Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 10 vs. SYDNEY - Gabba, Thur 06/08 @ 5:40pm AEST

Well surely the inclusion of Keane was just to give Roughy a rest. Backfired horribly, and if Keane was going to play, then Dunn should have also come in....

He had 7 Kicked on him the Week Before. Keane was not that Bad

For the love of god please never play Magden ever again. When I saw he was an inclusion I knew we were in trouble.
Yeah?

I thought he was ok. He gave a good contest unlike a lot of our mob.

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Somehow we’ve managed to stuff up the best defence in the competition. We were restricting teams to five goals a game. Now at times we’re letting them score that many in a single quarter. Sure, Howe is a big out but not that big. Experimenting with Keane and Madgen, throwing Moore forward and throwing Crisp into the mids has destabilised our once bulletproof back line. So now we’ve got problems all over the ground, not just in the mids and up forward. Well played, coaches and selectors. Genius.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've had a long think over lunch, and I've come to the following conclusion.

1. We were 1 small defender heavy and 1 tall forward short. It seems we wanted to play Crisp on the ball to tag Fyfe, which is why we went the extra defender. Personally, I'd be leaving Crisp in defence.

2. We lack pace on the wings with both Mayne and Phillips out of form.

I would be doing the following:

Change 1: Reid in for Varcoe - As I said above, we are 1 small defender too many, so I'd replace one with a key forward. I think Varcoe is past it to be honest. I'd be putting the reliance on Noble and Quaynor who look to be the future, alongside Crisp and Maynard. I think it is time to consider playing a 3 tall forward line. We need targets. The good teams are all doing it. West Coast, Richmond, Brisbane, GWS and Port all have multiple tall options forward. We played Hawthorn with 3 talls and it worked. Reid is probably the best key forward we have on the list right now. It's his time to shine.

Change 2: Roughead in for Magden - We can't play both Magden and Keane. It's too inexperienced. Hopefully the week off has allowed Roughead to regroup. If not, then Dunn should be considered. Magden and Keane are interchangeable, but I'd give Keane at least another week, on a lesser opponent, to see if he can settle in. I think Keane is a real prospect, but you don't want to shatter his confidence by dropping him after 1 game.

Change 3: Appleby in for Thomas - Appleby has been one of the best in scratch matches, he has a real dip and looks to me to be pretty quick. JT is just horribly out of form and potentially cost us the game against Freo with so many poor skill errors. At worst, Appleby will have a dip.

Change 4: Broomhead in for Phillips - I'd play Broomhead forward, and put Daicos and Noble onto the wings for pace. Broomhead is very clean around goal. He may lack a bit with defensive pressure and workrate, but he won't miss chances when they present. Phillips unfortunately is out of form and offering very little other than poor skills.

If it's not Broomhead, I'd give Rantall a go. Would be exciting to see either in the role.

Otherwise I wouldn't be surprised to see T Brown come in given that they like him through the wing/forward swap.

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Watching Doggies mirror image of us, plenty of inside 50’s, far to many handballs, just kick the bloody ball! and completely ineffective inside 50’s/forward line as they don’t have any good tall forwards. It’s not rocket science, teams with less handballs are more effective.
EC37B3B3-8DA0-48F3-89B8-D7D013E5B5C2.png

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Watching Doggies mirror image of us, plenty of inside 50’s, far to many handballs, just kick the bloody ball! and completely ineffective inside 50’s/forward line as they don’t have any good tall forwards.

Case in point was JJ going the extra handball in the second quarter which was chopped off, turned over and sent straight inside 50 for a Robbie Gray goal.

SwanBet

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2007
Heaven
AFL Club
Collingwood
B: B.Maynard, J.Roughead, I.Quaynor
HB: J.Madgen, D.Moore, J.Noble
C: J.Crisp, S.Sidebottom, T.Phillips
HF: J.Elliott, B.Reid, B.Mihochek
F: J.Stephenson, D.Cameron, F.Appleby
R: B.Grundy, T.Adams, A.Treloar
I: T.Varcoe, J.Daicos, B.Sier, W.Hoskin-Elliott

Changes:

1. J.Roughead in for M.Keane - No brainer, interesting that Rough didn't even play 2's on the weekend. Perhaps he was actually managed and not dropped? Regardless, Keane is not ready for the AFL standard yet, and despite many on this board we are still well and truly in the finals race

2. B.Reid in for J.Thomas - The best we have looked all season is when we went with 3 key forward against the Hawks. Aware Reid is nowhere near as athletic as Kelly at this point in his career, but he can really straighten us up. Whenever he plays he is always targeted and presents well.

3. F.Appleby in for C.Mayne - I love Mayney, but hes not in good form, he is 31 and we are playing off a 4 day break. He is managed/omitted... Appleby isn't the crumbing player i am wanting in that forward line, but he deserves a crack at it.

Other notes:

1. Crisp onto the wing - We are crying out for someone to break the lines on that wing, he can provide that run and direct sense of play.

2. Daicos permanently onto the wing - Was playing the best footy of his career to start the season on the wing, get him back there full time. He goes missing far too much up forward

3. Phillips, Madgen- Can both be considered very lucky. Phillips has been nowhere all season long, if not for the reasons mentioned above i would pick Mayne over him in that wing role. Madgen has just struggled whenever he makes the move to AFL level, Sydney have a tall forward line so for balance he should stay in the side. Another poor game and Murphy has to come in.

daicos mark 2

Debutant
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
After one day to sort of calm down from that crap performance I think the following changes need to be made. Will be interesting to see who we rest but I think swans are a team you don’t want to mess around with.

Varcoe survives because he needs to play forward. Can crumb and provide defensive pressure we lack up forward.

Time to put crisp on the wing to break lines that we simply don’t have. Plus With noble and Quaynor doing well we can afford this

We need to try and see if having Reid Mihochek and Cameron can work on our forwardline. I have my doubts but it’s worth trying as we aren’t scoring goals

Out : Thomas madgen keane mayne Phillips
In Reid Roughead Murphy appleby rantall

Maynard Roughead Noble
Murphy moore Quaynor
Daicos Sidebottom crisp
Stephenson Reid mihochek
Elliot Cameron Hoskin-Elliott
Foll: Grundy treloar Adams
Inter: Sier Varcoe appleby rantall

Last chance salon for Stephenson Varcoe WHE

Last edited:

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Seeing as Ben Reid didn't even contest the match simulation, he won't come in to the firsts for the Sydney match. If we're going to go tall, looks like Cox will be the option.
It’s more likely he was rested so he could come straight in

Back