Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - QF vs. Melbourne, MCG, Thurs 07/09, 7:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One way to counteract Lever and May is not to kick it to them.
We need to lower the eyes going I50 to pick out players either leading or on their own, rather than long bombs.
Tay's kick to Pendles in the first quarter on Friday is an example.
Neither May or Lever had an I50 mark in our rd22? Game last year.
Our gameplan that day completely nullified that strength, just need to rinse and repeat.
And I don’t want to see Salim sauntering around set them up!!

Im baffled that you and many others here prefer to drop Cox over Cameron. Cox has been the better tap ruckman over past two games (actually delivering the ball into the hands of our mids) and is a scary match-up when resting forward - both directly and indirectly by creating chaos for our other forwards to take advantage of. Why get rid of one of our biggest points of difference?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Because I understand the coaching staff and selections.

Howe's game against Brisbane has been overrated.

He essentially tried to play 20-30m behind Andrews who gave him little to no respect. The issue was that Howe never went near the pill himself. If he's to play forward then it has to be similar to the final term v Carlton. He was reacting quickly and charging at the ball. There's no use sagging off your man, if he wants nothing to do with you.

The bloke that has been the most influential defensive forward in the comp this season is, Jake Melksham. Who we don't have to worry about due to his injury. I have no doubt he would've sought out a match up with Darcy Moore. He's a big loss to the Dees forward line. I want Moore to go to Van Rooyen and give him an old fashioned hiding.
I think the theory would have been to get our forward handballing game going and thus get it over the top of Andrews to Howe, forcing him to pull back from his kick away from play positioning. Didn't work.

I've had flashbacks to this years KB game where we continuously turned the ball over 60-80m from goal, time and time again.

The past 6 weeks we've been very content with kicking long down the line. Where has our dare by foot gone? I want to see us switching that mother fcuker across and through the middle of the ground as much as possible. Get Froffies May and Jake the Snake out of position as often as possible.
Nick is a significant out, if he's out. As they're a tough team to break through. Their mids are awesome around the contest and Gawn, Lever, May are really hard to kick through. Got to get the running game and handball chains going. The big thing in our favour is that their forward line is ordinary - meaning they have to control most of the game, whilst we just need to be on top for some short spurts of manic footy to get a score on the board.

Despite the Melb board thinking we only had Degoey out on QB, Our forward line was significantly weaker when we played them. May and lever won’t get is so easy this time. The team we fielded was arguably the weakest we’ve fielded all season
Definitely agree the shape and form of our forward mix has changed significantly since that match, but Cox v Lever/ May is not going to work. We recruited McStay specifically for this type of deep forward big game role and now he’s back we get a chance to see it in action.

One way to counteract Lever and May is not to kick it to them.
We need to lower the eyes going I50 to pick out players either leading or on their own, rather than long bombs.
Tay's kick to Pendles in the first quarter on Friday is an example.
And gain territory across the ground primarily by making use of our pacey players who provide run and carry - McCreery, Hill, Crisp, Jordy, Noble and Markov namely

B: Quaynor, Moore, Maynard
HB: Noble, Murphy, Markov
C: Sidebottom, De Goey, J Daicos
HF: Mihochek, McStay, McCreery
F: Hill, Howe, Elliott
R: Cox, Crisp, Adams
Int: Pendlebury, Mitchell, Kreuger, Ginnivan
SUB: WHE

In: McCreery, Murphy, Moore, Kreuger
Out: Cameron, Frampton, Lipinski, WHE (sub)

I'd select players on form, so using Kreuger as 2nd ruck/forward. Do we need a third tall in defence against Melbourne (i.e. Howe) or can we get away with 4 smaller guys?

Assuming we don't lose anyone, fitting in N Daicos in the following match will require the omission of a decent player.

Last edited:
I understand there is a good chance of rain on Friday, so am going for something a bit more left field:

I'd select players on form, so using Kreuger as 2nd ruck/forward. Do we need a third tall in defence against Melbourne (i.e. Howe) or can we get away with 4 smaller guys?

Assuming we don't lose anyone, fitting in N Daicos in the following match will require the omission of a decent player.
We play next Thursday mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garry Lyon is such a 🤡

He’s not happy with David King highlighting that as minor premiers we have absolutely no advantage given we play a fellow co-tenant of the G. He was suggesting we should get 75% ticketing so the crowd is the advantage. I agree with King.

Just imagine how salty Lyon would be if this was reversed and Melbourne were the minor premier and two games ahead of us in 4th spot.

Garry Lyon is such a 🤡

He’s not happy with David King highlighting that as minor premiers we have absolutely no advantage given we play a fellow co-tenant of the G. He was suggesting we should get 75% ticketing so the crowd is the advantage. I agree with King.

Just imagine how salty Lyon would be if this was reversed and Melbourne were the minor premier and two games ahead of us in 4th spot.
As someone earlier pointed out we got to play geel at the mcg last year despite finishing 4th. Swings and rounds abouts

Garry Lyon is such a 🤡

I hope he’s part of the team on Fox when the game is played. Can’t wait to see his smug face when we beat his mob.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thursday isn't ideal for anyone.

But, i think we are best just embracing it and hopefully Friday work with minimal sleep is worth it.

95k... it's going to be a belter. GF preview imo.
I'm retiring and finishing up next Tuesday, so no problem for me anymore. But I would not be happy if I still had to work.

Definitely agree the shape and form of our forward mix has changed significantly since that match, but Cox v Lever/ May is not going to work. We recruited McStay specifically for this type of deep forward big game role and now he’s back we get a chance to see it in action.
I agree, we need McStay in the team precisely to deal with combinations such as Lever/May. Checkers and McStay can separate them, and with Cox floating in as well, we have a good probability of getting the ball to ground. With Ginni, Beau, Elliott, and Hill in our forward line, the Dees' defence will be terrified when the ball hits the ground.

I'm retiring and finishing up next Tuesday, so no problem for me anymore. But I would not be happy if I still had to work
Good luck with it all mate.
I retired very early on at 54 years of age. After a few years I got bored and working again now.
Only around 30 hours per week.
Enjoy

Fly said that we are a better side with Cox and Cameron in the side, subject to them playing at their best.
Pretty certain that Fly wants to play both.

Ins: Moore, Murphy, McCreery

Outs: Frampton, Macrae and ????? subject to match ups.
But he also said that cox wasn’t at his best recently and was dropped, while Cameron currently isn’t at his best.

I understand there is a good chance of rain on Friday, so am going for something a bit more left field:

Crazy talk bringing in Kreuger. Won’t happen but I kinda like it. Fixes the second ruck question.

Fly said that we are a better side with Cox and Cameron in the side, subject to them playing at their best.
Pretty certain that Fly wants to play both.

Ins: Moore, Murphy, McCreery

Outs: Frampton, Macrae and ????? subject to match ups.
The question mark is the major challenge!!
On the basis of form over the last few weeks, I think Lippa would be the one to make way (along with Frampton and Finn).
Then it becomes an extremely difficult question to decide who should be the sub. I think you are right in saying that it is very much subject to match ups...For example, we know that Melksham is out for them. Does that mean there is less need for an extra small forward? But leaving Oleg as sub would seem problematic, given the energy and joy that he infuses the team with. Should WHE be the sub, even though he suddenly bobs up at moments to save us, and plays a ghost like role (invisible to all those who aren't kindred spirits, but nevertheless valued by the coaches clearly).
Such a difficult decision

As someone earlier pointed out we got to play geel at the mcg last year despite finishing 4th. Swings and rounds abouts
Yep.
As one of many Vic teams, we're less likely to get a home ground advantage in a final, but also less likely to get a home ground disadvantage and it's possible for us to get a home ground advantage in the GF.

We've got it good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back