Preview P.F. vs. GWS (Sat 21/09 4:35pm MCG) In: Reid/Aish, Out: JDG/Levi. Teams #1523

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are 6-3 against GWS.

The first was one we shouldn't have lost when Blair slid in with the knees and Steve Johnson kicked a goal at the back of a pack.

The second was at the start of last year when Broomhead broke his leg and I think we had another injury which helped them run over the top of us.

The third was earlier this year.

I really don’t see what value Varcoe adds. If he’s to come in it should be at the expense of Brown and I don’t want to see that either.
Varcoe is in reasonable goal kicking form and if he were to replace DeGoey we maintain our forward structure. The other one he could come in for is Thomas, however I wouldn’t do that either.

If I was picking the team I’d go Reid and Aish.

Between now and Saturday soooooooooo many “rumours” are going to start about players missing.

I predict:

- Grundy
- Adams
- Moore
- Roughead

Will all be rumoured to be missing this week’s game Bub saturday.

just a small aside... I rewatched last years semi with GWS and can I just say that the bear is awesome and it will be so great to see him dominating again next year

Bucks had quite a long chat to Varcoe at the start of training and then put his arm around him at the end. I think we will play Reid for DeGoey, who can also play back up Ruck and therefore not require Roughead to leave defence, where their tall timber did a number on our undersized backline last time we played.

Shaz over Aish if Greene misses.
Noble, Maynard, Crisp can take their small to mid sized forwards.

just a small aside... I rewatched last years semi with GWS and can I just say that the bear is awesome and it will be so great to see him dominating again next year
He has to get past Wills first.

Yes the bear is great but he can't do what Wills does and that is SO valuable comes finals time.

It's Wills spot to lose and Sier has to prove he is capable of sustaining that pressure as well as what he does.

He has to get past Wills first.

Yes the bear is great but he can't do what Wills does and that is SO valuable comes finals time.

It's Wills spot to lose and Sier has to prove he is capable of sustaining that pressure as well as what he does.

For sure, Im a massive wills fan and of course he keeps his place for this year
just saying, bear was bursting through tackles and bombing the ball 50m and hitting teammates on the chest. was really exciting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For sure, Im a massive wills fan and of course he keeps his place for this year
just saying, bear was bursting through tackles and bombing the ball 50m and hitting teammates on the chest. was really exciting
No argument love the bear as well but if it comes down to either/or it may well go in a way most would not expect.

Happened RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME....I was sitting next to the Collingwood cheer squad as Steve Johnson ran past us with his fist up.....bastard.
I actually saw the "Right in Front of ME" bloke at Seppeltsfield Winery in the Barossa the other day. Ive posted this before, but he lives across the road from a mate of mines ex in the Barossa. It was all i could do to resist the urge to take a selfie with him...

Also I agree on how slow the week has gone... having 2 byes in 4 weeks has sucked!

Just looking at the sides, and a few things of note:

1. If Toby Greene misses, the Giants really lack dangerous small forwards. Daniels would be their best, but apart from his match winner last week, he hasn't been a dominant small forward. There's no one else really to note. Their goals come from the talls. This leads me to think that Scharenberg should play over Aish. Stop the talls and we should win.

2. Whilst GWS has the best top end talent in the league, the absence of Whtifield, Coniglio and Greene leaves them really shallow at the bottom end.

3. Further on this point, I would say our bottom 3 are Noble, Wills and Scharenberg/Aish (whoever gets named). All those guys are more than serviceable players. GWS has a long tail. Sam Reid, Lloyd, Daniels, Tomlinson, Corr and Perryman. None of those guys had more than 13 disposals last week. Himmelberg has also been out of form and only had 7 disposals for no goals. To harp on the small forward point, Daniels and Lloyd each had 9 disposals and 1 goal, and Reid had 11 disposals and 0 goals. Lloyd and Reid only combined for 3 tackles, while Daniels at least had 5.

4. Ruck is going to be a huge factor. Mumford got smashed by Martin last week. He also has no real back-up. They tend to use Tomlinson as the 2nd. This means we'll get away with using Reid, or even Rupert Wills (who is the same height as Tomlinson) as the backup. Grundy is bigger, stronger, more agile, quicker, and has a bigger tank than Mumford. But Grundy needs to be careful, because I think Mumford is going to resort to physical tactics, as it is probably his only hope.

Match sim at training has the starting forward line as
Mihocek, Reid, WHE, Billy, Stephenson and JT. Take that to the bank.
Cal Brown has now rotated with JT in the forward line.

On the same basis, I believe Aish comes in for Greenwood. Shaz is donning the ‘yellow’ jumper with others who won’t be playing including Varcoe and our VFL players.

Last edited:
Just looking at the sides, and a few things of note:

1. If Toby Greene misses, the Giants really lack dangerous small forwards. Daniels would be their best, but apart from his match winner last week, he hasn't been a dominant small forward. There's no one else really to note. Their goals come from the talls. This leads me to think that Scharenberg should play over Aish. Stop the talls and we should win.

2. Whilst GWS has the best top end talent in the league, the absence of Whtifield, Coniglio and Greene leaves them really shallow at the bottom end.

3. Further on this point, I would say our bottom 3 are Noble, Wills and Scharenberg/Aish (whoever gets named). All those guys are more than serviceable players. GWS has a long tail. Sam Reid, Lloyd, Daniels, Tomlinson, Corr and Perryman. None of those guys had more than 13 disposals last week. Himmelberg has also been out of form and only had 7 disposals for no goals. To harp on the small forward point, Daniels and Lloyd each had 9 disposals and 1 goal, and Reid had 11 disposals and 0 goals. Lloyd and Reid only combined for 3 tackles, while Daniels at least had 5.

4. Ruck is going to be a huge factor. Mumford got smashed by Martin last week. He also has no real back-up. They tend to use Tomlinson as the 2nd. This means we'll get away with using Reid, or even Rupert Wills (who is the same height as Tomlinson) as the backup. Grundy is bigger, stronger, more agile, quicker, and has a bigger tank than Mumford. But Grundy needs to be careful, because I think Mumford is going to resort to physical tactics, as it is probably his only hope.
The whole GWS ethos this finals series is brutality, shallow gene pool up there.

I was sitting next to the Collingwood cheer squad as Steve Johnson ran past us with his fist up
He was one of us as a kid.
The fact he was at Sydney as a coach this year, (not GWS) may mean he's on our side again.
As TKiL said there has been a rumour about him as a coach too.

Is that a guess or have you heard something? Ballsy if true. Going small backfired last time. Moore back helps but not much height forward.

We have had not much height since Cox went down.

Reason why I like we got Darcy Cameron coming in during the Trade Period

It's hard to be worse than our bottom 2, really. Noble who wasn't in the league before mid year and Wills who's ceiling is solid VFL player. They perform a role but I doubt any teams would look to poach them if they had a chance. Those two players are our team's main weakness.

All the Giants players you've listed have been more solid AFL players. Tomlinson has had other teams looking to poach him for years now.

It's hard to be worse than our bottom 2, really. Noble who wasn't in the league before mid year and Wills who's ceiling is solid VFL player. They perform a role but I doubt any teams would look to poach them if they had a chance. Those two players are our team's main weakness.

All the Giants players you've listed have been more solid AFL players. Tomlinson has had other teams looking to poach him for years now.

And IMHO his value has diminished with each of those years. I think his attraction is more about the plethora of talent they have, their capacity to continue to add to it, and lesser talents being squeezed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back