Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - QF vs. Melbourne, MCG, Thurs 07/09, 7:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do people expect all of Elliott, Adams, Ginnivan, Hill and McCreery to start? I don't, especially if Howe is tipped to play predominantly forward. Ginnivan was sensational against Essendon, but I tip he will be the sub against Melbourne.
He’s not. He said he expects to be back in defence for the finals.

Howe's game against Brisbane has been overrated.

He essentially tried to play 20-30m behind Andrews who gave him little to no respect. The issue was that Howe never went near the pill himself. If he's to play forward then it has to be similar to the final term v Carlton. He was reacting quickly and charging at the ball. There's no use sagging off your man, if he wants nothing to do with you.
Andrews took 1 mark in the first half with Howe playing on him.

When I see names like Corns, Brown and Lyon handing uneducated comments about the greatest club ever to exist, I either tune out or put my fingers down my throat for relief

Let’s be clear

These media flog are as irrelevant as anyone in the media!

Agree, Ginn will be the out as harsh as some will think on this forum

Moore Murphy both a lock, McCreery might not make it if they think Ginn the better option

Wouldn’t mine seeing Elliott as a mid as well to throw things around

Loves to see Krueger get a go, reckon Dees wouldn’t expect that

Howe goes back

Cameron out with Frampton second ruck
You have no idea FFS. what a load

Just flicked on On the Couch, opens with Gary Lyon saying we're playing the "in form Demons" and Jono Brown's first words are "if results go a certain way, we could have a Collingwood vs Carlton final in the second week" 😂😂😂 really setting the tone for a good episode. Could probably just turn it off now.
Watched it and yes, you would have been safe in doing so. The panel talked up all the other finals team, then Lyon spent about 30 seconds on us saying we should acknowledge Collingwood's great effort in finishing H&A on top after such a long season. More about the Pies in next Monday's show.

The question mark is the major challenge!!
On the basis of form over the last few weeks, I think Lippa would be the one to make way (along with Frampton and Finn).
Then it becomes an extremely difficult question to decide who should be the sub. I think you are right in saying that it is very much subject to match ups...For example, we know that Melksham is out for them. Does that mean there is less need for an extra small forward? But leaving Oleg as sub would seem problematic, given the energy and joy that he infuses the team with. Should WHE be the sub, even though he suddenly bobs up at moments to save us, and plays a ghost like role (invisible to all those who aren't kindred spirits, but nevertheless valued by the coaches clearly).
Such a difficult decision

I agree with your three proposed outs but would go for Ginni as sub. Early in the game, I’d want as much running power/speed and tackling pressure as possible. Later in the game, as fatigue sets in, Ginni could come on and have a big impact.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They probably could have smashed us if they kicked straight. But yeah in the end, it was only 4 points.
Inaccuracy needs to be looked at more closely than just, they had a lot of shots that could have been goals. Turn any point into a goal and it changes the course of the game. Goes back to the centre and anything happens from there. We actually won centre clearances 10-7 that game. A point can lock the opposition into defence and not allow them to get their game going, it means more chance at repeat inside 50s and repeat scores, exactly what happened to us in the KB game. Even with their many points we only had 10 less inside 50s, though I guess a number of those came late.

Not having a go at you, or anyone really, I know that when we miss a number of shots I can't resist thinking that if they were goals we could have been so much better. I think it's a bit of a fallacy that ignores many unknowns.

Did anyone watch first crack? I felt like david king started back peddling on his recent alarmist stuff he was saying about us. "Mcrae is right, it's a whole new season the finals..."
Yes he did. For the record here are the First Crack team's picks:

King
Premier: Collingwood
Runner up: Brisbane

Montagna
Premier: Melbourne
Runner up: Brisbane

Huddo

Premier: Brisbane
Runner up: Collingwood (not certain, might have been Dees)

Do people expect all of Elliott, Adams, Ginnivan, Hill and McCreery to start? I don't, especially if Howe is tipped to play predominantly forward. Ginnivan was sensational against Essendon, but I tip he will be the sub against Melbourne.
Add Lipinski to that list, but I think they'll all play and WHE will miss out.

I'm a bit obsessed with how they manage rotations, as I think it'd be so hard to get it right. Here's the explanation about how you do it:

You're not going to play Howe forward and two rucks - doesn't work. If Howe plays forward: McStay is second ruck so out of the forward line for 35%, Checkers 10%, Howe 15%. 60% needs to be covered.

Pendles, Titch, JDG,Josh, Sidey, Crisp starting mids, wings and the Nick role. If they all play 80% game time, you've got to fill an extra 120% with Lippa, Hill, Adams and McCreery playing some mid and wing.

Then you've got the 3 starting small positions - 300%

So all up you're covering 300+120+60. 480%. Which is 6 players at 80% game time each.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gave me a chuckle 😂. I don’t think they liked seeing the harsh reality of how weak our side was

These Melbourne flogs were nowhere to be seen 5 years ago. Now they all show up out of the woodwork after their first flag in 60 years

Collingwood finished on top and Melbourne finished fourth, the commentary around the pies is strange to me, they were 2 games clear on top for a month and 3 games from 3rd so nothing could be gained you can understand they were just bidding time, Pies will be hard to beat in my opinion. Petty and Melksham outs, will be glossed over but these outs in finals will likely have an impact on their scoring

Add Lipinski to that list, but I think they'll all play and WHE will miss out.

I'm a bit obsessed with how they manage rotations, as I think it'd be so hard to get it right. Here's the explanation about how you do it:

You're not going to play Howe forward and two rucks - doesn't work. If Howe plays forward: McStay is second ruck so out of the forward line for 35%, Checkers 10%, Howe 15%. 60% needs to be covered.

Pendles, Titch, JDG,Josh, Sidey, Crisp starting mids, wings and the Nick role. If they all play 80% game time, you've got to fill an extra 120% with Lippa, Hill, Adams and McCreery playing some mid and wing.

Then you've got the 3 starting small positions - 300%

So all up you're covering 300+120+60. 480%. Which is 6 players at 80% game time each.
I'll be extremely disappointed if they opt for Lipinski over Hoskin-Elliott given our plethora of forward options. You'll never see Lipinski get back and do things like this

I'll be extremely disappointed if they opt for Lipinski over Hoskin-Elliott given our plethora of forward options. You'll never see Lipinski get back and do things like this

I think any of them will be unlucky to miss out. But someone will be unlucky. And then if we stay injury free, you'll have two unlucky guys. You could easily put whe in and take one of those guys out.

Garry Lyon is such a

He’s not happy with David King highlighting that as minor premiers we have absolutely no advantage given we play a fellow co-tenant of the G. He was suggesting we should get 75% ticketing so the crowd is the advantage. I agree with King.

Just imagine how salty Lyon would be if this was reversed and Melbourne were the minor premier and two games ahead of us in 4th spot.

I actually believe the footy gods are going to be on our side precisely for this very reason. We deserve it more than them given our year.

I heard this on SEN this morning too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only real worry for this game is the potential to get smashed at centre bounce............... I think our centre square mids need a ruckman that's prepared to jump off the ground and compete and has a plan when he gets his hands to the ball. Cameron usually does neither and I worry we might wait until its too late if Cameron starts there.

I think our coaches will have good plans for the rest of the ground but this area seems to not bother them as much as it should (IMO)

My only real worry for this game is the potential to get smashed at centre bounce............... I think our centre square mids need a ruckman that's prepared to jump off the ground and compete and has a plan when he gets his hands to the ball. Cameron usually does neither and I worry we might wait until its too late if Cameron starts there.

I think our coaches will have good plans for the rest of the ground but this area seems to not bother them as much as it should (IMO)
We won CC in the KB game.

Agree it's a potential problem, as it is for any team against Melbourne. We did win centre clearances 10-7 against them on KB though. No De Goey and no Oliver.

Also, I'm fairly certain we were number 1 in the league for scores from centre bounce a few weeks ago, so we seem to have done fairly well there.

Watched it and yes, you would have been safe in doing so. The panel talked up all the other finals team, then Lyon spent about 30 seconds on us saying we should acknowledge Collingwood's great effort in finishing H&A on top after such a long season. More about the Pies in next Monday's show.
Saw that and Lol’d. Legit spoke about every other team and that’s all we got. Quality.

Kane Cornes is again campaigning for Cox to be dropped on Footy Classified tonight. He really has a chip on his shoulder.
He makes the dumbest comments.

The second most maligned player by the umpires after Gini is Cox.

He contributed to us getting to the 2018 grand final…somehow doesn’t perform. He critically brought the ball to ground, this is immense in finals where you’re kicking the ball long to a contest. What a knob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back