margaret River. And they wouldn’t be so uncouth to serve Sauv Blanc with Smoked Trout - a trap for young players who automatically match Sauv Blanc with seafood. The heavy flavors in the Smoked Trout needs a decent oaked Chardy (or aged Semillon) to balance it out.

Anyway, what was your point?
No, No, No. The earlier post mentioned smoked salmon, not trout. The fattiness of the salmon needs something dry to cut through. I usually go with a sancerre, but an NZ sav blanc will do at a pinch. Stay away from the rabbit terrine, even though it was innocent.

... everybody knows that the decent Sauv Blanc comes from NZ and the good Chardy comes from Margaret River. And they wouldn’t be so uncouth to serve Sauv Blanc with Smoked Trout - a trap for young players who automatically match Sauv Blanc with seafood. The heavy flavors in the Smoked Trout needs a decent oaked Chardy (or aged Semillon) to balance it out.

Wonderful post but I referred to smoked salmon not smoked trout :)

De Boer will go to Steele so I'd look to isolate him deep forward at times. De Boer is very strong around stoppages and has the aerobic capacity to match the very best mids, hence why he's a great tagger.

Does be have the footy smarts when he's stuck deep in his defensive 50? I doubt it.

We were flat as a tack last time we played GWS. Hence the 8 goal margin at 1/4 time. Both sides are very different since then. Our team defence has gone through the roof in recent times. If we maintain our intensity around the footy with Rupe and Adams going to town inside then Treloar and Pendles can cut them up outside.

Haynes and Davis are terriffic interceptors so Reid must come in. Both he and Mihocek will be crucial in keeping their 2 gun defenders accountable.

I wouldn't be against Moore going head to head with Cameron. Roughy to Finlayson and either Howe or Schaz going to Himmelberg, pending selection.

If that little turd Greene does play then Bruzzy Maynard will give him a hell of a time on Saturday.

I'm wary of the Giants. They have firepower to go the whole way this year. However, I'm confident in what our boys will be produce when it matters and in front of a packed out Magpie filled G, we'll get the job done.

No, No, No. The earlier post mentioned smoked salmon, not trout. The fattiness of the salmon needs something dry to cut through. I usually go with a sancerre, but an NZ sav blanc will do at a pinch. Stay away from the rabbit terrine, even though it was innocent.

Surely that was a mistake, smoked salmon is a bit generic don’t you think? May as well have a four’n’twenty pie with chips.

Like a lot of my posts (and many others here) - absolutely no idea what my point was - I do remember a nice smoked mackerel-earthy little number it was - would have completely overridden a delicate white

Expert Opinion
Mick McGuane takes an in-depth look at the preliminary final between Collingwood and GWS

Scott Pendlebury is a big reason why Collingwood is the AFL’s leading disposal team and will be GWS tagger Matt de Boer’s next target. Mick McGuane reveals where the preliminary final will be won and lost.
Mick McGuane, Herald Sun

Collingwood loves getting its hands on the ball — and keeping it.
The Magpies rank No.1 for disposals this season and No.1 for uncontested possessions.

They have also introduced a short kicking and marking game, ranking fourth for short kicks and second for marks.

This greater control of the ball than last year has given them greater protection from turnovers.

The Giants rely on scoring from stoppages more than any other team.

They rank third for contested possessions and second for clearances and are efficient once they get the ball inside 50.

COLLINGWOOD
THE KEY

The Pies need to ensure the ball comes to ground in the forward line. The Giants won the intercept marks 22-8 against Brisbane. Phil Davis and Nick Haynes rank first and third in the AFL for intercept marks this year. As the main target, Brody Mihocek has to create a contest to let the Pies’ smalls get to work at ground level. If they don’t get the midfield-forward connection right, they’ll play into the hands of the Giants.

THE CHALLENGE

Play with speed — that’s when the Magpies play their best football. It complements their natural instinctive forwards in Jaidyn Stephenson, Jamie Elliott and Will Hoskin-Elliott. Even Brody Mihocek benefits. You can’t afford to let Phil Davis and Nick Haynes get set in defence for the Giants. Keep the game up tempo when the opportunities present.

THE THEME

Play with speed. I think that’s when the Magpies play their best football. It complements their natural instinctive forwards in Jamie Elliott, Jayden Stephenson and Will Hoskin-Elliott. Even Brody Mihocek benefits. You can’t afford to let Phil Davis and Nick Haynes get set in defence for the Giants. Keep the game up tempo when the opportunities present.

IF I WAS COLLINGWOOD …

I’d be heavily rotating Jaidyn Stephenson, Jamie Elliott and Will Hoskin-Elliott close to goal on Heath Shaw, who likes to take the deepest opposition forward. Make him accountable, throw different combinations at him and beat him with speed. At the other end, who goes to Jeremy Cameron, Jeremy Finlayson and Harry Himmelberg? You have to get that right.

If Toby Greene gets off at a tribunal hearing, he becomes the key focus as the Giants’ barometer. I’d be sending Brayden Maynard to him when he plays forward, but back the midfield system when he pushes up the ground.

GWS
THE KEY

The Giants must make sure they use the ball well going inside 50m. If not, Jeremy Howe and Darcy Moore are going to pick it off, as they did in the qualifying final against Geelong. The Giants have been good at making the most of their inside-50 entries this year, but the Pies have the best defence going around.

THE CHALLENGE

To kick a winning score. It’s as simple as that. The Magpies haven’t had more than 10 goals kicked against them in any of their past five games, conceding scores of 51, 53, 48, 65 and 51. The Pies’ defensive pressure is great, the pressure at the source of the opposition ball carrier is elite and they are starving the opposition forwards. If you want to rely on kicking 50 points in a preliminary final, good luck.

THE THEME

No regrets. This will be the Giants’ third preliminary final and they are yet to take the next step. The more often you get to the last four, the better experienced you should be in knowing what it takes to get to the big dance. Effort is non-negotiable. This is their chance.

IF I WERE GWS ...

I’d send Matt de Boer straight to Scott Pendlebury. De Boer did a fantastic job again on Brisbane’s Lachie Neale on Saturday night, holding him to less than 20 disposals for the first time this year. The Magpies have a deep midfield, but if you can limit Pendlebury’s time and space, it will go a long way to winning as he is their best ball user.

It will limit Nathan Buckley’s options, too. He could send Pendles to half-back to try and break the tag, but probably wouldn’t want him forward. Mr September, Steele Sidebottom, must also be stopped. I’d be looking to put Sam Reid on him, not dissimilar to what the Giants did against Western Bulldogs wingman Lachie Hunter.

PREDICTION: Collingwood by 14

Like a lot of my posts (and many others here) - absolutely no idea what my point was - I do remember a nice smoked mackerel-earthy little number it was - would have completely overridden a delicate white

Haha, your point is that you’ve just outed yourself (along with me and sideswipe ) as a proud member of the lacrosse loving corporate w***ers club :D

Haha, your point is that you’ve just outed yourself (along with me and sideswipe ) as a proud member of the lacrosse loving corporate w***ers club :D
Call me a w***er, but don't you dare call me a lacrosse-lover. That sh-t sport uses some of the best ovals Melbourne, not the least of which is the MCC's Albert Reserve. Could be a great club footy oval. It really spoils my office view until it goes back to being a cricket ground.

now yore being silly (it's a liberating feeling isn't it?) - never played lacrosse in my life - had lunch in the Long Room once - pre rabbit terrine days - have been called a w***er a few times - but I must declare not in the corporate scene... :) - had a nice dinner at the Flowerdrum a couple of weeks ago....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a Richmond supporters analysis of our game (Taken from the GWS board)

"
Giants can best Collingwood in Melbourne.

Have a look at how GWS beat Collingwood just in terms of ways to out match the Pies in terms of exploiting weakness they have.

GWS are starting to understand finals footy versus witches hats footy.

To win finals defence is key and shape very important apart form how you move the ball on under increased pressure

GWS need to back their forwards in more because remember they should have a marking advantage over the pies.

GWS need to go longer from the backline more often even if it comes back and back their defensive set-up rather than go shortish and turn balls over causing goals.

Remember GWS have Cameron, Finlayson, Himma and Tomlinson to present from high half forward. Use that from the backline and don't lose GWS defensive shape too often with short plays and running plays. Taylor was good towards the end just putting it on the boot kicking long and if it cam back backing in his defence showing confidence in his teammates

Whitfield is an interesting one. He looked sore and was weakening and yet he found something in the last quarter with his endurance base. This is something to keep in mind in terms of match ups and methods of play. Maybe Whitfield can go from high half forward,Toby in the guts and Whitfield creating there from his endurance base with defence kicking long from the backline to play a percentage game where GWS energy is conserved so a full game can be played out.

Holding the ball for too long in the contest can be a killer in finals pressure intensity. I remember Hopper going laterally in the forward line towards the end eventually taking a kick where really he could have acknowledged the pressure earlier and just put the ball on the foot and back the forwards in even with a chaos ball!! Its like Kelly holding on to the ball too long, handball gets turned over GWS lose match versus the bombers in Melbourne. Remember winning finals that are intense is a marathon, not a sprint, its important to play smart and efficient including not wasting your energy in transition. This includes not wasting energy for the most ideal outlet all the time which gets compressed with an opposition tackle or smother or other pressure act because the mids did not believe in the forwards and/or the defence to repeal a quick rebound up the field. To win the game, every game its goals/behinds scored versus goals/behinds against and territory becomes relevant like scoring pressure when there are battles everywhere within the war of the game.

Kelly was good at the end to. His strength is important from the xtra miles in his legs as is his precision to exploit oppositions defences. Kicking to penetrate the opposition wherever possible is key.

The ruck is an interesting one, don't like the free kicks and I liked Himma, Finalyson and Tomlinson in the ruck at times. With Mummy do not like the free kicks, really worried me as a real weakness, is Okeefe a left field substitute in the ruck?? "

This is a Richmond supporters analysis of our game (Taken from the GWS board)

"
Giants can best Collingwood in Melbourne.

Have a look at how GWS beat Collingwood just in terms of ways to out match the Pies in terms of exploiting weakness they have.

GWS are starting to understand finals footy versus witches hats footy.

To win finals defence is key and shape very important apart form how you move the ball on under increased pressure

GWS need to back their forwards in more because remember they should have a marking advantage over the pies.

GWS need to go longer from the backline more often even if it comes back and back their defensive set-up rather than go shortish and turn balls over causing goals.

Remember GWS have Cameron, Finlayson, Himma and Tomlinson to present from high half forward. Use that from the backline and don't lose GWS defensive shape too often with short plays and running plays. Taylor was good towards the end just putting it on the boot kicking long and if it cam back backing in his defence showing confidence in his teammates

Whitfield is an interesting one. He looked sore and was weakening and yet he found something in the last quarter with his endurance base. This is something to keep in mind in terms of match ups and methods of play. Maybe Whitfield can go from high half forward,Toby in the guts and Whitfield creating there from his endurance base with defence kicking long from the backline to play a percentage game where GWS energy is conserved so a full game can be played out.

Holding the ball for too long in the contest can be a killer in finals pressure intensity. I remember Hopper going laterally in the forward line towards the end eventually taking a kick where really he could have acknowledged the pressure earlier and just put the ball on the foot and back the forwards in even with a chaos ball!! Its like Kelly holding on to the ball too long, handball gets turned over GWS lose match versus the bombers in Melbourne. Remember winning finals that are intense is a marathon, not a sprint, its important to play smart and efficient including not wasting your energy in transition. This includes not wasting energy for the most ideal outlet all the time which gets compressed with an opposition tackle or smother or other pressure act because the mids did not believe in the forwards and/or the defence to repeal a quick rebound up the field. To win the game, every game its goals/behinds scored versus goals/behinds against and territory becomes relevant like scoring pressure when there are battles everywhere within the war of the game.

Kelly was good at the end to. His strength is important from the xtra miles in his legs as is his precision to exploit oppositions defences. Kicking to penetrate the opposition wherever possible is key.

The ruck is an interesting one, don't like the free kicks and I liked Himma, Finalyson and Tomlinson in the ruck at times. With Mummy do not like the free kicks, really worried me as a real weakness, is Okeefe a left field substitute in the ruck?? "
That's just a bunch of gooblygook that can be summed up as "just kick it long to Snake Cameron"

That's just a bunch of gooblygook that can be summed up as "just kick it long to Snake Cameron"
Seriously though, this time of year especially, instructions to the players should be clear, simple and minimalist - cannot afford to fill players' heads with complicated, jumbled jargon etc - game plan(s) are pretty well set - maybe the odd tweak - now it's motivation, the will to conquer and not be conquered

Depends on what you consider humour, for me thinking someone having their eyes gouged is an a subject for humour even in theory for some people is part of the reason the AFL feel they can get away with interfering.

'tis but a flesh wound!

De Boer will go to Steele so I'd look to isolate him deep forward at times. De Boer is very strong around stoppages and has the aerobic capacity to match the very best mids, hence why he's a great tagger.

Does be have the footy smarts when he's stuck deep in his defensive 50? I doubt it.

We were flat as a tack last time we played GWS. Hence the 8 goal margin at 1/4 time. Both sides are very different since then. Our team defence has gone through the roof in recent times. If we maintain our intensity around the footy with Rupe and Adams going to town inside then Treloar and Pendles can cut them up outside.

Haynes and Davis are terriffic interceptors so Reid must come in. Both he and Mihocek will be crucial in keeping their 2 gun defenders accountable.

I wouldn't be against Moore going head to head with Cameron. Roughy to Finlayson and either Howe or Schaz going to Himmelberg, pending selection.

If that little turd Greene does play then Bruzzy Maynard will give him a hell of a time on Saturday.

I'm wary of the Giants. They have firepower to go the whole way this year. However, I'm confident in what our boys will be produce when it matters and in front of a packed out Magpie filled G, we'll get the job done.

GWS have shown over the last couple of matches that they'll just leave De Boer in the midfield, moving him to the next in line rather than allow him to be sucked into a pseudo defensive role deep forward.

GWS have shown over the last couple of matches that they'll just leave De Boer in the midfield, moving him to the next in line rather than allow him to be sucked into a pseudo defensive role deep forward.
If that is correct, you shift the player being tagged into a dangerous stoppage position for GWS. I'm not sure where that is exactly, but the obvious position if it were Richmond would be 15-20m at the front of the pack.

Cast your minds back to the Semi Final 2018. GWS had earlier beaten Pies 95 to 79 at the MCG. The week prior, GWS thumped Sydney by 49 and we were bested by WCE.

Last year, they dominated us. GWS was the number 1 clearance team. Toby Greene was in trouble for his 'marking technique'(!). Pies tackling pressure was the best in the league.

On the night, we triumphed by 21 in an initially dour 3 quarters then hung on by 10 points in a 3 goal to 2 last quarter. Jordy De Goey was a bit lame after marking on the lead in the first quarter, Pendles went off with a leg injury.

It's all sounding like history repeating. Hopefully without the injury scares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back